Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2015, 14:15   #16

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Defender warehouse workers on strike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman Ed View Post
looks like they get 6 chances before being let go, way more than at the company I work for.
When I order from Defender, I do expect my order is correct and always has been.
About 8 years ago I had problems with a Defender order. I won't bore you with the details but it took them two more orders and two returns before they got me the correct model barometer. The same order also shipped me an open box clock that had no packing material to stop it from bouncing around and it was supposed to be new in box. At $400 each I was not happy.

I have always been uncomfortable with ordering from Defender after that incident even though I've never had a problem with them since.

I'm sure every union situation is different but when I was in one I got more pay for the same non-union job but they protected the incompetents from getting fired and all the new work rules made it harder to get work done. And surprise when we voted at the union hall all the incompetents were the helpers.
kentobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:30   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amytom View Post
Is it a right to work state? ...
No.
Twenty-two states currently have “right-to-work” laws; Connecticut is not one of them.
Generally, employment in Connecticut is “at-will”, which means that an employer can make unilateral changes to the employment relationship (including changes to an employee’s duties, hours and/or wages) and can terminate or discipline an employee at any time, for any reason, so long as it is not a reason expressly prohibited by law.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:40   #18

That is why unions are hated. They try to bully a business into more money when the job is easy warehouse work. I guess defender needs to consider moving. South would be a good option. Right to work states everywhere....

Unions were made for unsafe coal mines, and now are a political machine that hurts business.
sailnow2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:48   #19

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

I think that $11 /hr is kind of low for that whole northeast seaboard. High taxes, rents and housing costs. Unionizing may not be the answer though. I have never had good feelings or relations with unions. They tend make employers keep bad employees. If the few employees I have decided to unionize, I would just shut down, and we pay much more than $11/hr and can't find anyone willing to work. This younger generation seems to have the attitude that they are doing me a favor by showing up at all, let alone make production. End of rant.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:49   #20

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

I'm guessing Defender is some sort of marine mail order shop is it?

There's a saying about happy and content workers make profits

No business that relies on its staff will succeed if it's workers hate working there.

I'm not keen on unions, but sure as hell the only one that benefits without unions is the owner. Gets fat and rich.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:08   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I'm guessing Defender is some sort of marine mail order shop is it?

There's a saying about happy and content workers make profits

No business that relies on its staff will succeed if it's workers hate working there.

I'm not keen on unions, but sure as hell the only one that benefits without unions is the owner. Gets fat and rich.
I do not think you understand unions or business at all in the USA.
You are offered a job at a wage. You either take the job at that wage, or move on. People are taking the job, so they must want to be paid that wage. Sure they want more, and are greedy, but when the answer is "your wage is your wage" move on to another job if thats an issue.

Unions help unions. They take money from the workers, and give it to politicians. They deduct it directly from your paycheck, so you cannot say no. You cannot even work there without joining. Thats not a help, that is a hobble. Unions have no place in this country anymore.
sailnow2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:16   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnow2011 View Post
I do not think you understand unions or business at all in the USA.
You are offered a job at a wage. You either take the job at that wage, or move on. People are taking the job, so they must want to be paid that wage. Sure they want more, and are greedy, but when the answer is "your wage is your wage" move on to another job if thats an issue.

Unions help unions. They take money from the workers, and give it to politicians. They deduct it directly from your paycheck, so you cannot say no. You cannot even work there without joining. Thats not a help, that is a hobble. Unions have no place in this country anymore.
Yeah, whatever. What's this thread got to do with sailing
Old 06-09-2015, 05:50   #23

Boat: center console

Yeah, whatever. What's this thread got to do with sailing?

If you were sailing in this hemisphere and needed boat parts, you might be very interested in Defender being able to ship.
1affiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 15:22   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1affiah View Post
Yeah, whatever. What's this thread got to do with sailing?

If you were sailing in this hemisphere and needed boat parts, you might be very interested in Defender being able to ship.
ah, it's about shipping of boat parts.. The bit where there have been 24 posts and two are about the shipping of boat parts and all the rest about union bashing and lack of work ethics through me..
Old 06-09-2015, 15:28   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Actually, Unions built America. The rest is bull.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 15:38   #26

Boat: Her Shine Newburyport 37'

Humm, Labor Day weekend a boating holiday brought to us by Unions. I am a Custmore of Defender and have been very happy with prices and service. What if the company just moved to China and could save paying American wages?
Capecoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 19:55   #27

Boat: center console

"Unions Built America"
Yeah, Rustic..
You have a point, there!
1affiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 20:08   #28

Boat: Luders 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capecoder View Post
Humm, Labor Day weekend a boating holiday brought to us by Unions. I am a Custmore of Defender and have been very happy with prices and service. What if the company just moved to China and could save paying American wages?

China would be impractical, at least for US shipments, both in terms of time and money.

As to the other poster who suggested the Amazon model, one of the benefits of consumers in the U.S. (Not businesses) is not paying your home state tax when buying from other states, so tax free unless you live in Connecticut. Amazon has "presence" in all fifty states, so you pay tax regardless.

Defender is wonderful, I hope they resolve their labor disputes to the benefit of all.

Just to jump on the the do your job bandwagon, 6 recorded errors sounds like plenty to me, to say that you are not paying attention.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Jman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 20:54   #29

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Let me correct something, it's not "right to work" state, it's "right to work for less" state. In the USA the struggle between Capital and Labor is and always will be the same. A smart employee wants to be in business with the boss, see the company prosper AND get a fair share of the rewards. The only way that happens is with a Union. In every other case the employee has no legal standing of consequence. If you own your own company and can prosper as a closely held concern, great! good on ya! If you need a bunch of employees but can only prosper at rock bottom wages...well not so much. Go ahead..take it to China. That's what a totalitarian, authoritarian regime is for.
I thank our Canadian friend for the truth (we need you far too often). Union Labor built the USA. Labor builds, Capital consumes. Happy Labor Day
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 20:59   #30

Boat: Skookum 53'

Well they are a lot more lenient than I am, if I have to correct you twice, the third time you are out the door.

Tags
fender