Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2016, 11:08   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Davao Philippines Explosion Kills 10 Injures 60

Earlier today (September 2, 2016) an explosion rocked Davao, killing 10 people and injuring at least 60 others.

The explosion took place in the night (about 10:30PM) at the very popular Roxas Street Market. The market usually has many thousands of people there at that time.

I was just there in May. This is a sad happening in Davao.

I will post a few photos I took while there, to give you a sense of how it looks on a typical night.

Roxas street typically has 5,000 - 10,000 people walking closely together and sitting together in the hundreds of street vendor stalls and eating places.

It is a HUGE crowd of people, milling about, walking slowly from one food vendor to another. It is nothing but a busy street during the day, but at night vendors erect temporary stalls where they usually barbecue meats and other foods. It is a very interesting place to see, and one of my favorite things to see in Davao.

Notably, the street is such a Mecca for tourists and locals who come to eat and shop, that there is always a police presence there too. In fact, there are always several police officers and undercover policemen too (looking for pickpockets etc.). I spoke with the onsite police about this while walking the Roxas market. In general they consider the Roxas market "safe" for tourists, with occasional pickpockets. The police are usually very visible with a marked vehicle and walking or riding bicycles. There are also usually some of the local "paramilitary" security types walking around and some of the businesses do have security guards stationed at their doors.

Notably, the people of Davao consider it "safe" as every night of the week, in good weather, about 10,000 people show up. It is normally fun. It is located close to a major private University, so many college students meet there. It is nice to see families with children walking and enjoying ice cream and other foods. Normally, it is a VERY nice place to visit.

Reports say this happened while the new Philippine President Duterte was in town. Could this be a terrorist bombing to discredit the President's new security crackdown in the Philippines? Or could it possibly be just an explosion of one of the hundreds of propane tanks used by the street vendors? Whether it was planned or accidental, the result is tragic.

Davao has seen terrorist bombings in the past, notably at a shopping mall movie theatre. Consequently the local shopping malls have many security guards who check the purses and packages of any shoppers entering the malls, including a TSA type pat down and searches of vehicles entering their parking garages.

Here is a link to one of the news reports.
Philippines explosion: 12 dead, 60 injured in Davao City market blast - CNN.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BODSU Roxas 0184.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	300.9 KB
ID:	130454   Click image for larger version

Name:	BODSU Roxas 0260.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	285.5 KB
ID:	130455  

Name:	BODSU Roxas 0222.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	281.2 KB
ID:	130456   Click image for larger version

Name:	BODSU Roxas 0266.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	295.2 KB
ID:	130457  

Name:	BODSU Roxas 0022.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	317.1 KB
ID:	130458   Click image for larger version

Name:	BODSU Roxas 0309.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	130459  

Name:	BODSU Roxas 0304.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	308.9 KB
ID:	130460   Click image for larger version

Name:	BODSU Roxas 0225.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	274.7 KB
ID:	130461  

Name:	BODSU Roxas 0055.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	228.3 KB
ID:	130462  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 17:50   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Davao Philippines Explosion Kills 10 Injures 60

It's been declared an "act of terrorism" by the President.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 18:07   #3

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Funny you said the people there consider it safe. Our uber driver in manilla yesterday grew up there and recently moved to manilla and told us its very dangerous there and not to go there or Mindanao. I laughed, saying its safer than Chicago

Sent from my STUDIO 5.5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 18:16   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Funny you said the people there consider it safe. Our uber driver in manilla yesterday grew up there and recently moved to manilla and told us its very dangerous there and not to go there or Mindanao. I laughed, saying its safer than Chicago

Sent from my STUDIO 5.5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
All the Davao residents and the people from Manilla and from Cebu I met, all declared they felt much safer in Davao than in either Manilla or Cebu. That said, they also cautioned me against travel to the rest of Mindanao (anywhere outside of Davao) and especially to the points further south or in the mountains.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:34   #5

Boat: Catalina 470

The real tragedy is that Filipinos as a whole are beautiful people and just don't deserve this. Up until recently Davao had been considered safe although Mindanao as a whole hasn't.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:15   #6

Boat: 1975 Bluewater38-bare hull#38/Atkin's INGRID/Gaff Ketch

Two weekends ago I (hesitantly) visited a friend in Mindanao, traveling by ferry to Dapitan, then two hours by bus to Oroquieta. She'd vowed it was safe (ah, but she's Filipina, I thought) and, as far as my one trip there, she was right. It was beautiful and friendly, and i will visit her again.

She made an interesting comment, one I continually hear echoed in various ways elsewhere, that for years there was a known, long-time neighborhood drug family that all were afraid of, but after Duterte's election they've been stopped and "everyone" is unquestioningly grateful to the President.
GafferMate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:10   #7

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

Having spent a good deal of time on Mindanao I found out that certain parts are safe and others are not. Most of my time was spent in the Northern part of Mindanao between Dipolog and Sindangan. Most of the people in that area considered the southern part to be unsafe. The Abu Sayaff operate mostly in Zambonga city and General Santos City but have been showing their presence in Davao more and more recently. As said by others, they are beautiful people and don't deserve this.
Old 03-09-2016, 13:48   #8

What the State Department says...

https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...l-warning.html
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 03:28   #9

Boat: Jonmeri 40

Note that the US State Dept advisory linked above is dated from April. Multiple kidnappings (Mindanao and adjoining Malaysia) and now this bombing have occurred since then. The UK and AUS foreign offices have updated their advisories as of yesterday, and both have always taken a more cautious approach than the US:

US - "exercise extreme caution" in eastern Mindanao
UK - "advise against all but essential travel"
AUS - "reconsider your need to travel"

Posted from Labuan, Malaysia, supposedly en route to the Philippines ...
Alii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 03:49   #10
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

The timing of this following very successful first stage peace negotiations in Oslo and an agreed ceasefire , points towards the acts of criminals who hide behind political tension to justify their kidnapping and extortion crimes.
The last thing they want is peace.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 16:21   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

NOVEMBER 8, 2016 UPDATE

I am bringing this up because several people have mentioned Mindanao and Davao and Islamist Terrorism.

In September 2016 there was a bomb explosion in the Night Market in Davao (Mindanao). I posted a thread about this then.

While not attributed to Pirates, it was determined to be the work of a terrorist group.

Today I received a short note from a friend in Davao. I asked him for an update on that incident, as I have not seen anything since it was initially reported.
Here is what he sent me:

It was a bomb planted by a new terrorist group called dawla islamiya fi Cotabato- Maute Group.

15 people died. 70 were injured. A total of 7 were arrested so far.

Tags
Philippines