Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 09:37   #46

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Cruising Yacht Busted for Drug Smuggling in Oz

Whoa! Nice catch. Good job authorities there in the Oz. Spain has the highest coke consumption in the EU - I am surprised they did not consume their 'ballast' before delivering it to the shore party ;-)))

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:19   #47
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
yesletslegallizeitandeveryonewillbehappy
As a taxpayer I would be very happy (same goes for all the other "Wars on.....").

- Heroin (Opium ) Medicalised (i.e. available for free / low cost from a Doctor - whether in a shooting gallery or not. Will out compete the (illegal) competition on both price and quality (certainty) - more people die of bad drugs than the drugs themselves......when a business loses it's repeat customers not such an attractive proposition. Will always still exist, just not on the same scale.

- Wacky Backy sold pre made like ciggarettes (available from restricted outlets and with differing strengths). The primary reasons it is a "Gateway" drug is that it's one of the products sold by those with other stuff - and with "Freinds" a joint can have had anything added, for a bit more spice. Problem comes when the "spice" later becomes the attraction.......but with a legal Wacky Backy ciggy a good chance of knowing when it has been spiced up / less likely to have been / you have your own from a safe source.

- Party Drugs. I'd probably keep 'em illegal. But just not get so bothered about the folk who use them.

- Stuff like Crack / Methamphetimine I would keep illegal - for the users (and to destroy a lot of the illegal market) the "answer" would be Heroin (as above).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:52   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
righto,so aside from the classroom jibes at my spelling,you are saying that prohibition has worked and the slaughter of innocent people in mexico by drug dealers et al is something you can live with,because hey i am a cleanskin and would never do drugs? oh how moral of you,half the prison population is the result of illegal activity regarding drugs,the war on drugs has been a spectacular failure,government resources could be used to treat addicts,half of whom have a mental condition anyway,or maybe i am missing something...
depends on what side of the track your on as to whether it is a failure or not...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:07   #49
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
depends on what side of the track your on as to whether it is a failure or not...
If a Govt gives you a pension at the end of it - then it's a roaring success. Just like Iraq
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:49   #50

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Do we still have gangsters using Thompson machine guns on each other round the ole speakeasy's due to prohibition way back when?I do not like what drugs do to people but there must be a better way than what is going on now,have a look at what portugal has been up to.
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:15   #51

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

So far the US has spent over $1 Trillion dollars on the drug war. What has it accomplished??? We still have a drug problem, prisoners in prison locked in a concrete box, with armed guards still manage to get their drugs.

Thanks to the drug war, trying to stop people from owning or ingesting things in their own bodies.

1. We now have "no-knock" entries by SWAT teams trying to catch a druggie before he finishes his "fix", they have entered many homes by "mistake", or on non drug related crimes, both officers and innocent people have died in these raids.
2. Trying to stop someone from buying a "drug" we now have financial disclosure laws, (if you cannot buy drugs with cash, you cannot buy anything else either).
3. To try to stop the unstoppable we now have a host of unrelated laws; money laundering, tax seizure laws, broad powers of confiscation that were given to stop drugs, and now are used for ANY legal infraction.
4. Addicts can no longer safely go for help for their addiction without risk of imprisonment.
5. Police are TOO busy enforcing drug laws to worry about "petty" crimes, like murder and armed robbery...
6. And taxes are increased dramatically to pay for what the drug wars biggest accomplishment,...raising the street price of drugs thus guaranteeing the drug dealers profit margins. When we do the same to corn we call it a farm subsidy, (maybe we should have a "war on corn", the farmers would be rich.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 13:08   #52

Boat: Gib sea 43

It ain't a war on drugs, its a war on freedom! I need to laugh at people who say i don't do drugs then knock back some alcohol!

As a grown man, I say it's my right to do that which i please so long as i harm no others or their property, Am I a slave? It looks that way, when one man is telling me what i can or cannot do with my own body, obviously my body is no longer my property!

Are some lives ruined by drugs, hell yeah, but how many are ruined by legal drugs?(cigarettes, alcohol, many legal prescription drugs) gambling? another life ruining addiction!

How many lives have been ruined by working with dangerous untested materials? working in mines/factories, how many lives ruined by the 1000 or so above ground nuclear blasts)some increased cancer rate), we already have had world war three!

Lastly, how much of the cocaine in your country is imported by your drug dealing government..... well proven the cia was importing and still is in the US......
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, yacht