Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2010, 03:52   #31

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I think a perusal of the criteria might reveal why America might not fare so well on this “Peace Index”; whilst saying nothing about the country’s “safety”
That and perhaps the proliferation of handguns, murder rates, number of people in prison, and the occasional high school massacre - the US is leading the developed country pack on all these!

By the way, the US is worst amongst developed world for homicides

Perhaps a peace index including warfare (two invasions in past decade by US doesn't help) is possibly not 100% useful for cruisers..
Old 11-06-2010, 04:12   #32

Send a message via Skype™ to DannySt
Don't wanna go political... but Israel is #144 out of #149? and Iran is #104 ?
Go figure...
I wouldn't count on this list with my safety.
DannySt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 05:36   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannySt View Post
Don't wanna go political... but Israel is #144 out of #149? and Iran is #104 ?
Go figure...
I wouldn't count on this list with my safety.
Iran doesn't have a war on (or occupation).. I would guess there are a lot of people killed violently in Israel every year aren't there? And yes, that's terrorists, soldiers, and civilians killed by both groups of combatants..

Since Iran doesn't have anything of the sort going on, I would consider it highly unlikely to get suicide bombed or blown up by army helicopters in Teheran..
Old 11-06-2010, 05:56   #34
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
, I would consider it highly unlikely to get suicide bombed or blown up by army helicopters in Teheran..
Buy any western cruiser sailing their into Iran would be immediatly captured.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:22   #35

Send a message via Skype™ to DannySt
Quote:
Iran doesn't have a war on (or occupation).. I would guess there are a lot of people killed violently in Israel every year aren't there? And yes, that's terrorists, soldiers, and civilians killed by both groups of combatants..

Since Iran doesn't have anything of the sort going on, I would consider it highly unlikely to get suicide bombed or blown up by army helicopters in Teheran..
idpnd, Man you're good... as I said, I don't wanna go political so all I am going to do is refer you to this - its very interesting to watch in any case and sure is worth your time.

BTW, your boat looks great, a very solid boat with classic lines. you're going to need a steel boat in Iran...
DannySt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:25   #36

Quote:
Buy any western cruiser sailing their into Iran would be immediatly captured.
The index itself does not purport to have anything to do with sailing. Btw Iran is fine for normal tourism, a friend has been going for years

The Israeli coast on the other hand has had some spectacularly bad press just last week, if you go take care not to stray towards Gaza you might get massacred like the aid workers the other day
Old 11-06-2010, 07:18   #37

what bull

Apparently the authors of the list have never travelled to Indonesia, Malaysia or anywhere in Africa or the Southern Cone.

The list is worse than worthless.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:29   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset Key View Post
Apparently the authors of the list have never travelled to Indonesia, Malaysia or anywhere in Africa or the Southern Cone.
Apparently their data is wrong then!

Quote:
the team has used the latest available figures from a wide range of respected sources, including the International Institute of Strategic Studies, The World Bank, various UN offices and Peace Institutes and the Economist Intelligence Unit.
You should immediately report your - doubtlessly extensive - travel experience and findings to the above institutes.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:37   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannySt View Post
idpnd, Man you're good... as I said, I don't wanna go political so all I am going to do is refer you to this movie - its very interesting to watch in any case and sure is worth your time.

BTW, your boat looks great, a very solid boat with classic lines. you're going to need a steel boat in Iran...
I am not interested in arguing about the human rights situation in Iran - or Palestine for that matter. Or executions by the religious lunatics in Iran. Or executions by helicopter in Palestine or massacres off the coast of Gaza..

I am purely saying that the number of violent deaths - intentional or otherwise - and thus the likelihood of untimely death is far higher to the casual visitor in Israel than in Iran. And that's all the report is suggesting.

Thanks re: the boat, working on it at the moment, not planning to go anywhere near Iran - or Israel/Palestine - though
Old 13-06-2010, 05:01   #40
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllanVannin View Post
but our newspapers are always telling us our per capita jailed population rate is second only to USA.....possibly another media scare tactic!!!
Perceptions are relative.

I still smile at the dire warnings I got in small town NZ (Picton? North on the South Island) about...........the centre of Christchurch (the big city ). Crime, drugs, drink, violence, loose women low moral behaviour (my favourite vice ) and general lawlessness.

I was initially really pissed off as I had already been to Christchurch and had clearly missed the really good bits Turned out though that I had actually been staying in the centre of the "action" And thought it was a bit dull.............although I do recall going on a decent pub crawl around the "bright lights" with a Maori transexual (looked like a lumberjack in a dress ), a dwarf. and an Australian

Not exactly the Sodom & Gomorah I was warned about.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 05:36   #41
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
the likelihood of untimely death is far higher to the casual visitor in Israel than in Iran.
Hilary Clinton as reported today:
""We ask the Iranian authorities to release the three American hikers, detained without charge for almost a year, and to provide information on the status of Mr Robert Levinson, who disappeared in Iran in 2007," she added."

American tourists can go to Israel with some 'normal' degree of safety, they can not go to Iran and expect less than summary imprisonment, without charge, without crime nor conviction.

Cruisers who wish to go to UAE should take careful note to not go anywhere near the terotorial waters of Iran. Their GPS seems to work differently from the rest of the world.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 05:46   #42

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
I see that it is impossible to separate away the political views of this or that country from the reality of where can we cruise with the least risk of encountering a deadly situation to us or at least a nasty experience if we survive it.
- - Everyplace/country in the world has crime and violence ranging from the "lover's spat/murder" to politically inspired "righteous" killings. You cannot eliminate those things as they are a basic part to the human being. 5 million years or so ago our branch of the 5 or so versions of humans wiped out our competitors not by being passive or peaceful.
- - So where can we cruise in anticipation of minimal "encounters?"
- Mostly countries/regions of very low population density. The more people per square meter the higher the propensity for social friction and violence.
- Countries/regions of moderate standard of living and low unemployment. When the local population is busy working for a living and enjoys a moderate life-style they are too busy to be bothered with "easy" or "envious" coveting of their neighbors or us.
- Countries were there are only wealthy inhabitants. Some of the little Caribbean islands fall into this category as they do not allow poor people on their island.
- Countries to avoid are those where the poor/wealthy ratio is extreme. This is where access to TV comes in as the great de-stabilizer as the masses of poor watch the excesses of the wealthy and get "pissed." And we cruisers are perceived as being in the "wealthy" category since we don't have dirt floors and thatched roofs.
- - Obviously, the safest country to cruise in is your own country for no other reason than you know it. You know where to go and where not to go.
- - Next would be the moderately wealthy/"better off" tourist islands where land crime is tightly controlled or the locals are all busy working.
- - Next would be countries/islands where cruisers are as rare as hen's teeth and the locals do not have access to TV or "modern" population centers. In those places we are a "novelty" and also an unknown entity so the locals are in awe rather than envy.
- - Beyond that each country/island is safe/unsafe for cruising based more on the cruiser's knowledge and understanding of the local population rather than the popular perception of local crime/corruption.
- - In other words arriving at a new place as a naive "gringo" is more dangerous than arriving as a savvy, low profile, experience voyager.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 16:43   #43

Boat: Beneteau 40CC Oceanus 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Perceptions are relative.

I still smile at the dire warnings I got in small town NZ (Picton? North on the South Island) about...........the centre of Christchurch (the big city ). Crime, drugs, drink, violence, loose women low moral behaviour (my favourite vice ) and general lawlessness.

I was initially really pissed off as I had already been to Christchurch and had clearly missed the really good bits Turned out though that I had actually been staying in the centre of the "action" And thought it was a bit dull.............although I do recall going on a decent pub crawl around the "bright lights" with a Maori transexual (looked like a lumberjack in a dress ), a dwarf. and an Australian

Not exactly the Sodom & Gomorah I was warned about.
LOLOL I am hearing you...we are berthed in Picton and since you left I think you took all the racy aspects with you...it barely breathes on a Fri/Sat night now that the great old pubs have become fronts for the ubiquitous apartment buildings. We too realised your truth after causing trouble in small towns, now we live near the big smoke cause were too old for trouble!!!
EllanVannin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 13:59   #44

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexSail View Post
The kinsfolks said, "Jed, move away from there."
Yep, time to go.
This week, a new law in this county. If you don't register your well, you face a $2000.00 fine plus $500.00 a day for not filing. Getting mugged is less expensive. Let's go see some "dangerous places", it's not safe to stay here and be robbed by mail.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 07:00   #45

Boat: Tayana 37 "SAILACIOUS"
Where is the best place to find accurate information on crimes against cruisers? There are sites that talk about piracy, but it would be interesting to find a source that charts robbery/violence against private vessels only.