Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: If you read this ?
Are you a full time cruiser? 4 25.00%
Are you a part time cruiser? 4 25.00%
Are you thinking of cruising? 7 43.75%
Are you looking at the whole boat thing? 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2008, 03:48   #1

cruiser active now

As a CRUISERS forum, I would love to Know how many active cruisers there are?

The reason is simple.

I would like to know the balance of "new" to "doing it"

If the "doing it" to "new" ratio is what I suspect...its time that the "cruisers forum" looked at attracting cruisers......

The information needs to be up to date and relevant. Please do not take this suggestion as being controversial. Quite the opposite. As a cruisers forum there is no question that a lot of issues about cruising is answered, but for the people who are cruising? and are therefore the most current and informed potential participants?
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:15   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Cooper,

How about the people who have cruised extensively, and now do not?
Old 04-08-2008, 04:22   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Cooper,
How about the people who have cruised extensively, and now do not?
I'm one of the CLODs*, to whom Hud refers.

* Cruiser Living On Dirt (former cruisers)

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:44   #4

Boat: Lagoon 420
In addition to HUDs suggestion I think there is another category which I would fit into. I am beyond thinking about cruising. I am well on my way through transition to full time cruising with many bridges burnt behind me but I haven't yet begun cruising.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:59   #5

Boat: Defever 41 "Bear Holiday"
Send a message via Skype™ to hanschristian38
I am a CLOD too.

Some of can only get our cruising fix through these online forums.
hanschristian38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:13   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I think having the experience of cruising is much the same today as it has been for 15 to 20 years. Technology making it simplier, but the weather factor is the same. There is still much to learn from those who have done it in the past.

I don't understand the statement that it is time for the cruiser forum to attract cruisers?....I am a CLOD for the second time, and planning for the third time to leave.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:45   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Cruisers Forum is not just for cruisers. Cruisers forum is for people who are cruisers, people who would like to be cruisers, people who are considering becoming cruisers and for people who are simply curious. It is also for any boater, whether or not he or she will ever be a cruiser. It is also for anyone from the inexperienced to the very experienced. One does not need to be a cruiser in order to share information either. There are plenty of people here who are maritime professionals, people who own a boat but do not use it for cruising and people who are previous boat owners.

One does not necessarily need to be a cruiser to answer questions in here. There are many professionals in the maritime industry and yacht business in here who are not cruisers yet have the knowledge and the experience around boats to accurately answer many of the questions asked in here. People like Chief Engineer and never monday come to mind who have a world of knowledge about their profession.

So to make a poll to see how many people are cruisers versus people who are not cruisers and then making a judgment call as to how many more cruisers this forum might need is irrelevant in my opinion. One does not need to be a full time cruiser in order to contribute to the forum. To imply that someones opinion who is not a cruiser is less than good information, is nonsense. There are plenty of people who are out on the water in boats and ships that are not cruisers and their knowledge and experience is of equal value. The same applies to people who work on boats ashore. Sure we need some active cruisers in here. We do need people with that experience to contribute.

Its my opinion that what matters most is the sharing of accurate information relating both to cruising and boats in general in an atmosphere of congeniality, fun and respect for others.

David

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:58   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
David,

Well put......
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:26   #9

Boat: Fastback 43
I have been sailing a Hobie 16 for decades, and I greatly enjoy this forum and I am relying on the info here in my goal of cruising in a few years. I think that the info that is presented here is a great benefit to would-be cruisers, but it seems that many of the discussions on this forum will help me even after I become an experienced cruiser. I think the balance of info here is healthy because it attracts participation (and a great deal of passive viewing) by people with a wide range of cruising experience.

Ron
bix85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:36   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I have been curious about the experience level here as well. I think we have excellent resources here.

However, It would be a great poll if it was anonymous.

BTW - How do you define cruiser vs. part time cruiser?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:36   #11

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Cruiser vs part time... yep that would need clarification...

I personally try to be cruising as must as possible, generally several months at a time... but presently not in Hurricane season as I prefer the Carib to do my cruising in...

In another year or so, I'll probably have my First Mate available for longer possibly thru the Hurricane season cruising...

no idea if I am a part time, full time seasonally but I'm almost always Thinking about it... even when cruising....

Not really sure it even matters......
Old 04-08-2008, 10:25   #12
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper View Post

If the "doing it" to "new" ratio is what I suspect...its time that the "cruisers forum" looked at attracting cruisers......

The information needs to be up to date and relevant.
Suspect? I would be totally surprised if it was full of folk currently floating around the world!

Why? Well, I am sure they have much better things to do than plug in to the Internet (even if willing to pay for it) and providing "up to date" information that few (if any) will ever use in an "up to date" way. If I ever set sail the last thing on my mind will be keeping folks here "up to date" (sorry ) apart from maybe dropping in now and again. That will be for after coming home and sitting in front of a PC mid winter and reliving and relating past adventures........whether folk want me to or not

IME of wandering around the world (albeit sans boat) although the Internet is really great for many things, "up to date" can usually be provided from the real world.......and also IME working day to day things out as you go along is usually not rocket science and provides a whole different experiance to simply following instructions provided by others (whether from Guide Book or Internet) and often means that you follow your own path rather than a well beaten one - albeit nothing wrong with that and sometimes they are the same for very good reasons.

Lessons learned on purely boat stuff (rather than the travelling from place to place aspect) are usually still good whether 20 minutes or 20 years ago. Indeed often better, given the time for reflection and consideration based on additional experiances. And time also gives the ability to laugh or to shudder at past actions.......but no doubt opinions vary.

But overall I think you have a fair point, maybe one for the Mods to tweek the board so folk can label themselves for the benefit of others? Boards usually have the Capacity to do something like that (albeit normally for post numbers).....of course being the internet doesn't make things true.........

I can have the title "Idiot with Boat"
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:04   #13

Boat: Phillip Rhodes 60 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to Alondra
I' m a fuulll time cruiser...? How else could I be posting this forum all the time? I have no time for work!
Alondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:11   #14

Full time...

We are cruising full time.

That is NOT to say we are ALWAYS sailing. At this time we are in Marina Mazatlan waiting out the hurricane season. So we have ready access to free WiFi and I am on the forum often. When we are actively out. Like in the Sea of Cortes or heading further south, I may be off the board for months at a time.

Why am I here?
Well, before we departed to go full time cruising, I got a lot of information from forums like this one. I feel like it's my turn to provide back to the community for all it provided me. Another reason is that I have often seen a lot of talk (before we departed and now also) about what you MUST have to be able to go cruising safely. After 4 years I can't tell you the amount of stuff I sent good money on that I have now gotten rid of as excess junk. I am not saying it was not nice to have, but it was NOT required to keep the boat moving safely.

That is also why we did our DVDs. We loved watching others DVDs and had not seen a new one come out in years. And we have not see any other ones on the Sea of Cortez. So, as payback for all the enjoyment we got, we did ours.

We do almost all of our contact for banking and other items via Internet, so we are on the net when we get the chance. We have found that the net is mostly free here in Mexico, so it's a pastime.

Another very good aspect of forums like this IS the other cruisers who are here! I don't know about things on the East side of the US, but things on the Pacific side of North, Central, and South America are changing and changing VERY rapidly. The laws, restrictions and entrance requirements of a number of places on this side change monthly. I want all the inf I can get. As it says, “a prudent navigator uses all of the information available to him”.

Also, I am not sure if cruising today is the same as it was 20 or 40 or more years ago. I wasn't cruising 40 years ago . I am sure a lot of things have changed! Some good, some no so. I KNOW I have seen differences in just the short time we have been out here. Not the basic seamanship. But a LOT of the gadgets and do-dads. The things that make it possible for a couple who has never sailed before in there life, to feel safe hopping on a 50 foot boat, turning on the GPS and autopilot and heading off.

And after all of the above, the cost to be here is FREE and the reward MAY be great!

Just my point of view....

Greg
Currently in Marina Mazatlan waiting for the hurricane season to pass...
Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote