Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-05-2012, 06:24   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Re: Crime in the Bahamas

I think that suggesting to anyone to enter the Bahamas or any place else and NOT declare firearms is both a disservice and very, very foolish. The Bahamas are not messing around any more with firearms and are actively searching for them. Failure to declare firearms and ammunition can get you into serious trouble including imprisonment and seizure of your boat. That was the reason for my original post. So why would anyone take that chance or suggest others break the law in another country? Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:07   #17
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
I think that suggesting to anyone to enter the Bahamas or any place else and NOT declare firearms is both a disservice and very, very foolish. The Bahamas are not messing around any more with firearms and are actively searching for them. Failure to declare firearms and ammunition can get you into serious trouble including imprisonment and seizure of your boat. That was the reason for my original post. So why would anyone take that chance or suggest others break the law in another country? Chuck
Somehow I missed the post where anyone was suggesting entering a country suggesting- that others break laws and NOT declare a firearm? DId I miss it, or did you not read it completly , forgive me Chuck- im not trying to be a smart ass, I just dont see the post s your talking about??

Old 07-05-2012, 11:00   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

An actual search for firearms when clearing in could also mean a closer scrutiny of other things previously ignored. Good to know things may be changing. Thanks for the post.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:22   #19
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

That'll get you put in jail in some countries, if you don't declare it at entry.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:25   #20

About 10 years ago there were a rash of thefts from boats at Hurricane Hole marina in Nassau. Jet skis, fishing gear, anything left on deck or in the water was taken one night while we were there. I was running a 112 foot motoryacht and we lost a camera and some water toy stuff left on the sundeck. Boat next to us lost two jet skis they had left in the water, other boats the fishing gear and some cleaning supplies. There were full crews aboard all the boats, these guys were ballsy and very quiet.
Reported it all to the police and nothing ever was recovered.

Never been back to that marina and never had a problem since, we just avoided Nassau except for Atlantis for guest use.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:09   #21

Boat: Maxum 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailronin View Post
About 10 years ago there were a rash of thefts from boats at Hurricane Hole marina in Nassau. Jet skis, fishing gear, anything left on deck or in the water was taken one night while we were there. I was running a 112 foot motoryacht and we lost a camera and some water toy stuff left on the sundeck. Boat next to us lost two jet skis they had left in the water, other boats the fishing gear and some cleaning supplies. There were full crews aboard all the boats, these guys were ballsy and very quiet.
Reported it all to the police and nothing ever was recovered.

Never been back to that marina and never had a problem since, we just avoided Nassau except for Atlantis for guest use.
Sounds like pro's, and likely island hopping. One of the downsides to paradise, is a determined criminal can take advantage of lax laws, and enforcement for years, and skip to another country if close to getting caught. Eventually greed and complacency will get them caught, until then we all suffer, and just need to keep a sharp lookout.

If you see something report it, if something of yours goes missing report it. Eventually law enforcement will see a pattern and step in. Loss of tourism hurts everyone....and if they do catch someone, press charges, yes it is a pain, yes it is a hassle, yes they will have a sob story about taking care of 15 starving orphans....But chances are it is not the first time they did it, and the last time nobody wanted to bother to press charges either.

Yes it is work, especially in a country not your own, but that is the price we have to pay to live in a low crime world.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:13   #22

Boat: Maxum 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
I agree! I was onboard a -old timers -friends boat - a famous world record Tuna fisherman-Bahamaian hall of famer- who lives there in the summer months,and far be it for me to suggest anything to him on what or what not to do- I would declare it myself - I think this guys been coming since 1960,and suppose he knows what hes doing!

Things change, it is a different world now. He could get a new guy thats never heard of him. Be carefull.
Old 14-05-2012, 00:25   #23

"You have missed the point of my post."

Seems like quite a few missed the point of your post. Operator (author) error or reader error? As someone said earlier, not trying to be a smart ass but possibly the post could have been written differently? (I write now & then and have had this problem.)

Having said that, last time I declared my guns (12 g. shotgun & .45) didn't have a problem.
Old 14-05-2012, 00:34   #24

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ive declared my 12 gauge and my 10 gauge flare guns when asked and never had problem yet ! of course both are antques !! One Usa 2nd world war and rhe other english navy First world war. Mostly they just grin and shake there heads !! Just my 2 cents
Old 14-05-2012, 06:50   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
"You have missed the point of my post."

Seems like quite a few missed the point of your post. Operator (author) error or reader error? As someone said earlier, not trying to be a smart ass but possibly the post could have been written differently? ...
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, thatguy.

For clarity’s sake, you might have indicated whom you were quoting (“you missed the point ...”).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 18:35   #26

Location: wherever the boat is---from central amer to canada....so far...
Boat: defever trawler 41-nomad

been going to/cruising the bahamas since 1967 and, yes, nassau can be trouble but usually if you look for it or do something stupid. like any "cities" you gotta be careful there but io've never had a problem.

as far as guns there, you better declare them and the ammo or YOU'RE THE CRIMINAL!!! leave them at home...you won't need them and if you think you'll use them you're nuts...most who brandish weapons get killed by either their own weapons or something a helluva lot more powerful (don't bring a knife to a gunfight). and if you think your little olin flaregun can shoot a shotgun shell, buy good health insurance or , better yet, life insurance...

just my thoughts for what it's worth...
Old 17-05-2012, 19:10   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by defever View Post
been going to/cruising the bahamas since 1967 and, yes, nassau can be trouble but usually if you look for it or do something stupid. like any "cities" you gotta be careful there but io've never had a problem.

as far as guns there, you better declare them and the ammon or YOU'RE THE CRIMINAL!!! leave them at home...you won't need them and if you think you'll use them you're nuts...most who brandish weapons get killed by either their own weapons or something a helluva lot miore powerful (don't bring a knife to a gunfight). and if you think your little olin flaregun can shoot a shotgun shell, buy good health insurance or , better yet, life insurance...

just my thoughts for what it's worth...
your right. in fact imho the olin flareguns should not be used even for flare purposes. a real metal flare pistol with thick cylinder walls and long barrel should be a minimum requirement. in the area of safety, you pay for what you get. flares can rupture, detonate, and catch fire before they even leave the barrel of any flare gun. you really dont want to be holding a plastic pistol when that happens. btw: you really want to use a pistol and not some two handed flare as are being sold nowadays. you keep the pistol at arms length, aim, turn your head away, and then fire. keeps your eyes intact that way. better if you can shield your face with the other hand. why take chances?
Old 17-05-2012, 20:31   #28
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Flare pistols are PITAs, ,any countries require firearms licensing and few allow importation or use of milspec units. Then theirs the hassle of finding replacement spares.

Notwithstanding the compete nonsense that trying to use flares to incapacitate someone. Your more likely to burn your boat to the waterline.

Guns have no value on a cruising boat unless in wilderness areas ( bears don't carry guns) otherwise you get shot or you shoot someone and get loads of jail time. Many countries do not allow you to use lethal force to protect yourself especially where the assailant was not so armed. Even those that do weigh the outcomes in a court case. Carrying a firearm could be seen as pre-meditation.

The world has moved to handheld flares. I've set off quite a few in training and they are in general easy to use and safe.

Dave
Old 19-05-2012, 10:33   #29

Handheld non pistol flares are convenient in the classroom but not in 12 foot seas and 25 knot winds. Anything requiring two hands to launch is a risk not worth taking when there are other alternatives. In small sailboats especially .
Old 19-05-2012, 11:33   #30
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Hesitated to post this here, but for those of you working on 26.5mm or 37mm milspec steel case reloads to fire from your antique flare gun, heres a vid with some good info. You don't have to be limited to bird bombs, even though they are quite effective. The 26.5mm will reload with 4 gauge shells, the 37mm requires a little more inventiveness but essentially the payload is unlimited. You can fire just about anything out of one of those. But of course any payload but flares, smoke, or "pyrotechnics" like bird bombs are technically illegal just about anywhere. If you are reloading milsurp steel case flares they just look like more flares and are labeled as such. Only way to tell is fire one.

Tags
Bahamas

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: