Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2011, 13:52   #91

Re: Crew of SV 'Sanctuary' Abandon Ship

Coast Guard Rescue Video is posted on line

You can view it or download it from here.

*VIDEO UPDATE* Coast Guard coordinates AMVER rescue in high seas
YADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 13:54   #92

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Spend an hour researching SEVERE motion sickness.
Vomiting and diarrhea for a few days can cause neurological collapse resulting in imbalance, loss of co-ordination, mental breakdown, and even death.
During WW2 many soldiers died on the way to war aboard troop carriers from sea sickness.
I am not a medical person. I do get sick at times. Usually depending on the boat I'm on.
Something was serious enough to motivate leaving that boat.
I've just done New Caladonia to Australia with John and Amanda Neal (www.mahina.com) If you read their website they have some very practical stuff on how to prevent sea sickness that is borne out of the experience of taking many newbies who are most susceptible. My wife started out horribly sea sick, largely overcome it and is now very positive on the idea of cruising. We stuck religiously to their suggestions and it worked.

Greg
Sabbatical II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 14:00   #93

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
I think it's a bit fruitless to second-guess the skipper. If anyone here has seen extreme sea-sickness they would realize that it can completely incapacitate the person(s) who get afflicted. And going to sea in a small boat will certainly bring it on to those that are susceptible when the sea pipes up Dying sometimes seems preferable but getting off the damned boat is the number one priority. I think it takes a lot to abandon your boat. Who knows what happened here.
Well said, Sea Sickness can be fatal, If my wife were sick for days on end, or vice versa and unable to eat or drink, I'd abandon ship and hit the red button,

Heck I might even take her with me,,,,
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 14:01   #94
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Sea Sickness can kill, that has been documented. I have been so sick in the gulf stream that I couldn't sit up, recovered in about 10 hours. I would have jumped to a cruise ship.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 14:24   #95

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

Blue Stocking makes a most valid point, as does Connmara. We can all look at a 5 minute video and know we could survive that. However 72 hours of that motion will take the stuffing out of all but the most experienced. 24 hours w/o sleep will rob you of 40% to 50% of your mental ability. 72 hours will reduce you to imbecility. Try it some time... but don't drive your car while doing it.
TomandAnitas34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 14:43   #96
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
I agree that seas look to be 10ft to 15 ft, but what no one has noticed is the wave period. In both videos, I time it a 5-6 seconds. Have any of you been in the gulf stream against a north wind. Can you say washing machine?
Great point. Those are some pretty brutal waves on top of that swell.
smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 14:43   #97

JD1,

This video footage from MSNBC tells the story.

S/Y Sanctuary rescue video

Best,
DJ
Coolruns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 14:51   #98

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland

Two immediate points come to mind, in light of the previous discussion:

1) They had sail up. The first few seconds of the CG video show a scrap of genny, so they weren't just wallowing without power. They must have furled when the rescue boat was coming.

2) The cruise ship is clearly too far away to provide any sort of lee.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 15:19   #99

Boat: Skookum 53'

A lot of opinions here, we all know about opinions. If you weren't there don't judge.
Old 31-10-2011, 15:43   #100

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Forty knots against the Gulf Stream is a lot different than 40 knots with the Gulf Stream. It is not a place to be in any blow due to the strong currents, etc. It is very hard to picture here at home what it is like out there in bad conditions. I'm not ready to condemn anyone's seamanship based on news reports as they often get things wrong. Many people have gotten into trouble on many very well found boats on that route in this season.

However, I must say from the video it doesn't look like really severe conditions at the time of the rescue and the boat's waterline looks OK. I suspect conditions must have been much worse when they called for help.
Old 31-10-2011, 15:44   #101

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post

(...) In 40 or 50 knots, dodgers where I live get blown down or off the boat, (...)
But that's inshore, mate. Offshore, where I got my experience, I still needed the dodger to protect me and my crew in winds higher than that. You know, some dodgers are stronger than others.

I do not see on that video anything related to wave or wind conditions that looks dangerous. Alas, as some noted above: the cruiser may have given lee to the sailing boat. Also, as stated above - we see conditions at rescue time, not at mayday time. And, yes, we do not know what actually happened that made the skipper make their decision. Maybe the point was not the weather at all.

Regards,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 15:53   #102

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Barnakiel makes a good point--we don't know if someone was injured, or the boat had suffered some sort of damage, etc. In much less severe conditions my wife was once thrown across the boat and kept complaining of a tremendous soreness in her chest. We were offshore at night and sailed on, went to the hospital in Nassau, and it turns out she had cracked a couple of ribs. Stuff happens.
Old 31-10-2011, 16:19   #103
cruiser

Boat: cornish crabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Barnakiel makes a good point--we don't know if someone was injured, or the boat had suffered some sort of damage, etc. In much less severe conditions my wife was once thrown across the boat and kept complaining of a tremendous soreness in her chest. We were offshore at night and sailed on, went to the hospital in Nassau, and it turns out she had cracked a couple of ribs. Stuff happens.
yes, i agree with you in your situation. but there was FIVE of them. they did not have all to "abandon the ship". i suppose there haven't ben a sort of halloween massacre aboard. even if 2 of them were injured 3 could sail easely.
gravosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 16:20   #104

Boat: Hedonist 44
Send a message via Skype™ to lenseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by YADO View Post
Nicoleb,
No one can really tell you if she was off course until we hear from the Captain and/or the crew, what the destination actually was and the exact point at which they abandoned ship.

Until we know that it's all guessing. . . . . . . .

I receive all the distress calls worldwide on a regular basis and can assure everyone that this is the current location of the abandoned yacht Sanctuary.

WESTERN NORTH ATLANTIC.
1. DERELICT 39 FOOT S/V SANCTUARY, WHITE HULL, ADRIFT IN 35° 57'N 067° 29'W AT 1200Z ON THE 29th OCT 2011.

I am from the UK and specialize in radio communications.

Best regards David S Wheatley [S/Y "Surabaya Girl" - 2DTW3] Portsmouth UK

S/Y "Surabaya Girl" - 2DTW3 - Portsmouth UK
lenseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 16:41   #105

Boat: Hermann Lazyjack 32 schooner

Just a quick footnote to some of the comments earlier in the thread about furled sails - that's what I thought at first, and wondered why one would be at sea with the main furled and covered; but from some of the later videos it looks to me like the main isn't furled/covered, it's in a stack-pack. Plus, from the first few seconds of the Coast Guard video it appears they were proceeding under roller-furled jib prior to the rescue.
MikeTurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew