Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2011, 20:39   #46

Re: Crew of SV 'Sanctuary' Abandon Ship

When I first saw they abandoned a boat in 40 knots of wind that seems a little nuts. Ditto for the boat floating just fine but they deployed a life raft already.

But who knows what happened on board that thing. Always easy to be an arm chair admiral; hopefully we can learn more. Not to judge them, but just for everyone's safety.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 04:38   #47

YouTube video, judge for yourself.

There was a 39' Beneteau Sanctuary listed for sale at a marina on Lake Champlain this summer. New owners?
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 04:47   #48

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

From the video it does not look that bad. Who knows what was going on on the boat though, maybe an injured crew member.
Old 31-10-2011, 04:57   #49
jzk

No way I abandon my vessel in conditions like that. Looks like they are bobbing with the seas on their beam, time to get a little sail up and at least start making way downwind or deploy a drogue. As far as second guessing, this is a discussion board, so why not discuss what we would do in the same situation?
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 04:59   #50

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Looks like a Beneteau 393.
Old 31-10-2011, 05:01   #51
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

I always found that the photos and videos we've taken in gales offshore never look nearly as "bad" as it was in reality. The 2-D image flattens the perspective or something. The 24' breaking rollers we experienced in a Force 9 gale looked relatively tame on the computer screen.

And as some have said, we don't know anything about what was actually happening on the boat. If you've never been in a prolonged blow offshore, don't try to extrapolate your coastal sailing experience. It isn't the same at all, by a long shot, and for first-timers can be quite harrowing. After surviving the first one, it gets more bearable as long as you're not deathly seasick or injured.
Old 31-10-2011, 05:05   #52

One more from MSNBC, most dangerous part again proven to be moving from one boat to another. Someone almost bought it.

msnbc.com Video Player
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 05:12   #53

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Yesterday with the first photo posted by Hud, it looked like the boat was riding very low in the water. But now it's clear that was an illusion created by its being behind the crest of a wave.

In this video she's floating right to her proper lines. So not a flooding/sinking situation, it seems. . . . (?) Maybe a broken hatch, waves breaking over the bow, constant spray and green water coming in. Scary but not enough to sink the boat.

(Just speculating. I wouldn't have wanted to be them in any case.)
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 05:24   #54
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Crew of SV 'Sanctuary' Abandon Ship

A couple of things intrigue me... they said the engine was down...
How the hell are they keeping bow on to the sea's in those conditions with no sail or motor... they'd be either beam on or stern quarter onto the sea if that was the case...
Don't think they're using a 'sea anchor'..
also the water line looked pretty damn good to me in the bow shots of the pick-up...
Those were not 'big sea's' maybe 5metres max....
No comments... just observations...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 05:31   #55
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
I always found that the photos and videos we've taken in gales offshore never look nearly as "bad" as it was in reality. The 2-D image flattens the perspective or something. The 24' breaking rollers we experienced in a Force 9 gale looked relatively tame on the computer screen.

And as some have said, we don't know anything about what was actually happening on the boat. If you've never been in a prolonged blow offshore, don't try to extrapolate your coastal sailing experience. It isn't the same at all, by a long shot, and for first-timers can be quite harrowing. After surviving the first one, it gets more bearable as long as you're not deathly seasick or injured.
90% chance that boat is floating just fine as we speak unless they left it open. Even if I didn't have offshore experience, why couldn't I extrapolate the experience that I did have? Isn't that what people do every time they have a new experience?
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 05:57   #56

Well in any case there seems to be a Benneteau with an engine problem floating out in the Atlantic for anyone who wants to go get it.
Old 31-10-2011, 06:27   #57

Boat: a sailing boat

Boat looks fine, conditions look fine, rudder loss perhaps?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 06:38   #58

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoe71 View Post
One more from MSNBC, most dangerous part again proven to be moving from one boat to another. Someone almost bought it.

Masonic.com Video Player
While I generally agree with Hud's assessments on matters of sail; and, that video taken from a ship's deck does tend to minimize the appearance of the sea's state, based upon the wave crests, lack of spin-drift and other effects, including the fact that even at distance, the yacht never drops out of view, that sea does not appear to be particularly impressive. What I do notice however, is the violent rolling of the yacht which could have been mitigated with nothing more than a triple-reefed main if not tri-sail. Unfortunately, the shape of the hulls on the Oceanus type Beneteaus is such that they roll pretty easily and quickly which can be very hard on a crew, particularly over an extended period. One could expect that the obvious violent motion would also be sufficient to agitate all of the gunk in a fuel tank which could easily block a fuel filter. A triple reef/tri-sail and storm jib would have made a world of difference.

In any case, unless that yacht is sooner salvaged, I'm willing to bet that in 6-8 months she washes up on the west coast of Ireland or there-abouts and will make a nice find for someone.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 06:49   #59
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

I agree that seas look to be 10ft to 15 ft, but what no one has noticed is the wave period. In both videos, I time it a 5-6 seconds. Have any of you been in the gulf stream against a north wind. Can you say washing machine?

You can barely stand, you have great trouble moving in any direction. Granted this is exaggerated on my catamaran, but that Beneteau was bouncing pretty good.

2nd point is more obvious and known to any who have been through storms at sea. 40 knot winds with rain makes it almost impossible to keep your head exposed to the elements. OK for an hour or so until the wind driven rain begins to hurt your face. If they didn't have goggles on board, and none of the crew who left the rescue boat had them, you won't be able to put your face into the wind.

Lastly, although I will not question their decision to leave the boat, I will question their passage making decision. Already pointed out in this thread is the fickle weather pattern in that part of the world in October. Someone took a gamble, and lost. Thankfully they didn't lose their lives.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 06:57   #60

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post

(...) What I do notice however, is the violent rolling of the yacht which could have been mitigated with nothing more than a triple-reefed main if not tri-sail.

Unfortunately, the shape of the hulls on the Oceanus type Beneteaus is such that they roll pretty easily and quickly which can be very hard on a crew, particularly over an extended period.(...)
+1 on lack of any sail up - thinking maybe there was a reason why they elected not to hoist something to stabilize the movement - maybe a rigging failure or some steering issues.

? on the shape vs. rolling - I would think with the beam and the flattish bottom she would be pretty stable or at least more stable than a similarly ballasted wineglass hull (just speculating).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew