Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2011, 21:57   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Country of Residence of Cruisers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Don't carry your cross here mate... you chose it...
Credit counts for nothing... or have you not noticed lately...
not my cross,mearly an observation,i have my escape well planned,tax free........
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 22:15   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

We all pay tax whenever we buy something and we are all expected to pay tax on any declarable income.

Whether you do or not, is your choice and at your risk, within the rules of your last residency.

Also there are people with multiple citizenships and/or multiple residences, who fall under the radar because of their nomadic life. (Such as a cruiser)

Some of them choose to live offshore (from a tax perspective) which is ok with me as long as they do not intend to comeback to feed off their ex-counties social and welfare system, because of some misguided feeling of entitlement.

In my opinion, you can not have it both ways. You either participate or you relinquish your rights and look after yourself thru to the grave.

But that is only my personal code.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 22:23   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Country of Residence of Cruisers?

Exactly... I get screwed when I buy clothes, I get screwed when I buy food, I get screwed when I buy fuel, I get screwed when I buy a beer, I get screwed when I buy some tobbaco.... I get screwed if I work...
Wot am I but a whore for David Cameron or whoever is the current PIMP

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 22:30   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
We all pay tax whenever we buy something and we are all expected to pay tax on any declarable income.

Whether you do or not, is your choice and at your risk, within the rules of your last residency.

Also there are people with multiple citizenships and/or multiple residences, who fall under the radar because of their nomadic life. (Such as a cruiser)

Some of them choose to live offshore (from a tax perspective) which is ok with me as long as they do not intend to comeback to feed off their ex-counties social and welfare system, because of some misguided feeling of entitlement.

In my opinion, you can not have it both ways. You either participate or you relinquish your rights and look after yourself thru to the grave.

But that is only my personal code.
big problem with this in spain,uk residents claiming uk social security,and housing support and unemployment.

whilst living it up on the costa del sol,most with part time jobs..........

a bit like piracy i guess.........
Old 25-02-2011, 22:59   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
big problem with this in spain,uk residents claiming uk social security,and housing support and unemployment.

whilst living it up on the costa del sol,most with part time jobs..........

a bit like piracy i guess.........
Atoll.... is this possible in Portugal.. please let me know how...
I'm sick of selling my body... apart from that... like deliveries... not much luck lately...

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 25-02-2011, 23:07   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

i think the people who are doing it fly back,easy jet,quite regularly to the uk,seems like a lot of them rent out their rent paid by council flat............and have lots of side lines like ciggys etc
Old 25-02-2011, 23:12   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i think the people who are doing it fly back,easy jet,quite regularly to the uk,seems like a lot of them rent out their rent paid by council flat............and have lots of side lines like ciggys etc
****...... I hate flying...

Old 25-02-2011, 23:13   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Its a control thing....

Old 25-02-2011, 23:19   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

£63 million,thats what they know about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
that would keep you in beer n ciggy for a while

‘We’re closing in’ on benefit thieves in Spain

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8015229.stm
Old 25-02-2011, 23:35   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Couple who claimed £40,000 in benefits as they sailed round the world are jailed

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 4:54 PM on 20th March 2009

A couple who ran a £40,000 benefits swindle while sailing the world on a luxury yacht were jailed today.
Swindlers Shashi Bacheta, 52, and Jeffrey Cole, 58, admitted a total of 20 charges connected with the elaborate fraud, which was played out over almost five years.
Bacheta swindled her way to a series of benefits claiming she was too ill even to walk while she was scuba diving in Kenya and planning to carry on around the world on her lover's £100,000 yacht, The Kismet.

Shashi Bacheta and Jeffrey Cole set sail on a luxury yacht while running an elaborate £40,000 benefits fraud

She was jailed for 21 months today at Swansea Crown Court after the full details of the case were spelled out to a judge over a two-hour period.
Her lover, who was at the "helm" of the con, was jailed for nine months.

Anju Bacheta, 28, daughter of the accused, cried "Oh my God, that's my mother", as Bacheta was taken away to prison.
She was then fined £500 for the minor part she played in the swindle, after admitting fraudulently claiming several hundred pounds for being her mother's carer.
Judge Huw Davies QC gave Cole a lesser jail sentence because of the smaller amount of just over £13,000 he had jointly claimed with Bacheta over the period.
He used an inheritance to buy the luxury yacht, which was the springboard for the couple's sailing trips from where it was moored in Gran Canaria.
Passing sentence, the judge told him: "You were at the helm in a very real sense and set off to enjoy not only your own wealth but such money as you managed to get from public funds."
Carl Harrison, prosecuting, told the court that Bacheta had claimed to be living in a succession of addresses in Swansea, South Wales, where her benefit claims were made.
At the time, she was variously scuba diving in Kenya, swimming with dolphins in the Canary Islands and planning to sail further around the world with Cole.
When the couple were arrested in January last year after an 18-month Department of Work and Pensions investigation in conjunction with Swansea Council, they were already planning a road trip across the US in an imported Volkswagen camper van.
Bacheta, a mother of three, was caught out when investigators tracked down the yacht on an internet blog site called smugmug.com.
On the blog was a series of photographs of Bacheta and her lover Cole lounging on the decks of the Kismet at a time when she claimed to be too ill to get out of bed.
Bacheta had admitted 16 offences of fraudulently claiming housing and council tax benefit, false accounting and obtaining money transfers by deception from the end of 2002 until the start of last year.
Cole, her accomplice, admitted four charges including receiving cash by deception for Bacheta, false accounting and wrongfully obtaining credit.

Read more: Couple who claimed £40,000 in benefits as they sailed round the world are jailed | Mail Online
Old 27-02-2011, 19:43   #26

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

OUCH!
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 20:29   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
If you're talking about income taxes, you pay taxes according to where you earn income, not where you reside. When I earn money in country X, I pay taxes to country X. It's entirely possible to pay taxes in multiple countries at any one point.
That's not entirely correct.

As example, you can earn all the money you want in Panama, and not get taxed on it providing that you are not earning the money from Panamanians.

In other words, if you sell to citizens of any country other than Panama, no tax. If you sell to Panamanians, you pay tax.
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 20:42   #28

Thanks, some interesting points by all.

I am more than prepared to fore-go all the things associated with the Land-lover lifestyle both good and bad.
Just was curious whether Goverments recognise a boat as your primary residence should it come down to having it out with them. I am an Australian citizen and have filed for non-residencey for tax purposes as I am working abroad at present. I plan to go to SE Asia to look for a boat in December once my contract is up here.

The Aus Tax dept will only recognise you as a non-resident if you have a "Domicile" in other words permenant abode in another country. Simply being a drifter without an address won't cut it.
Nathan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 20:44   #29
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
That's not entirely correct.

As example, you can earn all the money you want in Panama, and not get taxed on it providing that you are not earning the money from Panamanians.

In other words, if you sell to citizens of any country other than Panama, no tax. If you sell to Panamanians, you pay tax.
Same as BVI, Cayman Islands, Isle of Man etc. etc. But you still fall under the tax laws of the country where you perform the work.. it's just that the tax laws in these countries state that you owe them nothing

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 00:46   #30

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Don't carry your cross here mate... you chose it...
Credit counts for nothing... or have you not noticed lately...
Quite correct. There is no need for a credit rating on a debit card. Every cruiser should have one.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote