Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2007, 05:09   #1
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Post Convicted in Plot to Kill Couple for Yacht Sentenced to Life Terms

SANTA ANA, Calif. — A 26-year-old mother of two young children was sentenced Friday to two terms of life in prison without the possibility of parole for her role in a plot to kill a wealthy couple for their yacht.

FOXNews.com - California Mother Convicted in Plot to Kill Couple for Yacht Sentenced to Life Terms - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 06:27   #2

Boat: C&C 27
It is amazing some of the schemes that people will attempt. Were the criminals planning to sail off or turn the yacht into cash? Selling the yacht would take weeks, if not months, and getting cash through finance would expose how they obtained the yacht in the first place. Tragic...
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:15   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
pirate

Quote:
The victims were then forced to sign and fingerprint documents transferring ownership of the "Well Deserved" to Deleon before being tied to an anchor and pushed overboard, Machain testified.
It's just another type of piracy.
Old 06-10-2007, 14:18   #4
cruiser

Watch out. There are more pirates INSIDE the USA than outside... that's for sure.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 15:11   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
AMEN TO THAT!

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 16:23   #6

Boat: Westsail 32
Most of them within our government?
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:31   #7

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
I get emotional every time this story comes back in the news... I knew Tom when I work for Yavapai County in Prescott AZ. Such a tragedy - driven by greed.

May they rest in peace...
Old 22-10-2007, 01:10   #8

I too get chills every time I hear or read something about this horrible story. As Markpj23 has surely found it hits pretty hard for those who knew anybody involved with this. I share this uncomfortable familiarity with him, just the other way around. I hope my bringing this up isn't inappropriate or anything, but I think it's worth saying.

Through a friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend type scenario, I was introduced to and for a short time was loosely acquainted with the husband & wife who perpetrated this crime. I met them right around the time they were getting married, and seemed like just about anybody else I'd ever met. Perhaps they struck me as products of Southern California's weak educational system and questionable social atmosphere, but around here lots of people their age are like that. I didn't know them well, but would never have guessed either of them were capable of something like this.

The death of the Hawks was a tragedy without rival, but the loss did not end there. While not enough prayers could possibly be said for the victims, I hope there are still some left out there for the other people out there whose lives were shattered by this. Two children lost their mother and father, mothers and fathers lost their own children. Lifelong friends realized that they didn't really know them at all, and while the loss of friends like those may actually be a net gain, it's still a little bit unsettling to know that you've had Bonnie & Clyde over to your pad for a cocktail party.

And if your faith or whatever else may be permits you even a little forgiveness toward all the people who made this happen, I think they'll need everything they can get.
Gibbous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2007, 18:25   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
What does being the mother of two young children have to do with anything?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2007, 18:52   #10

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
We had two twerps in Miami rent a Buddy Davis (MV Joe Cool) for a trip to Bimini, kill the four crew on board in an attempted hijaking, including a young husband and wife with small children ashore, and then run out of fuel on the way to Cuba. Most of these folks are sociopaths, and not very bright.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:37   #11

Yeh starfish...I am here in Florida too...what a bizarre crime huh?.Obviously these people are not too smart. Speaking about pirates...anybody have any word about that?
Pygar62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 19:22   #12

What SSulivan said, there are more to worry about here in the States than most anywhere else in this part of the world.
Old 05-11-2007, 19:48   #13

It just sickens me to hear crap like this!! Hearing these types of stories then snowballs into a universal atmosphere of distrust to anyone trying to befriend anyone else. Everyone will have a thought in the back of their minds like a what if these people are like them..

Anyway, very sad to hear it happen to such nice decent people.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:19   #14

shadow hit the nail on the head. The one creep in a thousand affects us negatively, and after hearing a story like this, it becomes harder to trust anyone we don't know.

Pygar: where in Fla are you located? I'm on a mooring just south of the Port of Palm Beach.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:00   #15
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pygar62 View Post
Yeh starfish...I am here in Florida too...what a bizarre crime huh?.Obviously these people are not too smart. Speaking about pirates...anybody have any word about that?
The last I read is that the FBI was not going to drop or reduce any of the charges against these guys even though they have only circumstantial evidence. They will be procecuted for Piracy and Murder.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote