Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2010, 18:30   #121

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede View Post

I may have come up with the perfect weapon to defeat these scumbags!

An electromagnetic pulse device can be constructed for a bit under a thousand dollars and attached to a RC speed boat like the one in the following video. The boats travel at 60mph with a range of 3 miles on the open seas. One could attach the emp to this boat, grab the binoculars, and simply guide it towards the offending pirate skiff. As the emp nears the skiff, it'll fry the ignition and the pirates will sit dead in the water as you sail merrily away! The look on the faces of the pirates as the rc boat circled them would be priceless. Could even include onboard video to enhance the experience!

Lesseee, an EMP device that could take out the possibly diesel engine of the pirate scum, but it wouldn't take out your R/C boat and its video?
Riiight.

Ayn Rand
Old 31-10-2010, 18:34   #122

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Lesseee, an EMP device that could take out the possibly diesel engine of the pirate scum, but it wouldn't take out your R/C boat and its video?
Riiight.

It's focused man, it's focused.
Old 31-10-2010, 19:35   #123
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Bluwater Cruiser?

Maybe I just need to rethink my definition of bluewater cruiser...

Old 31-10-2010, 22:17   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Riiight.
Oh brother. I obviously need to go take an emoticon refresher course as I've failed miserably in employing their use. For the record, the first emoticon was meant to signify a lack of seriousness, the second was to serve as acknowledgment of a tall tale, and the third was meant to provide the confirmation of such.

The basic point is that there are more than simply one way to attempt to handle a piracy threat. Some are more comfortable with the singular answer of "arming themselves with weapons". Others would preference pondering a myriad of other potential solutions. In any event, I would neither begrudge the choice, nor pretend to know the best way for, some other unknown captain to handle his transit through that particular area. His vessel. His risk. His choice. I'm exceedingly gratified by the fact that the overwhelming majority experience no adversity after making their choices!
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Old 01-11-2010, 03:21   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoo View Post
I don't agree. The average cruiser can go below, lock all hatches, disconnect the engine battery and get on the radio.

Preparation for such an event would include reinforcing all entry points to the cabin to make entry as difficult as possible.

If the pirates realize it's going to take them a while to gain entry, they are likely to move on to another target before help arrives.
A guy named Molotov invented something that pirates would use to frustrate that strategy. One whiff of gasoline and you'll open that door in a hurry.

Forget the dream of the personal fortress or the armored 40 footer. Far more easier is to avoid areas of real danger and enjoy the other 95% of the oceans.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:43   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpons View Post
A guy named Molotov invented something that pirates would use to frustrate that strategy. One whiff of gasoline and you'll open that door in a hurry.

Forget the dream of the personal fortress or the armored 40 footer. Far more easier is to avoid areas of real danger and enjoy the other 95% of the oceans.
Agree -threats of fire or sinking - ship or yacht - time to surrender!
People must appreciate the power of an AK47 (or 6). It will go thru your hull, your fridge, your head, her head, the head, and out the other hull -possibly injuring a dolphin or two...

There is massive difference between an opportunistic islander swimming out to rape and pillage with a knife between his teeth, and organized military on skiffs with a mother ship, loaded with Aks, etc.
I don't know the answer, but I hope you all clean it up before I go there - thanks.
If you are heading to the Caribbean - much faster to go around South Africa from Darwin.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:26   #127
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fareast, Mariner 40'
I personally would not want to go anywhere close to the area in question.

That said I wonder if good old fashion "Q" ships (or in this case Q yachts would be a deterrent. Picture a fast planning hull with fake mast and several military SF types on board slowly "sailing" in the middle of the convoy. if a pirate attacked, out come the man-pad missiles and serious fire power and down goes a pirate skiff. I would think that several such attacks ending unfavorably would be quite a deterrent.

There is a non-leathal solution that seems quite effective, that acoustic weapon. There was a cruise ship that used it with excellent results. Anyone know if it is available on the civilian market yet?

The BEST way to stay out of trouble is to...stay OUT of trouble.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:29   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M-P View Post
I personally would not want to go anywhere close to the area in question.

That said I wonder if good old fashion "Q" ships (or in this case Q yachts would be a deterrent. Picture a fast planning hull with fake mast and several military SF types on board slowly "sailing" in the middle of the convoy. if a pirate attacked, out come the man-pad missiles and serious fire power and down goes a pirate skiff. I would think that several such attacks ending unfavorably would be quite a deterrent.

There is a non-leathal solution that seems quite effective, that acoustic weapon. There was a cruise ship that used it with excellent results. Anyone know if it is available on the civilian market yet?

The BEST way to stay out of trouble is to...stay OUT of trouble.
Q boat would be perfect!!!
I believe someone mentioned similar earlier - convoy members would chip in etc...
Old 01-11-2010, 13:05   #129

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Commercial ships with a safe full of wages
NOT cruising yachties.
Actually the Thai pirates are individual attacks, (robberies in some cases), against Targets of opportunity. This problem peaked in the 80's with attacks against Vietnamese boat people. The same Thai fishermen that were involved in those attacks are still out there. And still willing to take any, (what they consider), easy targets. Yes, they may just want to "trade for a coke", but it is always easier to just take than trade. The boat people were easy targets because they had been disarmed by the communists, and were mostly women and children, and had most of their belongings on board. Read easy target with high gain.
Old 01-11-2010, 14:15   #130

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede View Post
Oh brother. I obviously need to go take an emoticon refresher course as I've failed miserably in employing their use.

!

They do need a much larger selection. And it would be so easy too.
Old 18-12-2010, 18:41   #131

Boat: Irwin Citation
Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i totally believe in avoidance--no one and no thing that part of world i need to eyeball in person.
Zeehag has the most effective idea! I'm with her and would never even consider transiting these waters in my sailboat. I have been in these waters on both Naval vessels and tanker ships and even though sailboats are not a primary target, I would never even consider it--- There is just nothing in that part of the world that I wish to see any more of unless you are offering a hell of a lot of money for me to go see it.

Crime happens everywhere though and in reading about the sailor that got robbed and beaten in the Eastern Carribean, essentially tortured a bit to obtain a few valuables, it eats away at me, bothers me that such things happen even in relatively "civilized" places. I feel so bad for him and others that such tragedies have occurred to and I believe in hoping for the best but being prepared for the worst.

Currently civilian security firms are bidding on dealing with the coast of Somalia and trust me, they are not in the "arrest" and play "nicey nice" business; They are on that "kill... kill... kill them all" plan that I spoke of in another post. The situation can be quickly stopped in all actuality, simply a matter of changing policies and the expense of it all. I think many more ships have to be hijacked, many more lives will have to be lost, the financial burden has to become much greater and the media coverage of mishaps has to gain more attention before changes are made to make this shipping channel safe. In the meantime? I would not go into these waters with a fiberglass boat, period.
Old 18-12-2010, 20:14   #132
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
short of avoidance, a bow cannon and a storm chaser would be in order...and a crew of highly trained SEAL teams members,,LOL....i also practice lack of shine as a camouflage tactic.doesnt help to stand out in a crowd. shiny attracts rats.
excalif--i like yer thinking-- but would kinda stand out in a crowd.....but isnt shiny......
seriously--some of the ideas are wonderfully pricy.. ye think folks would cruise to a place requiring an armed flotilla to approach?? i wouldnt. i live under the helos of usn all day long and every day of the year.i want to be way from war machines. and as hunky and awesomely built as are the teams members, i would prefer to remain away from their training grounds. a convoy is a righteous idea-- but is still in midst of military show--i am not into that-- overdosed i think...sin diego can do that to ye....
Old 18-12-2010, 21:19   #133

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
C'mon 'Z', you can't tell me that those Navy Seals right across the channel from where you are moored don't give you a wee bit of a secure feeling ( and perhaps other more pedestrian ones) knowing they are so close by. I'm sure they would provide the same level of security if they were sailing next to you off Somalia or some other not so friendly coast... cheers, Capt Phil
Old 18-12-2010, 22:05   #134

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking
You aren't really expecting a "common sense answer to pirates" from a "cruiser" who sits under a bridge in the US, are you?

But perhaps you're right. This thread seems to have lost its original purpose...
Old 18-12-2010, 23:51   #135
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hacking View Post
You aren't really expecting a "common sense answer to pirates" from a "cruiser" who sits under a bridge in the US, are you?

But perhaps you're right. This thread seems to have lost its original purpose...
who sits under a bridge all the time?? do you??
Closed Thread

Tags
guns, piracy