Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2011, 02:45   #31

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Coast Guard Rescue Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
Shoreside peeps pulling the alarm too soon can be a bit tough. BUT the flip side can be bad as well. I was once 4 DAYS overdue and the floatplan keepers didn't call the alarm.... Their rational was that I'd figure it out and get in somehow. When I got into cell range and called they said they were going to give it "1 more day"! Glad I wasn't bobbing out there in the dink!
There is a lot of effort expended on these time alarm scenarios... if I don't show up by x then you do y. Here in Australia there is a system of volunteer coastal stations that exhort one to "log on with them" with detailed float plans, frequent check-ins via VHF and so on. I suppose that one can invent a situation where that would result in a rescue that would have otherwise not been effected, but in my observation essentially all rescues are made after an active call for help. Maybe via VHF, maybe SSB, rarely by flare, more likely EPIRB, but something done by the vessel requiring help.

With the advent of reliable and inexpensive EPIRBS (required to be carried here in Oz) all the hoo-haa about float plans etc seems a waste of time to me. I have yet to hear of a rescue that was carried out when a float plan ETA was not met. May have happened, but isn't a common occurrence. I expect that this attitude will ruffle some feathers, but that's how it looks to me.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Marmong Point, Lake Macquarie NSW Oz
Old 14-04-2011, 04:41   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
But look, their real mistake wasn't in poor navigation or preparation, and apparently they didn't really need rescuing. Their mistake was in telling folks to call the Coasties if they didn't get back by a certain time. Seems at least possible that left alone they would have seen land when the sun came up, or at least been able to guess which direction East was... of course, maybe not... we'll never know!

But the concept of overzealous shore folks is real. We were once reported "overdue" when we missed our ETA for arriving in Hilo from Bora Bora... by 4 hours!!! At least in this case no search was initiated, and we were not thus greatly embarrassed.
You got that right! This reminded me of the time my girlfriend called the Coast Guard because I was a little late getting home. I was working on the boat and lost track of the time. The boat was on jackstands in the boatyard at the time.
Old 14-04-2011, 05:50   #33

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
High spot on the island is 1600 feet so some one can do the Pythagorean math...
Sorry Sara, but you are wrong, the highest peak on Catalina is Mt Orizaba, at 2125' elev.

Furthermore, anyone who lives in Los Angeles will tell you that you can easily see Catalina from the beaches of Malibu to shores of Newport Beach on average day, and much further on the really crisp days.
Old 14-04-2011, 06:48   #34
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Thanks Doug. I thought the airstrip was at the high point.

Anyone know what the visibility was like during their trip?

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 06:57   #35
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Thumbs up Re: Coast Guard Rescue Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I hear this a bit. My answer is - tough sh#t

Sounds harsh, because it is. I leave it up to the Rescuers to decide for themselves whether it is "safe" to attempt a rescue. and if the answer is a no, then tough on the boater. IMO no one has a "right" to rescue, especially when it involves risk to others.

But if rescuer decides conditions are safe enough, but nonetheless something goes wrong - well, IMO that is just how it is. The folks involved would know that is a possibility before they signed up (or lifted off)....and if they didn't like the risks, then they can refuse to go - or do something else.

Of course I appreciate that different cultures have different expectations over what others have to do for them, in order not to be inconvenianced.
Indeed!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rescue