Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2011, 15:48   #91

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenmccraw
Regarding the question of "why the insurance won't pay"....

I went and looked thru my insurance policy. I don't have anything special - and it's for a similar boat. I believe my insurance would pay in this case. I don't see anything that says "we don't pay if the captain does something we don't like". As long as you are in the proper territory (which is north of the FLA line on my policy) after June 1, I think my policy would pay. I won't test the theory, but I'm pretty sure I'm covered.
I agree with you .... I read very carefully through the policy I sign and amend the wording where necessary to include named storms etc.
After all, we insure because as humans we sometimes make mistakes?
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 16:04   #92
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Coast Guard Helping Sailboat In Distress at Ocean View In Norfolk, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
Never quite thought of lagoon 440 owners as having deep pockets ..... Think that belongs in the class if Gunboat?
Damn sight deeper than Coribee 21 owners... but then I guess its just down to perspectives.... 2K vs 200+K....

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 16:24   #93

Boat: Irwin 40
Re: Coast Guard Helping Sailboat In Distress at Ocean View In Norfolk, VA

I can't help but note the Coast Guard did not help these people. What happened to the days when men would go out in row boats to rescue sailors in distress? Maybe now that the Coast Guard is part of the Homeland Security we need to think about getting back to a volunteer life boat service to help civilian boaters. Of course then we have to worry about being sued when helping. Just some thoughts about the state we are in. I know the Coast Guard does a fine job and most of the time will risk a lot to save a boater in distress but it does seem sometimes the rules get in the way of doing the right thing.
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 16:47   #94

Boat: O'Day 28
Re: Deep pockets

Quote:
Never quite thought of lagoon 440 owners as having deep pockets .....

I googled and the first one I saw was half a mil. I'm an addict. I never get tired of the stuff I read here.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 17:01   #95

Boat: Pearson 323 - Island Breezes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
If this is true, why won't the insurance company pay out ?
If it's true, what is the use of insurance?
From one of the articles, it has something to do with sailing into or during the hurricane.

I know everyone likes to pick on the big bad company, we all hate our evil greedy insurance companies who want to screw us out of everything, but there needs to be certain limits.

This probably falls under that limit, unless they could go to court and show exceptional circumstances why their boat was in harms way(engine out, impossible to repair, impossible to move the boat to a safer area, etc etc).

That's all arm chairing though. We don't really know the entire story, just wants in the press and they usually get things wrong.
LauderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 17:05   #96

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
I agree with you .... I read very carefully through the policy I sign and amend the wording where necessary to include named storms etc.
After all, we insure because as humans we sometimes make mistakes?

They let you amend the wording in thier policy, and accept it after you sign it?
Old 30-08-2011, 17:06   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauderBoy

From one of the articles, it has something to do with sailing into or during the hurricane.

I know everyone likes to pick on the big bad company, we all hate our evil greedy insurance companies who want to screw us out of everything, but there needs to be certain limits.

This probably falls under that limit, unless they could go to court and show exceptional circumstances why their boat was in harms way(engine out, impossible to repair, impossible to move the boat to a safer area, etc etc).

That's all arm chairing though. We don't really know the entire story, just wants in the press and they usually get things wrong.
Stick with a really well known and reputable insurance company geared toward sailors - it makes a HUGE difference who you unsure with
Old 30-08-2011, 17:10   #98

Pantaenius is exceptionally good when it comes to mishaps and human error
Old 30-08-2011, 17:18   #99

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailvayu View Post
I can't help but note the Coast Guard did not help these people. What happened to the days when men would go out in row boats to rescue sailors in distress? Maybe now that the Coast Guard is part of the Homeland Security we need to think about getting back to a volunteer life boat service to help civilian boaters. Of course then we have to worry about being sued when helping. Just some thoughts about the state we are in. I know the Coast Guard does a fine job and most of the time will risk a lot to save a boater in distress but it does seem sometimes the rules get in the way of doing the right thing.
For over a hundred yaers the unofficial USCG motto was "you have to go out but you don't have to come back"..

After more USCG aircrews died than the number of people they were trying to save (during the 70/80's)...the new motto became "you have to go out but you have to come back".

I was one of the outspoken against going into suicide conditions from the minute I was designated aircraft commander. I wasn't going to turn my wife and the wives of my crew into widows for a couple knuckleheaded boaters that should have known better. Sure I would try...but only to the point of where it became my survival over theirs...don't get me wrong..I have a few lifesaving medals for bravery..one or two they should have never given me for being TOO reckless if they thought longer about it....

I have a photo of the crashed USCG Humbolt Bay helo wedged in the trees behind a sailboat swinging peacefully at anchor...the night before the whining sailors were scared and the helo went to save them...unfortunately the mountain took four lives...I kept the photo in my date timer for the rest of my 23 year career as a reminder.

Yes the USCG still performs miracles on a regular basis...but as you can see the sailors survived just fine...and no Coasties died or destroyed valuable equipment needed for more serious rescue work down the line.

I had dozens of rescues that once on scene I evaluated that no action was the safest route for all...and all returned home safely rather than being a cowboy and something serious going wrong. Rescue in storm conditions is a dangerous thing for all involved...just because USCG aircrews make it look easy a lot...doen't mean things can't go fatally wrong in a heartbeat.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 17:19   #100

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
They let you amend the wording in thier policy, and accept it after you sign it?
If they will sign it too then yes and I have had several that will change wording when it's appropriate and the underwriter will go for it.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 17:26   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld

If they will sign it too then yes and I have had several that will change wording when it's appropriate and the underwriter will go for it.
Yes, infact with all my business insuranc as well - I almost always change / delete where it won't work for me / add and amend ..... And as long as it is sensible and reasonable then it is accepted. Remember, they want your business .....
Normally the fine print is in their favour and they hope to let it slide and it is very important to read and understand what they are saying ------ imagine the possibilities, discuss with your broker and amend the wording to suit.
Sometimes they may add a but to the premium but negotiate.
Old 30-08-2011, 17:30   #102

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
For over a hundred yaers the unofficial USCG motto was "you have to go out but you don't have to come back"..

After more USCG aircrews died than the number of people they were trying to save (during the 70/80's)...the new motto became "you have to go out but you have to come back".

I was one of the outspoken against going into suicide conditions from the minute I was designated aircraft commander. I wasn't going to turn my wife and the wives of my crew into widows for a couple knuckleheaded boaters that should have known better. Sure I would try...but only to the point of where it became my survival over theirs...don't get me wrong..I have a few lifesaving medals for bravery..one or two they should have never given me for being TOO reckless if they thought longer about it....

I have a photo of the crashed USCG Humbolt Bay helo wedged in the trees behind a sailboat swinging peacefully at anchor...the night before the whining sailors were scared and the helo went to save them...unfortunately the mountain took four lives...I kept the photo in my date timer for the rest of my 23 year career as a reminder.

Yes the USCG still performs miracles on a regular basis...but as you can see the sailors survived just fine...and no Coasties died or destroyed valuable equipment needed for more serious rescue work down the line.

I had dozens of rescues that once on scene I evaluated that no action was the safest route for all...and all returned home safely rather than being a cowboy and something serious going wrong. Rescue in storm conditions is a dangerous thing for all involved...just because USCG aircrews make it look easy a lot...doen't mean things can't go fatally wrong in a heartbeat.

Good for you!!!
Old 30-08-2011, 17:33   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

Wow!

Wonder how it would work for Verizon?
Old 30-08-2011, 17:37   #104

Quote:
Yes, infact with all my business insuranc as well - I almost always change / delete where it won't work for me / add and amend ..... And as long as it is sensible and reasonable then it is accepted. Remember, they want your business .....
Normally the fine print is in their favour and they hope to let it slide and it is very important to read and understand what they are saying ------ imagine the possibilities, discuss with your broker and amend the wording to suit.
Sometimes they may add a but to the premium but negotiate.
There is the hard part for the average person.

I can read, but understanding..........

I know. Find a good broker. One that has your intrests at heart.
Old 30-08-2011, 19:10   #105

Boat: Tartan 30

Judging by the pictures... I'd say the front fell off.

Tags
distress, sailboat