Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 03:44   #166
Eternal Member

Re: Coast Guard Helping Sailboat In Distress at Ocean View In Norfolk, VA

A CH-54 Skycrane -- or its mod S-64F with a payload of 25,000lbs -- could do it nicely. Especially if the 7,600lb wing keel were dropped.

Wonder if the Army would like to help out a former serviceman with a nice little training mission?

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:45   #167

Boat: Beneteau 34'
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag
would a heavy crane work? or a heavy fork lift with a truck and trailer, low boy flat bed??

does anyone know who does this and if it could work?

could be a place to start?

psneed--did those come out to look at this boat--i doubt it. the rescue crew saw it. they rescue humans and dont spend a lot of time with the truecondition of the boat.
It would take considerable equipment and manpower to remove the boat. If the guy had insurance - it would have been done by now.

Its just like if you have an old falling down house in the middle of town - the govt makes you clean it up.

Leaving a boat on the beach isn't safe. And would probably cost around $20,000 to move. Who wants to pay for it? If I lived in that town I wouldn't want it added to the towns bill for my taxes to eventually end up paying.

A lot of the people on this forum are wholly against any kind of regulation on the boating industry (mandatory insurance, license requirements...etc) but don't you see - it's issues exactly like this that make the govt want to enact those regulations?

Why should anyone but the owner pay to remove his own boat? It's his fault. But because he couldn't pay 800-1200 a year for insurance now the local town is going to end up footing the bill.
Sailagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:49   #168
Armchair Bucketeer

My guess (could be wrong ) is that if it looked like progress was being made on the ground and with them being advised of (realistic) plans.....that a deadline would not be enforced, at least not strictly (even if remains hanging over the owner).

Sounds like that instead an accurate assessment has been made by all concerned about the owner's ability to do anything himself. Mostly by being potless, partly from being in denial / wishful thinking (that being how the boat arrived in the first place). IMO in everyone's interest (including Owner) that boat be removed ASAP before any clean up trebles in size (and cost) as she breaks up and spreads her way around.

Telling that no one even offered 5 cents on the dollar for her, as is where is.......
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:50   #169

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
A CH-54 Skycrane -- or its mod S-64F with a payload of 25,000lbs -- could do it nicely. Especially if the 7,600lb wing keel were dropped.

Wonder if the Army would like to help out a former serviceman with a nice little training mission?

Bill
Can't compete with the salvage companies...could do it for the city if the city "siezed" the vessel (maybe)...but the vessel might be full of sand that someone would have to shovel out first.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:06   #170
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Coast Guard Helping Sailboat In Distress at Ocean View In Norfolk, VA

If you cant take the heat stay outa the kitchen....
each man is responsible for themselves... how seriously they take their responsibility is no one elses fault..
who knows how many times in the past has the guy blown it and been bailed out...
A lot of us are sailing boats without full insurance cover... and a few with none at all... the same could happen to one of us at any time...
But how many would have put ourselves in that situation in the 1st place...
Aid should be aimed at worthy causes...
Not just seemingly throwing good money after bad...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:25   #171

I found some video of the boat under discussion before it ended up on the beach:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: SCENES FROM HURRICANE IRENE

Plus a few others that make you appreciate the importance of chafe protection on lines and what some boats can go through in these storms.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:36   #172

Boat: Tartan 30

the boat is a loss. I don't know if it's been made clear whether he had insurance or not, alot of assumptions going on... But either way, with insurance, he'll get the full payout for total loss, without it, well... The boat needs to be stripped of all salvagable hardware, electronics, etc... And cut up and hauled away, whether the city does it and bills him for it, or he does it himself (or the insurance company pays for it) doesn't really matter. Hiring cranes and salvage companies at this point is a waste of time.

I might go down there and see if I can find this guy... I could use some new winches
Old 03-09-2011, 19:14   #173
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuthbert View Post
Could you expand on this a bit? You give courses and recommend people to take courses on when to offer assistance and in doing so how to avoid being sued?
Firstly, there is nothing you can do beyond slinking away without being noticed to avoid being sued. However, the idea of the Good Samaritan Law is that you are not held liable, so thus you either have the case dismissed or ended on summary judgement. You will still have to pay to defend yourself, and anytime you get involved with the court system there is absolutely *no way* to figure what's going to happen. There's no shortage of Personal Injury sharks who are willing to pull the handle on the "Blind Lady Slot Machine" because the payouts beat Vegas odds.

I suggested the course, or even a First Aid and CPR course because laws vary everywhere. In California, USA, where I live, it's changed in the last year. The CA Supreme court decided to hold a lady liable who pulled her good friend from a wrecked vehicle, deciding that removing her wasn't "medical care" and thus not covered. Then the legislature ammended the law to read:

(a) No person who in good faith, and not for compensation, renders emergency medical or nonmedical care at the scene of an emergency shall be liable for any civil damages resulting from any act or omission. The scene of an emergency shall not include emergency departments and other places where medical care is usually offered. This subdivision applies only to the medical, law enforcement, and emergency personnel specified in this chapter.

(b) (1) It is the intent of the Legislature to encourage other individuals to volunteer, without compensation, to assist others in need during an emergency, while ensuring that those volunteers who provide care or assistance act responsibly.

Depending on where you live, there are lots of variables. Some states like Minnesota *require* assistance (misdemeanor if you don't), some consider dialing EMS as valid assistance. Canada has a sweet version that covers them (they're so nice and helpful anyway, might as well reward them for it), and everyone goes out to Timmy Hortons afterwards.

I'm no expert and certainly no lawyer, so I just teach what I've been taught. I'm also a bit on the paranoid side when it comes to my local protocols, but that's just a product of occupational experiences .

JRM
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:11   #174
DLP

This area is flush with barge cranes, tugs and people who move the un-moveable every day. High tide +/- 8-10K will place the sailboat either floating on its own or setting upright on a small barge.
DLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:59   #175

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLP View Post
This area is flush with barge cranes, tugs and people who move the un-moveable every day. High tide +/- 8-10K will place the sailboat either floating on its own or setting upright on a small barge.
And who is going to pay????...as mentioned several times before....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 17:00   #176

Boat: Tartan 30
He's going to pay one way or the other. If the city does the work, they'll bill him for it. And if he doesn't pay, they'll sue him fir it. If he's insures then he's paying fornit already... Otherwise it would have to come out of his pocket. No matter how it works out, he is the one paying for it...
Old 05-09-2011, 17:30   #177

Boat: Beneteau 34'
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy
He's going to pay one way or the other. If the city does the work, they'll bill him for it. And if he doesn't pay, they'll sue him fir it. If he's insures then he's paying fornit already... Otherwise it would have to come out of his pocket. No matter how it works out, he is the one paying for it...
You can't get blood from a stone

And you can't get money from a broke guy

And if that's the case the citizens of the town that pays for removal are going to end up paying for it in their tax bills.
Sailagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 18:25   #178

Boat: 1973 Ericson 27

I think the cat should hire an attorney and sue them for incompetence/damages & seek emancipation.

It was a nice boat. I walked around her the following morning- it was a bit sad to see her in the sand 30 feet from the water.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 18:32   #179
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

dale--donot forget feline endangerment
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:56   #180

Speaking of cats! .......There, but for the grace of Dog, go I :-)
YADO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
distress, sailboat