Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2014, 14:32   #1

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Coast Guard Cutter "Key Largo" Rams and Sinks Fishing Boat off P.R.

It'll be interesting to read the official report on this one:

Coast Guard Cutter Crashes Into, Sinks Fishing Boat | Military.com

The Virgin Islands Daily News, St. Thomas | Sep 25, 2014 | by Jenny Kane

ST. THOMAS -- A 110-foot U.S. Coast Guard cutter drove into a 42-foot commercial fishing boat Tuesday morning, sinking the boat but miraculously leaving no one injured.
Two men, Capt. Winston Ledee, 57, and Kenneth Turbe, 30, were fishing for lobster in Ledee's vessel, the "Sea Shepherd," when the San Juan-based cutter "Key Largo" smashed into the fishing vessel at 6:38 a.m., according to U.S. Coast Guard regional spokesman Ricardo Castrodad.
The collision occurred about 9 nautical miles east-northeast of Vieques, Puerto Rico, and the Coast Guard is investigating the accident, Castrodad said.
He did not know how long the investigation would take or what the consequences would be if the Coast Guard is determined to be at fault. Just a few of the questions the Coast Guard hopes to answer via the investigation is how fast the cutter was going; how many crew members were supposed to be on the lookout on the "Key Largo"; and, if they were on the lookout, how the cutter ended up slicing through the fishing boat at a 90-degree angle.
Neither Ledee, the captain of the boat, nor Turbe, nor any of the members of the Coast Guard crew were injured. Both Ledee and Turbe leapt into the water before the impact.
After the collision, the Coast Guard crew retrieved Ledee from the water, and Turbe from the boat after Turbe climbed back onto the vessel.
The boat sank shortly thereafter, Castrodad said.
It is not certain at this point that the vessel will be salvageable, according to Sea Tow Capt. Alan Wentworth.
Ledee contacted Wentworth on Tuesday, asking that Sea Tow retrieve the sunken vessel, though Wentworth is concerned that the "Sea Shepherd" could have fallen at the edge of the South Drop.
The South Drop is southwest of Sail Rock, between St. Thomas and Culebra. Prior to the drop, the depth is about 120 feet, but, past it, the depths range from 600 feet to 2,000 feet.
"It may be unreachable. We are hoping it's on the edge," Wentworth said.
Sea Tow is expected to try to retrieve the Sea Shepherd on Thursday morning, according to Wentworth.
This is the second devastating catastrophe to happen on one of Ledee's vessels in just two years.
Ledee's vessel, the "Great White II," a 35-foot lobster boat, ran aground on the northwest corner of Saba Island, about two miles southwest of King Airport on St. Thomas just after 5 a.m. Feb. 15, 2013.
When Sea Tow arrived after that accident, Wentworth found Ledee aboard another local fishing boat, which had stopped to help Ledee and Tony "Pirate Tony" Neely.
At the time, Neely was still in the water floating on a buoy because he could not move his legs.
It turned out that Neely had broken his back in three places, and his spinal cord was crushed. Today, he is paralyzed from the chest down.
Following the accident with the Great White II, Ledee had severe injuries as well. His liver and spleen were crushed, and he was bleeding internally. It took him several weeks to recover.
Ledee could not be reached for comment about Tuesday's collision, though both he and Turbe were transported back to St. Thomas by the Coast Guard cutter -- which sustained only minor damage -- early Tuesday afternoon, according to Castrodad.
"It is unfortunate that this has happened," Castrodad said.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 15:27   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Coast Guard cutter "Key Largo" rams and sinks fishing boat off P.R.

In two words: un believable!

Looking forward to more info on this (?) accident.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 15:33   #3
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40

This got a lot of play because the vessel was (somewhat ironically for a fishing boat) named "Sea Shepherd." A few fact-checkingly-challenged folks tried to make like it was a tangle between the Coast Guard and the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society.

It wasn't.

But that guy has some seriously bad luck. That first incident sounds like a real number.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 19:10   #4

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Coast Guard cutter "Key Largo" rams and sinks fishing boat off P.R.

Hitting an anchored boat that size in good light with flat seas is pretty amazing. More work for Allan at Seatow I guess.

Latest update http://stthomassource.com/content/ne...boat-collision

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 18:05   #5

Somthing odd in this one...
Seacod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 18:54   #6

It's been well discussed at the local watering holes! http://m.virginislandsdailynews.com/...sing-1.1761037

Old 29-09-2014, 19:16   #7

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

6:38 AM should have been just about sunrise. One has to wonder if the cutter was headed east. Seeing a 42 foot boat from the bridge of a cutter while looking into the sunrise might be pretty difficult. Also wooden fishing boats don't show up well at all on my radar. I assume the Coasties might have a bit better radar, but unless they had a radar reflector they might not have seen them on radar either. I suppose we'll get a report sometime next year that will tell us what happened.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 22:39   #8

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
6:38 AM should have been just about sunrise. One has to wonder if the cutter was headed east. Seeing a 42 foot boat from the bridge of a cutter while looking into the sunrise might be pretty difficult. Also wooden fishing boats don't show up well at all on my radar. I assume the Coasties might have a bit better radar, but unless they had a radar reflector they might not have seen them on radar either. I suppose we'll get a report sometime next year that will tell us what happened.
I didn't research the article, but if the fishing boat was US flagged then it's required to have AIS running.
Old 30-09-2014, 04:09   #9

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

Fishing boats are exempt. This may change, but they are opposed and they have a good lobby. I expect it is because that would give away the locations of their favorite spots.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 04:21   #10

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Since when is AIS a replacement for a lookout in low vis conditions? What if it was not a fishing vessel?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 05:08   #11

Boat: Catalina 30

Ruh roh Raggy. Someone is in big trouble
Old 30-09-2014, 05:19   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
Ruh roh Raggy. Someone is in big trouble
I hate to say should be too, but it's part of being Captain you know.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 05:29   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I didn't research the article, but if the fishing boat was US flagged then it's required to have AIS running.

This is from the FAQ on the CG website-----

9. Are fishing vessels subject to AIS carriage, and, are onboard Vessel Monitoring Systems (VMS) an acceptable substitute for AIS? Most fishing vessels are not currently subject to AIS carriage requirements, except for those on International voyage and of 300 gross tonnage (GT ITC) or greater (see 33 CFR 164.46(a)(2)). Note, the fishing vessel exception in 33 CFR 164.46(a)(1) and (a)(3)(i) only applies to fishing vessel' as defined in 46 USC 2101, which means a vessel that “commercially engages in the catching, taking, or harvesting of fish or an activity that can reasonably be expected to result in the catching, taking, or harvesting of fish”; it does not extend to domestic 'fish processing vessels' or 'fish tender vessels' transiting a Vessel Traffic Service area.

Old 30-09-2014, 06:29   #14

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'
Re: Coast Guard Cutter "Key Largo" Rams and Sinks Fishing Boat off P.R.

A couple of years ago, this same Captain (Winston) fell asleep at the helm while fishing lobster off STT. His mate on board (Pirate Tony) was napping in between pulling pots. The boat ran aground hard breaking Tony's back and leaving him paralyzed from the shoulders down.
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 13:58   #15

Boat: csy 37
Re: Coast Guard Cutter "Key Largo" Rams and Sinks Fishing Boat off P.R.

No mention of whether the fishing boat was displaying the proper lights - all around red over white - or daylight signal - two cones with apexes together.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cutter, fish, fishing, key largo