Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-12-2008, 17:53   #16

I have been cruising around fl. west coast and east cost for 4 to 5 years and haven't had any problems at all, matter fact everyone been really nice to me. I stay on the hook alot and some times on a mooring or a slip every now and then. I always seem to be able to fine places were you are aloud to I guess. Hmmm go figue.

Old 04-12-2008, 17:56   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
I have to admit Steve, I too have had the same experiences that you have.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 19:19   #18

Boat: Knysna 480
And they charge everyboby a 6% user's tax. Florida sucks!
Old 04-12-2008, 21:30   #19

strange that they kept mentioning the million dollar views being blocked. Also looks like all the people that replied in the paper are people that wish they lived that life style but dont so they dont want any one to. the cities should be able to tell who is dumping the boats and remove those. if you dont visit your boat on a regular basis than it should be taken away. and everone has to regester your boat so if there is a boat out there with a late sticker give it a warning and than move it and sell it. you shouldnt take it out on everone. id take some of those boats for free.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:41   #20

Boat: Beneteau 393, "Blackthorn"
Park your car on the side of the road for 30 days and see what happens. I don't think Florida's 30/120 rules are restrictive. As a matter of fact, I could never understand why Florida did not take better care of its waterways and allowed all manner of junk to accumulate in anchorages as long as it had an anchor out.
Case in point, Boot Key in Marathon: at one time I counted 33 derelict boats in the basin. Neither the state or county would do anything about it. A hurricane blew through and the government spent all manner of money cleaning the streets. Nothing was reserved to clean the waterways with regard to the derelict boats.
I guess they have grown up and want to keep their land and water pristine. The sign most often seen in parks, "take only pictures, leave only footprints" would serve the boating community well if they could remember it.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:38   #21
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jentine View Post
Park your car on the side of the road for 30 days and see what happens. I don't think Florida's 30/120 rules are restrictive. As a matter of fact, I could never understand why Florida did not take better care of its waterways and allowed all manner of junk to accumulate in anchorages as long as it had an anchor out.
Case in point, Boot Key in Marathon: at one time I counted 33 derelict boats in the basin. Neither the state or county would do anything about it. A hurricane blew through and the government spent all manner of money cleaning the streets. Nothing was reserved to clean the waterways with regard to the derelict boats.
I guess they have grown up and want to keep their land and water pristine. The sign most often seen in parks, "take only pictures, leave only footprints" would serve the boating community well if they could remember it.
Come, on, you don't live in your car for extended periods of time so that is not a fair comparison. There are not hundereds of thousands of boats traveling along the waterway every day for traffic and safety concerns. Read the myriad of posts already here on this subject. THE STATE ALREADY HAS LAWS TO DEAL WITH THESE DERELICTS. They can now and have been able to resolve this problem a long time ago. They are just too lazy to enforce current state and federal laws to make it happen. And they don't want any anchored boats and the derelicts are another excuse to get rid of all of us and put us in expensive marinas.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 05-12-2008, 07:39   #22

I guess it all in how you look at it Jentine, having grew up in the keys, yes I'm a counch, I kinda think it was alot pretty back in the 60s and 70s before they over built with all the houses and condos and ran most all the fishermen who alot of them lived on there boats and the house boats out of there. Over the years most all the old counchs have just gave up and left, matter fact if you talk to most of them they just shake there head with a very sad look in there eyes, just like I do on how they have just about ruin the place. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:12   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Hey, Steve, How can a counch be a conch? No offense, all conchs are known for creative spelling! I too have found no problems encountered with anchoring in Florida waters. We've been cruising Forida waters since 1972 and our only encounter with any authority was a polite DNR boarding in Georiga!
as for the poster from Steamboat, Co. disgusted with the Fl. 6% tax; it's important to note that this is in existance due to NO state income tax in Florida!
Old 05-12-2008, 08:28   #24

Hey CaptForce, I guess I'am just getting brain dead, but probably will get a little better when the coffee kicks in this morin.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:58   #25

Ha, we have both! Isn't civilization grand!
Old 06-12-2008, 18:36   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier View Post
Come, on, you don't live in your car for extended periods of time so that is not a fair comparison. There are not hundereds of thousands of boats traveling along the waterway every day for traffic and safety concerns.
I would venture a guess that there are 10 times as many RV 'livaboards' on the roads as there are livaboard cruisers on the waters of the US. Would you like it if I parked my 35' RV on the street in front of your house for a month?
Old 06-12-2008, 20:23   #27
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
I would venture a guess that there are 10 times as many RV 'livaboards' on the roads as there are livaboard cruisers on the waters of the US. Would you like it if I parked my 35' RV on the street in front of your house for a month?
No but if you wanted to park it out in a vacant field somewhere I could care less. BTW, there are many folks that park their RVs in the streets in front of their and their neighbors houses for weeks and months when not in use and I am not aware of police knocking on their door. So lets get real, We are discussing boats on public waterways not cars, RVs, jet airplanes, or firetrucks.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 06-12-2008, 22:41   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Quote:
No but if you wanted to park it out in a vacant field somewhere I could care less. BTW, there are many folks that park their RVs in the streets in front of their and their neighbors houses for weeks and months when not in use and I am not aware of police knocking on their door. So lets get real, We are discussing boats on public waterways not cars, RVs, jet airplanes, or firetrucks.

Yea, me neither!

But if you burn the field or leave too big a pile of poo then there are rules on the book for that.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:38   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Quote:
It is a fair comparison. I usually do not care if someone parks an RV in a field somewhere either.
But how would you feel if I parked my RV for a month in front of your house? And ran the holding tank hose out to the curb? And hung my underwear on the antenna?
The laws may be different but the effect is similar. And most suburban and urban cities do have laws regulating where and for how long you can park an RV, even in your own driveway.
I would give common courtesy to my neighbors and not park an RV in front of their house for 'weeks or months when not in use'. Evidently you don't understand the idea of common courtesy. This is exactly the reason we're into this mess...the bum boats that feel common courtesy does not apply to them. Screw those rich people who can afford a nice house.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:23   #30

Boat: Beneteau 393, "Blackthorn"
Chuck, you certainly are contrary. Whatever any else says, you disagree. I can't believe that if I parked a car in front of your house that didn't run, had no plates, had plastic bags for windows and six poor homeless persons in it that you wouldn't call the police and report it. I also can't believe that you support derelicts in the waterways as long as they aren't in your view. Nor can I believe that you believe all the drivel you spew supporting the rights of "cruisers" to linger on an anchor for as long as they choose.
I have not read anything that suggests that the state of Florida's 30/120 rule would infringe upon the rights of travellers on the waterways.
Jim

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, florida

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: