Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-01-2016, 03:11   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Cata sank in the Caribbean on Sunday 24/01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
14 posts before the first monohuller made the half joke and then turned the tread into a multi-basher-defender. Never changes does it but 14 was pretty good, it's usually less.
surprised me too. They're getting slower.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 05:55   #47

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

According to the "Coast Guard News" snippet in post #3, the vessel was variously "sinking" and "partially submerged". That makes sense. I don't know who came up with the words "floating just below the surface" but that would hardly be possible. Either you sink or you float!
More than likely, the boat was actually just partially submerged - which I have now learned is what is supposed to happen, when you have a really bad day in a cat.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk

Old 28-01-2016, 13:42   #48

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
smj,
These comments are not only rude and insensitive but, infantile at best. To criticize a sailor's choice of a vessel: an object that is perhaps his most intimate connection other than human is pathetic. What is your logic and intent for that remark? If a man owns a Hunter-- he is not brave, smart, competent? Somehow flawed? You, my friend, need to get a life. Or perhaps, your life is based upon telling others what type of boat you own? May I be the first CF member to apologize to AKPRB for your insensitive remarks. Criticizing someone's boat adds nothing to a conversation and the boat you own says nothing about the quality and character of its owner.
Oh get a life

Are you living in a monastery get off your high horse and take a step back. He was having a joke. obviously
Old 28-01-2016, 14:21   #49

Boat: Checkmate Strobe 201

So if cats don't sink (and I am assuming this is true, not trying to make an argument one way or the other). Then what becomes of this hazard to navigation? That would prove to be a really crappy thing to hit at night while making a crossing.
Old 28-01-2016, 14:57   #50
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

What I just can't understand is why - why - why it is so hard to fathom that some catamarans do sink, and some are impossible to sink. Is it that so many individuals are incapable of clear, high end thought processes? We certainly see it on the streets every day but that so many congregate here is incredible. There must be a minimum of 500 threads now with this same back and forth so somehow it just can't be comprehended.

http://highwaymail.co.za/211364/upda...-its-way-home/

Here is a story of a catamaran that was lost over one year ago. Is is sunk? Submerged? Unsinkable? If left would it eventually sink? What's the most important part of the story - 3 men lost their lives on a delivery or that the boat's still floating?

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/palarran/
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 10:02   #51

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Oh get a life

Are you living in a monastery get off your high horse and take a step back. He was having a joke. obviously
Rustic,
Would you consider it a joke if someone referred to your boat as a piece of sh_t? The inference of the remark was denigrating since any reasonable person would only interpret it as "What do you know? You own a piece of sh_t.(Hunter)" The "smiling face" at the end of the retort has no consequence in light of the comment. It actually, in my opinion, adds insult to injury. In regards to me living in a monastery . . . sorry . . . I've always enjoyed the company of women too much for that . . . but, perhaps you have spent some time with the monks and could share your ascetic experiences . . . bread, water, celibacy?, flagellation? . . . did I miss anything, Rustic? But, back to the point: if I need to insult someone, it will not be directed at his boat, car or house or for that matter any of his material possessions since they tell us nothing about the character of the man. However, his words and deeds are a different matter. Oh, and "high horse?" "Confused?" No, I just live in a different world with different values and ethics than most. And, I can assure you . . . it's hardly a monastery. Good luck and good sailing . . . Rognvald--living one day at a time.
Old 30-01-2016, 10:38   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

I have actually heard two people on the dock branding my boat the word. They were unaware I was inside and I did not let them know, I just kept on listening. Who knows where the next piece of valuable information might come from? And we are in a marina where pieces of the thing are a common sight. Maybe they were talking the real thing?

In their way, their choice of vocabulary aside, they were right: we have what is an old and out of fashion boat, one that looks like a childhood toy when berthed next to shiny and much bigger, shiny new boats.

That our boat sailed well over the equivalent of two rtws while the shiny new boats never left the marina over last 10 years is not something that is visible to a casual passer by. That our boat suffered severe knockdowns then kept on going towards our landfalls while the biggest and shiny boats will lose their keels, rudders and sticks is not something one knows from just looking either.

Bad language, poor education or trying to sound smarter than one really is. We all suffer from the same sins now and then.

b.
Old 30-01-2016, 11:03   #53
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Rustic,

Would you consider it a joke if someone referred to your boat as a piece of sh_t? The inference of the remark was denigrating since any reasonable person would only interpret it as "What do you know? You own a piece of sh_t.(Hunter)" The "smiling face" at the end of the retort has no consequence in light of the comment. It actually, in my opinion, adds insult to injury. In regards to me living in a monastery . . . sorry . . . I've always enjoyed the company of women too much for that . . . but, perhaps you have spent some time with the monks and could share your ascetic experiences . . . bread, water, celibacy?, flagellation? . . . did I miss anything, Rustic? But, back to the point: if I need to insult someone, it will not be directed at his boat, car or house or for that matter any of his material possessions since they tell us nothing about the character of the man. However, his words and deeds are a different matter. Oh, and "high horse?" "Confused?" No, I just live in a different world with different values and ethics than most. And, I can assure you . . . it's hardly a monastery. Good luck and good sailing . . . Rognvald--living one day at a time.

Seems as if Rustic Charm was able to get my humor. Only thing that matters is that AKRB realizes my statement was meant to be humorous and not degrading, and I think by now that is obvious.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 31-01-2016, 08:31   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I have actually heard two people on the dock branding my boat the word. They were unaware I was inside and I did not let them know, I just kept on listening. Who knows where the next piece of valuable information might come from? And we are in a marina where pieces of the thing are a common sight. Maybe they were talking the real thing?

In their way, their choice of vocabulary aside, they were right: we have what is an old and out of fashion boat, one that looks like a childhood toy when berthed next to shiny and much bigger, shiny new boats.

That our boat sailed well over the equivalent of two rtws while the shiny new boats never left the marina over last 10 years is not something that is visible to a casual passer by. That our boat suffered severe knockdowns then kept on going towards our landfalls while the biggest and shiny boats will lose their keels, rudders and sticks is not something one knows from just looking either.

Bad language, poor education or trying to sound smarter than one really is. We all suffer from the same sins now and then.

b.
I think you make a good point here. Though certain brands are correctly known to be less rugged and more cheaply made than many other boats, many (not all) of them are still MORE than capable of sailing almost anywhere you might want to go, even around the world, IF they are owned and sailed by someone who knows what he's doing. If you compare most modern boats with the boats that someone like Adlard Coles and many others took on storms in the English Channel and North Sea with, almost of the modern "cheaply built" boats are both bigger and more ruggedly built and have technological advantages to help make things easier to sail shorthanded. Of course very, very few of us can make the claim to have anywhere the ability to sail in difficult conditions that someone like Adlard Coles had. But, since YOU know the things you've accomplished with your "piece of XXXX" boat, maybe you should take the naive words of those guys you overheard talking about your boat as a compliment and certainly not let it bother you. Just think of it as sort of a "superstition" that some people cling to, and be happy in the knowledge that you have personally debunked their silly ideas about what makes an adequate boat to go to sea in in safety.
Old 31-01-2016, 10:28   #55

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

I have overheard others refer to my boat as; junk, a piece of sh.t, and a derelict by other boaters and a dockmaster.

I like to say others opinion of me is their own business and no concern of mine. And feel the same about my boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_13971-2016-01-31 12.20.09-1484389332.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	118057  
Old 31-01-2016, 17:25   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
I have overheard others refer to my boat as; junk, a piece of sh.t, and a derelict by other boaters and a dockmaster.

I like to say others opinion of me is their own business and no concern of mine. And feel the same about my boat.
I'd personally be extremely chuffed with a Pearson 323.

The P323 ended up tied at the top of my searches for a boat, with the boat I am presently in the process of buying (not saying anything about the one I am in the process of buying in case I jinx the deal . . . and we can't have that) - each had very minor plus points vs the other, and it was entirely down to which was the best deal to show up first.

To me, anybody making comments like that about a P323, doesn't know what they are looking at.

Great boat.

As for boats of however many hulls, if it floats I tend to like it. The first 'multihull' I helped make was in the Scouts - two huge plastic bags filled with hay and lashed together with tree trunks. Each group of Scouts made one, then we had a race down the river (plus some good inter boat fights along the way). It was a blast. It was before the days of stuff like lifejackets (other than on big ships) and whining ninnies sticking their nose into everything and giving people unnecessary and annoying earache, and incredibly, nobody drowned.

PS> I might do my boat in a similar blue to that, but in green. :P

Tags
Caribbean, rib

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: