Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2016, 07:23   #31

Re: Castro dead at 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
Well, I guess Fidel is finally a "good communist".
Right up there with Mao and Stalin.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 07:54   #32

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

My one thought after hearing of Fidels passing is that, yes, Raul was in charge of the country and out of respect for Fidel, it was business as usual. I'm wondering now that Fidel is out of the picture that Raul might want to take a few more steps and normalize relations, not only with the U.S. but the rest of the world as well.
This might translate into an easier exiting the U.S. and re-entering. One thing leading to another, the Cuban people might upgrade and add to the amount of marinas there. I know certainly in Mexico this happened. In the last 30 years Mexico has probably tripled the number of Marinas and now charge Gringo prices. Where there were once beautiful tucked away anchorages have been replaced with cheap plastic docks.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 07:58   #33

Controlling the coast line is pretty expensive... and more so with more coastline and a poor nation. I can't see the reason, other than a revenue stream to limit access of cruising boats. Of course the boat's crew needs to clear in through customs/immigration... but the cruising fees need to go. It costs the jurisdiction nothing and the cruisers will benefit, how ever slightly, the economy. Marinas were of little to no interest to me when I was cruising... but provisioning access and fuel were... and of course a protected anchorage.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 08:18   #34

Boat: Currently in between

I look forward to the day, hopefully in the next 6 months, that we can sail to Cuba and experience the culture and hopefully benefit the beautiful Cuban citizens. Government needs to profit as well, who else is going to build the infrastructure needed by cruisers? But no doubt the citizens should benefit by having more cruisers as well. Cruisers create tourist oriented jobs.

Maybe I'm naive but that is my optimistic outlook.
Old 27-11-2016, 08:42   #35

Boat: Scout 30

I'm also looking forward to cruising Cuba. Seems like the most interesting destination close to Florida. I think that with the end of Venezuela as a supporter they can use all the business they can get so that should help open up the country. Hopefully the next administration understands that the stick hasn't worked & it's time for the carrot.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 08:46   #36

Boat: Wiley Mockingbird 32

According to this 2013 guide, there are 15 marinas in Cuba.

Free Cruising Guides : Free Cruising Guides
Old 27-11-2016, 09:00   #37

I think the normalization of relations with Cuba is more in danger from the appointees of our new president elect than from the Cubans. "The Donald" seems to have surrounded himself with the same old hard line advisors that got previous Presidents into stalemates with countries. Cuba is a country I would love to cruise and hopefully the normalization process wont go backwards. I also wonder how welcome we will be in Mexico if any of the campaign nonsense actually happens. We certainly do live in interesting times. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 09:01   #38

Boat: Shannon Shoalsailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
End of a very interesting era. While many on both sides, USA and Cuba, didnt like Castro or his politics, he was historically an interesting character.
In time History will weigh in on Castro. For now, this can either be a set back to relations, or an excuse for the new administration to continue to improve relations. The story of Castro, the revolution, exiles, and Cuba are notes simple as the propaganda spun by the US or Cuba.

For the Caribbean, in my experience, when trouble comes, island nations want the US dollars but the on the ground help from Cuba. What Cuba has accomplished through the embargo and the "special period" is remarkable - a testament to the Cuban people.

For cruising, many adventurous Canadian sailors ply the waters, but for a novice US pollywog, the lack of aids to navigation, and marine services is a great determent to the wander lust.

The comment "we are what we eat" is most apropos!
Bay Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 09:08   #39

Well...I don't know how strong the Helms/Burton Act is anymore with Helms dead and Burton out of politics. This act was a major road block to preventing any improvement of relations with Cuba.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 27-11-2016, 09:25   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
My one thought after hearing of Fidels passing is that, yes, Raul was in charge of the country and out of respect for Fidel, it was business as usual. I'm wondering now that Fidel is out of the picture that Raul might want to take a few more steps and normalize relations, not only with the U.S. but the rest of the world as well.
This might translate into an easier exiting the U.S. and re-entering. One thing leading to another, the Cuban people might upgrade and add to the amount of marinas there. I know certainly in Mexico this happened. In the last 30 years Mexico has probably tripled the number of Marinas and now charge Gringo prices. Where there were once beautiful tucked away anchorages have been replaced with cheap plastic docks.
Interesting take on the subject at hand....
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 10:04   #41

I was on cuba in february and in varadero is a brand new empty marina just waiting for boats from the u.s.. they are getting ready for new tourists with new infrastructure and services like the internet which is a novelty since the beginning of 2016.
iztok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 10:06   #42

Thanks for the report iztok.
Old 27-11-2016, 10:14   #43

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
It was interesting to watch the explosion of joy in Miami and the tears and wailing in Havana.

You are what you eat.

b.
B,
Do you think the Cubans have the freedom to rejoice at Fidel's death as they did in Miami??
Old 27-11-2016, 10:17   #44

I saw a number of interviews from the people in Cuba and they expressed their sadness of Castro's passing. Cuba is not exactly like North Korea. From the numbers of Canadians and the few Americans that visit Cuba by boat, reports are pretty positive.
Old 27-11-2016, 10:23   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Castro dead at 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I saw a number of interviews from the people in Cuba and they expressed their sadness of Castro's passing. Cuba is not exactly like North Korea. From the numbers of Canadians and the few Americans that visit Cuba by boat, reports are pretty positive.

Sorry. I HAVE BEEN THERE. There is the thin "tourista" veneer. Then there is the reality.

The common (wo)man is disgruntled. If you are not one of the few that owns homes or a cab you "get by".

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1480270940.866320.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	392.9 KB
ID:	137036Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1480270965.826341.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	392.0 KB
ID:	137037Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1480270994.784630.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	385.4 KB
ID:	137038

What you can't sense is the smell of raw sewage on the back streets of Havana
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote