Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2018, 09:48   #1

Boat: Outbound 44
Cargo ships runs into anchored ship

Quote:
Two cargo ships collided in the Mediterranean Sea near the island of Corsica on Sunday, causing an oil spill, coastal authorities said.

The Ulysse, operated by the Tunisian operator CTN, ran into the Cyprus-based CLS Virgina while it was anchored about 30 kilometres (20 miles) off the northern tip of the island at around 7:30 a.m. local time, the regional naval authority said in a statement.

No one was injured but "the collision caused considerable damage, with an opening several meters long in the CLS Virginia's hull," the statement said.

The spill created a trail of pollution 4 kilometers long and several hundred meters wide, heading away from Corsica to the northwest, toward the French and Italian mainland, the statement continued. .....

https://www.dw.com/en/two-ships-coll...ica/a-45792915
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:07   #2

Re: Cargo ships runs into anchored ship

Here is the AIS track of the collision.

https://gcaptain.com/watch-ais-anima...hip-collision/

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:10   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

Almost a perfect center punch.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:19   #4

Boat: Columbia 8.7

I want to know what kind of anchor the Virginia was using, AIS makes it look like it held.
CFS Klopas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:37   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Out of curiosity, why is an empty container vessel anchored 20 miles north of an island? I know that watch standing is just not fashionable now, but don't you think that a 160 meter passenger vessel would have a radar proximity alarm of some sort? Also, did anyone notice on the AIS track that the last-minute avoidance the ferry did was actually to turn to port. Whatcha thinking?

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:37   #6

The whole "we're to starboard, we have right of way" with an anchored ship reminds me of the "I'm a Battleship/I'm a lighthouse" joke.
Thalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:33   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFS Klopas View Post
I want to know what kind of anchor the Virginia was using, AIS makes it look like it held.

Yep, that was my thought as well but I was afraid mentioning "anchor" might start the usual which anchor is best discussion.

Later,
Dan
Old 11-10-2018, 12:37   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trusty View Post
Out of curiosity, why is an empty container vessel anchored 20 miles north of an island? I know that watch standing is just not fashionable now, but don't you think that a 160 meter passenger vessel would have a radar proximity alarm of some sort? Also, did anyone notice on the AIS track that the last-minute avoidance the ferry did was actually to turn to port. Whatcha thinking?

Yep. My guess is that someone woke up or came onto the bridge, misread the cargo ships lights and turned the wrong way.

Later,
Dan
Old 12-10-2018, 15:35   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Im suprised there has not been more activity on this thread. Just seems such a obvious platform for smart ass remarks.

One see index how this happens. And what does this say about our efforts to make ourselves visible to ships? Like the recent thread about the size/visability if nav lights.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 17:57   #10

Boat: Valiant 40
Cargo ships runs into anchored ship

Quote:
Out of curiosity, why is an empty container vessel anchored 20 miles north of an island?
Big cargo ships routinely anchor 30 miles or more offshore from the shipping lanes into NY harbor and the New Jersey terminals. They are waiting for their turn at the pier and perhaps staging to catch the tide. Not entirely sure why they are so far out but there are almost always a few out there.

Looking at the AIS track it seems pretty clear to me that the offending boat was asleep at the wheel. Straight as an arrow and then last minute full reverse and turn to port. Appears pretty straightforward.
Old 12-10-2018, 18:01   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Big cargo ships routinely anchor 30 miles or more offshore from the shipping lanes into NY harbor and the New Jersey terminals. They are waiting for their turn at the pier and perhaps staging to catch the tide. Not entirely sure why but there are almost always a few out there.
don't know about that venue, but in many ports there are anchoring fees which can be avoided by anchoring outside the port limits. This has also lead to the somewhat illegal practice of "drifting" with shut down engines and NUC displayed and broadcast on AIS... very common off the east coast of Oz.

Jim
Old 12-10-2018, 18:21   #12

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:
Out of curiosity, why is an empty container vessel anchored 20 miles north of an island?
Just a guess, but maybe staying out of the way of other moving ships in a shipping lane or near a port.
Quote:
Also, did anyone notice on the AIS track that the last-minute avoidance the ferry did was actually to turn to port. Whatcha thinking?
Helm probably thought the cargo ship was moving, and thus turning to port would have given him the best chance to pass behind the the stern. if cargo ship WAS moving and he turned to starboard they would have collided. I'm not going to second guess the reaction to turn port. this accident was caused by negligence, not a bad decision on deciding which direction to rotate a steering wheel. In the words of Ricky Ricardo, someone got some 'splainin to do.
introverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 19:57   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Sure looks like Otto-pilot in control and nobody on watch.
Attached Images

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 09:59   #14

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Also, did anyone notice on the AIS track that the last-minute avoidance the ferry did was actually to turn to port. Whatcha thinking?
Yes I noticed. I was already following this on gcaptian and other sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by introverted View Post
Helm probably thought the cargo ship was moving, and thus turning to port would have given him the best chance to pass behind the the stern. if cargo ship WAS moving and he turned to starboard they would have collided. I'm not going to second guess the reaction to turn port.
The golden rule in this type of situation is (almost) never, never, turn to Port. Never.

Because if the other vessel was as you say 'moving' (underway and making way) then it is expected that they should fulfill their obligations and turn to their starboard and pass clear astern of you. If you turn to Port you potentially only make things worse in this case.

The options are (generally) slow down, stop, turn to starboard (even making a full 180 or 360 deg turn if necessary).

In case of the collision still be unavoidable, turning to starboard (hopefully) also reduces the angle and closing speed of the collision too if the other vessel fails to take any action.

At least this is the idea anyway.

In this particular case I am totally gobsmacked. There doesn't appear to be any mitigating circumstances, and as mentioned earlier analysis of the AIS track makes it clear that the ferry only realised the situation at the very last moment.

So regardless of 'fault' that is some shockingly bad watchkeeping.

Oh, and PS: https://gcaptain.com/oil-washes-asho...hip-collision/
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 10:12   #15

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Final Update:

Human Error ID’d in Mediterranean Ro-Ro’s Collision with Containership

https://gcaptain.com/human-error-idd...containership/
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor