Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 03:33   #1

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS
Captain's Log, April 30, 2014 from the Rebel Heart Blog

I picked this up on Twitter this morning. For those who don't follow Twitter, here is the text:

captain's log, april 30, 2014

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 at 10:13
If you're writing cathartically or just to document, you don't really need a cohesive point. But whether or not there's an answer to "what is the author trying to say?" can be the difference between good writing and rambling rhetoric.

I've struggled a lot trying to make sense of the loss of our dream, our home, and our way of life. Short of a press statement issued in the throws of a media circus, I honestly haven't known what I wanted to say and in large part I still don't.

I know there are people, many people, who have suffered far worse fates than my own family has. Roughly $20,000 dollars was unsolicitedly raised for us. To put that in context, more than 40% of American workers make less than that amount annually.

My parents used to remind me of the old saying, "I felt sorry for myself because I had no shoes until I met the man who had no feet." Not trying to equivocate on it, but where does that logic end? "I felt sorry for myself because I had no feet until I met the man who had no legs?" Maybe no one in a bad breakup should feel sad because hey, they could have gotten their legs chopped off too, so turn that frown upside down.

It's helpful to put our loss into perspective, but I'm trying to stop short of engaging in Oppression Olympics where we're only allowed to feel bad if we have the trophy awarded for Greatest Loss Suffered Ever.

One of the hardest things for me personally is that we've been out of mainstream American culture for roughly two years now, living in an adventure. Everything we did was generally difficult but incredibly rewarding. Our adventurous sailing friends are literally going wherever the wind blows at this very moment, and I'm sitting on my laptop imagining our home of eight years sitting 6,000 feet under the water.

My child's Buzz Lightyear doll, if it floats, is probably banging against the overhead in the cabin, forever unable to escape and there it will remain for hundreds or thousands of years, gently bobbing in the near current-less waters of the deep Pacific basin. These images, and others too painful to bring to the forefront of my mind, will be racing around my head for some time I imagine. I actually try to slowly remember more and more of the ordeal, and of our home sitting on the bottom of the sea, as a way of revisiting the memory and making it less traumatic.

I of course was the one who cut the hoses myself, sinking Rebel Heart, so metaphorically and literally, I sank our dream, watching water lap over the floor boards as I said my final goodbyes to a ship that had protected us, taken care of us, and allowed us to see thousands of miles of ocean and coastlines.

Moreover, Rebel Heart allowed us to see ourselves for who we were. We learned what we really could accomplish. We learned that chasing down dreams and doing the impossible is actually quite possible, and not just for other people. We learned that we could be so much more than we thought.

So to Rebel Heart, our beloved boat resting, I hope peacefully, at the bottom of the sea, I want you to know that you will always be a member of our family and that we continue to draw lessons from you. Your impact on our lives and the time we had with you has forged bonds that the years will never be able to undo.

Even now you allow us to see the generosity and decency of people, who from all over the globe have offered us support and kindness in whatever shapes they can.

Thank you, Rebel Heart.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply
Old 01-05-2014, 03:44   #2

Re: captain's log, april 30, 2014 from the Rebel Heart Blog

I understood what the author was trying to say--and I think he said it very well.

I cannot imagine how traumatic the entire event has been for them ...

And I feel for the family's multiple losses.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:53   #3

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
I of course was the one who cut the hoses myself, sinking Rebel Heart, so metaphorically and literally, I sank our dream, watching water lap over the floor boards as I said my final goodbyes.

Oh man... I would buy him a beer anytime.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:08   #4

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

I am incredibly touched by the whole Rebel Heart/Charlotte life thus far as shared online and hope they find peace in their next journey. And I'm wishing for it. That couple, and their darlings enjoyed a life many imagine but few have the fearlessness to pursue. I hope that soon they have a new goal (and the selfish part of me hopes it's afloat again)

As to their youngest, bless her heart... It's good to know that even in the deep blue, countries will pull together and save a soul. I wonder what lies ahead for her as well as her older sister... those girls were and are blessed to know that they are treasured beyond "worldly possessions"

There is no greater gift a parent can give their child. Well, love and an education too are good things.

May God bless them all.
Old 01-05-2014, 15:12   #5

I thought that they said the money raised was going to charity ?
It's a pity that their decision making skills didn't match their literary skills.
bazzer is offline   Reply
Old 01-05-2014, 15:17   #6

Quote:
I thought that they said the money raised was going to charity ?
I never heard that. I know after rescue they asked that any donations be to the 129th's charity, but not that the money had gone to any other charity.
Old 01-05-2014, 15:41   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: captain's log, april 30, 2014 from the Rebel Heart Blog

Thanks for sharing it Prarie Chicken...

Don't try and makes sense of it Eric.. there is none.. **** just happens and searching for reasons and meanings is a waste of valuable time and energy..
Refocus and decide to continue 'The Dream' or seek a new path.. your not the first to have lost their all at sea.. and you'll certainly not be the last.. its not what you've done that makes the man..
It'll be what you do from now on..
Respect

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply
Old 01-05-2014, 15:41   #8

Oh my god, I think this going to be another very long thread.

I meet these guys and there children several times over a period of several weeks in La Paz. It was obvious to me that they should not be embarking on such a hazardous trip with two young children
Next, both of they children had been exposed to measles prior to leaving La Paz. Again who would leave with a sick recovering baby?

Eric wrote he would tell what happened and why the boat was in distress and taking on water. He also wrote the money would go to charity, it now reads that they are going to bank it. I'm interested in how two young people bank rolled their trip anyway.

Oh, god bless buzz light year.

Really a special thanks to those who undertook the rescue mission and put their own lives at risk. Jumping from a aircraft moving at over 100miles per hour is something that James Bond and Tom Cruise does for a living did Eric really have to call in for a rescue because they where in danger or because they had bitten off more than they could chew?
bazzer is offline   Reply
Old 01-05-2014, 15:43   #9

Boat: PETERSON 44

The way I read it was they received the generous donations.
Quote"While we are thankful for the unsolicited generosity we have received and been offered, we encourage you to consider donating to That Others May live". Funny how we hear things.
Sounds like they are still dealing with the loss. Which after years of planning and living aboard is understandable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sabray is offline   Reply
Old 01-05-2014, 15:50   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: captain's log, april 30, 2014 from the Rebel Heart Blog

Who cares now.. its done and dusted and beating on them will not change a thing.. he made his choices and scuttled the boat.. something that is going to affect his life for a long time and in many ways..
And as for folks jumping outa planes and parachuting down.. what's the big deal.. if the Queen of England could do it to open the London Olympics..
I'm damn sure it was no big deal to some fit young dudes 1/3rd her age or less..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply
Old 01-05-2014, 16:14   #11
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Chicken View Post
One of the hardest things for me personally is that we've been out of mainstream American culture for roughly two years now, living in an adventure. Everything we did was generally difficult but incredibly rewarding. Our adventurous sailing friends are literally going wherever the wind blows at this very moment, and I'm sitting on my laptop imagining our home of eight years sitting 6,000 feet under the water.
Thank you, Rebel Heart.
The benefit of this aspect alone can never be lost and will always remain for the rest of your life Eric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Thanks for sharing it Prarie Chicken...

Don't try and makes sense of it Eric.. there is none.. **** just happens and searching for reasons and meanings is a waste of valuable time and energy..
Refocus and decide to continue 'The Dream' or seek a new path.. your not the first to have lost their all at sea.. and you'll certainly not be the last.. its not what you've done that makes the man..
It'll be what you do from now on..
Respect
+1 (and more).
In a nutshell
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply
Old 01-05-2014, 16:38   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Eric, et al,

Just know we're wishing you and Charlotte speedy healing. We hope you come back here soon.

I rather suspect that for a while you'll be pretty hard on yourself, but as Boatie says, "it's finished." Do your grieving, and move on. Ignore the judgmental folks who probably don't even understand how their negative comments may affect you. Don't give them the ability to hurt you, but stay centered on your new life plans as they emerge.

S**t happens.....You wrote that you were living an adventure, and in a sense you were, but you were also just living life, and some decisions didn't work out as you hoped. This happens to all of us. Nobody promised us a rose garden, and I think that is one of the hardest lessons of all in life, to accept that, and keep on doing the best we can, making decisions that may or may not work out, we never know for sure. Manifesting your positive attitude towards life is going to help.

Chins up, guys.

Wishing you all the best,

Ann
Old 01-05-2014, 16:47   #13

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

For me, adventure conjures up images of the unplanned, more so than exotic places. Nothing is more adventurous than what your family is going through right now.

Especially with these durn Santa Anna winds this week
Greenhand is offline   Reply
Old 01-05-2014, 17:33   #14
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

My only criticism is they should not dwell on the past. Let it go. It's not healthy. It will eat them alive.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply
Old 01-05-2014, 18:41   #15

Boat: PETERSON 44

I hope they post on cf a breakdown of what happened. Rebel was active posting on this site prior to departure. If it all went Ass over tea kettle his point of view would be real for others. Not ready to critique the adventure but hope they will share their experience.
Please leave out the we had sex 3 days out. Slocum knew enough to leave out his adventures on those points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sabray is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
captain