Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 19:01   #16

Boat: Soverel 30
Re: captain's log, april 30, 2014 from the Rebel Heart Blog

But many others have included it in their books. The Pardeys and Herb Payson off the top of my head. And sorry but cruising the south seas is a romantic notion but do perhaps admit when its practically live play by play online it may seem a bit tacky to report the sex. But it is real. This aint Ricky and Lucy in separate beds.

Sent from my HUAWEI-M931 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
soverel is offline   Reply
Old 01-05-2014, 19:05   #17

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Either Bazzer can't read or I can't read.
I understood the boat was not sinking or in danger but was sunk because it was being abandoned.

Donations; I think it would be churlish to reject donations given for a purpose. The nice thing is that Eric & Charlotte acknowledge they were not as needy as some and encouraged potential donors to give to other causes.

The future; I sincerely hope Rebel Heart II is soon underway with the salvaged wheel being caressed by the sailors hands..

Fairwinds & Godspeed E&C We wait for you in NZ.
DumnMad is offline   Reply
Old 01-05-2014, 19:20   #18
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Who cares now..

I care.

No one learns anything if he stays mum.

You was vibrant in this forum, including having a strong opinion as to whats right and wrong. And now he just snivels his way out of his responsibility to educate others! Get a grip Phil! Eric meeds to front up the facts. You would... And have done, without wondering if you would be criticised or not.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply
Old 01-05-2014, 19:58   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Mark... If you have ever lost a ship....Saved or Been Saved.... there is a certain grieving / self analysis/self condemnation process that takes time to balance out.

The mechanics of a survival event is not as important as making sure the survivors heal and move ahead with our communities support.
Pelagic is offline   Reply
Old 01-05-2014, 20:48   #20

Boat: PETERSON 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Mark... If you have ever lost a ship....Saved or Been Saved.... there is a certain grieving / self analysis/self condemnation process that takes time to balance out.

The mechanics of a survival event is not as important as making sure the survivors heal and move ahead with our communities support.

Mark said he cared. Boatman said who cares. Both in context valid. Boatman was lost at sea with shredded sails, no electronics, a broken backstay, no engines or beer. CF rallied and was ready to create a save boatman fund. Thankfully he was saved by a local boat that made out real well.Boatman not so well. He could have gotten 20g in donations if he played it better.
Mark cares because he thinks if Eric was real he would just give a Methodical breakdown of what happened. Mark sails a boat that will fall apart at any moment. He needs to be cool and likable so we will donate to the save mark fund when his boat falls apart. It's like a real life hunger games.
Of course when I screw up I am willing to accept your donations. I will not be blogging to you when I get screwed. My wife will be glad to tell you how often I have screwed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sabray is offline   Reply
Old 01-05-2014, 23:25   #21
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I think Boatman would disagree about his need to be "Saved" (at least as far as that delivery )

Agree this virtual seamanship can be something like The Hunger Games or more like "Wag the Dog"

We often create drama where none exists
Pelagic is offline   Reply
Old 02-05-2014, 00:51   #22

Boat: Irwin 43

The 7 steps of grief after a boat owner has to sink his boat......

- Shock or Disbelief
- Denial
- Anger
- Bargaining
- Guilt
- Depression
- Acceptance and Hope

The end of a relationship with a boat is like a bereavement. In addition to the loss of the boat, a person may have to contend with changes in his/her social life, find a new place to live, adjust to living on the land, take care of practical arrangements and finances, contend with raising children if there are children involved, deal with feelings of rejection and abandonment, deal with feelings of inadequacy, and somehow find a way to cope with day to day living.
TugTubPaul is offline   Reply
Old 02-05-2014, 01:28   #23

Come on folks, I agree that this has been a rough patch for this family and sinking your own boat is a tough call but life is about choices and Eric and his family made choices. Yes there are feelings of loss and beating up on ones self but lets not make it to be more than it really is. Most people on this earth have far less than that family and have to work their tail off just to survive another day so lets at least keep it in perspective. They are home safe and sound and have choices because they have money in their jeans, not so bad considering.
robert sailor is offline   Reply
Old 02-05-2014, 02:21   #24
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: captain's log, april 30, 2014 from the Rebel Heart Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Mark said he cared. Boatman said who cares. Both in context valid. Boatman was lost at sea
Correction... knew exactly where I was at all times
with shredded sails,
No.. just a failed 2nd reef point
no electronics,
Only after sunset..
a broken backstay,
CF speculation often goes over the top..
no engines or beer.
But I did have rum...
CF rallied and was ready to create a save boatman fund. Thankfully he was saved by a local boat that made out real well.
No comment..
Boatman not so well. He could have gotten 20g in donations if he played it better.
Now he tells me...
Mark cares because he thinks if Eric was real he would just give a Methodical breakdown of what happened. Mark sails a boat that will fall apart at any moment. He needs to be cool and likable so we will donate to the save mark fund when his boat falls apart. It's like a real life hunger games.
Of course when I screw up I am willing to accept your donations. I will not be blogging to you when I get screwed. My wife will be glad to tell you how often I have screwed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mark.. I'm happy to tell my tales of survival and derring do.. but not everyones into looking stooped...
Also.. I've read enough between the lines to have a general idea of what happened.. there's nothing here for me to learn from as I'll never be in Eric's situation..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply
Old 02-05-2014, 02:25   #25

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
... We often create drama where none exists

Yep. I think we all have all the facts already.

Leaving with the kids not 100% is debatable and has been. The telling mistake, and a common one at that, was sailing without a happy, willing partner.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply
Old 02-05-2014, 02:59   #26

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Come on folks, I agree that this has been a rough patch for this family and sinking your own boat is a tough call but life is about choices and Eric and his family made choices. Yes there are feelings of loss and beating up on ones self but lets not make it to be more than it really is. Most people on this earth have far less than that family and have to work their tail off just to survive another day so lets at least keep it in perspective. They are home safe and sound and have choices because they have money in their jeans, not so bad considering.
Rough patch? Not make it more than it really is? No, let's recognize it for what it was--and regardless of whether Eric & family made the choices that put them on the sea, they have suffered a traumatic experience & a tragic loss. We will hear from Rebel Heart again I am sure, but they are working their way thru those seven steps TubTub mentioned earlier. I, for one at least, am prepared to wait.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply
Old 02-05-2014, 04:01   #27

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Mark.. I'm happy to tell my tales of survival and derring do.. but not everyones into looking stooped...
Also.. I've read enough between the lines to have a general idea of what happened.. there's nothing here for me to learn from as I'll never be in Eric's situation..
Lol. I thought sabray was talking about an entirely different trip and thread that I was going to have to search for and read.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:12   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post
Lol. I thought sabray was talking about an entirely different trip and thread that I was going to have to search for and read.
CF's like that.. Chinese whispers..
But I'd not quit it for all the tea in India..

Right.. time for another coffee..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply
Old 02-05-2014, 04:38   #29

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post
Ditto! One of the folks on here has a signature line that reads something like "everyone has a right to their own opinion but not to their own facts."

Plus I'm certain Mark didn't miss Sabray's swat at his bendy boat. Newer readers may not know that it was Mark that got his boat into port (solo) with a broken forestay from the MIDDLE OF THE ATLANTIC OCEAN or somewhere east of Suez, as the saying goes.

I know we have many capable sailors among our ranks and it's quite evident we gots us a few kooks too.

I'm still chuckling at the poster who thought Boaty's last delivery was "epic."

Maybe ... if you're sailing an armchair in Iowa.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply
Old 02-05-2014, 05:12   #30
CLOD

Boat: none

[QUOTE=sabray;1531485
Mark sails a boat that will fall apart at any moment. He needs to be cool and likable so we will donate to the save mark fund when his boat falls apart. It's like a real life hunger games.
[/QUOTE]

seriously missing some smiley faces to lighten the post, at least I hope it was an oversight

Tags
captain