Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2014, 00:10   #271
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 91
Re: Captain's Log, April 30, 2014 from the Rebel Heart Blog

Quote:
assessment of would'a, should'a, could'a
This is the reason for most threads on forums.
__________________

__________________
Scottuk is offline   Reply
Old 16-06-2014, 02:29   #272
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: Captain's Log, April 30, 2014 from the Rebel Heart Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottuk View Post
This is the reason for most threads on forums.
If a person only read this thread and "I Think I Saw MH370", that might be true but this forum has tons of stuff to offer the sailor. Most people that flood these two aforementioned threads seem to be boatless drama queens with a zeal for self-importance. True, as per CF's guidelines, they have a right to be here but for me add little to the enhancement of the forum in general.
Having hung out with Eric while in Mx a few times, I can say he is a pretty level-headed guy and it shows with his levelheadedness with responses given throughout the thread. As for the other thread I mentioned, it seems to have really drawn out the conspiracy theorist.
__________________

__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply
Old 16-06-2014, 03:49   #273
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 91
Re: Captain's Log, April 30, 2014 from the Rebel Heart Blog

Quote:
Most people that flood these two aforementioned threads seem to be boatless drama queens with a zeal for self-importance.
If a point is salient then it does not matter where it originates. There are many questions still arising from this event that are unanswered and this leads to some speculation. I don't mind the digressions since they can be enlightening in their own right though not related.

P.S. Nice boat by the way
__________________
Scottuk is offline   Reply
Old 16-06-2014, 17:28   #274
Registered User
 
Blue Crab's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hurricane Highway
Boat: Cal 29
Posts: 3,882
pirate Re: Captain's Log, April 30, 2014 from the Rebel Heart Blog

I think a GFY is a Go Fluff Yerself. Or possibly G. Francis Yerschoff.
__________________
Blue Crab is offline   Reply
Old 16-06-2014, 18:00   #275
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,210
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Captain's Log, April 30, 2014 from the Rebel Heart Blog

__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply
Old 17-06-2014, 09:17   #276
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sailing the Caribbean
Boat: Switch 51
Posts: 1,498
Re: Captain's Log, April 30, 2014 from the Rebel Heart Blog

First time using the ignore button. Let's see how it goes.
__________________
SVNeko is offline   Reply
Old 17-06-2014, 09:21   #277
Registered User
 
Prairie Chicken's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada or Spain
Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS
Posts: 1,116
Images: 1
Re: Captain's Log, April 30, 2014 from the Rebel Heart Blog

My take-away is to never, ever post a public blog. Regardless of what you say, someone will use it against you to suit their own purposes.
__________________
Prairie Chicken
><((((>`..`..`...><((((>.
`..`..`...><((((>`..`..` ...><((((>
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply
Old 17-06-2014, 09:45   #278
Registered User

Join Date: May 2014
Location: DC
Boat: other people's boats
Posts: 71
Re: Captain's Log, April 30, 2014 from the Rebel Heart Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Chicken View Post
My take-away is to never, ever post a public blog. Regardless of what you say, someone will use it against you to suit their own purposes.
+1000000. And if you do, be prepared to back it up.
__________________
who_cares is offline   Reply
Old 17-06-2014, 09:47   #279
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,440
Re: Captain's Log, April 30, 2014 from the Rebel Heart Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Chicken View Post
My take-away is to never, ever post a public blog. Regardless of what you say, someone will use it against you to suit their own purposes.
You needed the Rebel Heart incident to figure that out?

By the same token, though, they were able to raise at least $18K, largely as a result of their blog and comments here.

So I guess public blogs are a two-edged sword.

I learned a lot more than that, mostly because they posted as much as they did about their experience in their public blog.
__________________
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply
Old 18-06-2014, 12:53   #280
Registered User
 
S/V Alchemy's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Toronto
Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Posts: 4,576
Re: Captain's Log, April 30, 2014 from the Rebel Heart Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
You needed the Rebel Heart incident to figure that out?

By the same token, though, they were able to raise at least $18K, largely as a result of their blog and comments here.

So I guess public blogs are a two-edged sword.

I learned a lot more than that, mostly because they posted as much as they did about their experience in their public blog.
I also read some clarifications and amplifications directly from Eric that made me comprehend the number of problems they faced, and consequently, the actions they took. I'm not sure if I would've responded in the same fashion, but that doesn't mean I would have had a better conclusion. Or a more judicious one.
__________________
Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply
Old 18-06-2014, 13:43   #281
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,440
Re: Captain's Log, April 30, 2014 from the Rebel Heart Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I also read some clarifications and amplifications directly from Eric that made me comprehend the number of problems they faced, and consequently, the actions they took. I'm not sure if I would've responded in the same fashion, but that doesn't mean I would have had a better conclusion. Or a more judicious one.
My comment was only referring to their blogs, to point out that while they got some criticism because of them, they also serve to help other cruisers understand some of the difficulties of cruising across the Pacific. They also got some donations as a direct result, from people who sympathized with their situation.
__________________
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply
Old 19-06-2014, 12:15   #282
Registered User
 
S/V Alchemy's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Toronto
Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Posts: 4,576
Re: Captain's Log, April 30, 2014 from the Rebel Heart Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
My comment was only referring to their blogs, to point out that while they got some criticism because of them, they also serve to help other cruisers understand some of the difficulties of cruising across the Pacific. They also got some donations as a direct result, from people who sympathized with their situation.
I didn't get that deeply into the blogs, but rather into the specifics of their rescue and the cascade of issues that led to the decision to hit the big red button. I sympathize for any sailing family that has to make such a hard call, but at the same time, there's always something to learn from the choices made or not made in the lead up to that hard call. Frankly, the initial reportage on this (not to mention the often-cranky forum chatter) didn't evoke sympathy so much as bafflement. The radio interview dispelled that a bit, and Eric's specific replies went even further. Any one or two of those issues might have kept them aboard, but clustered as they were with a mystery baby illness...as I said, a hard call.
__________________
Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply
Old 19-06-2014, 13:57   #283
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 91
Re: Captain's Log, April 30, 2014 from the Rebel Heart Blog

Quote:
Any one or two of those issues might have kept them aboard, but clustered as they were with a mystery baby illness...as I said, a hard call.
The sole any only reason, from what RH has stated, was the illness of the child so these other problems had no relevance. However, the reason for the rescue should not detract from the question of whether they should have departed in the first place.
__________________
Scottuk is offline   Reply
Old 20-06-2014, 12:06   #284
Registered User
 
S/V Alchemy's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Toronto
Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Posts: 4,576
Re: Captain's Log, April 30, 2014 from the Rebel Heart Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottuk View Post
The sole any only reason, from what RH has stated, was the illness of the child so these other problems had no relevance. However, the reason for the rescue should not detract from the question of whether they should have departed in the first place.
I think they had relevance in terms of the feasibility of evacuating just the mum and kids, leaving Eric to try to round about back to Mexico or to plow on to Hawaii or wherever was 2,000 NM ahead. The boat's problems had to be a decision not just to call for rescue, but to opt for abandonment and cutting the hoses.

Whether they should have departed for the first place I am not qualified to speculate upon, as I didn't do the work that got me to the point of "we're ready to cast off". Clearly, one is never at 100%, nor would you wish to be, as making minor repairs underway breaks up the day once off soundings, but I suspect from what Eric has said that "minor" was turning "major" pretty quickly. Enough to sink the boat? Maybe not. Enough to kill a single-hander or to trigger a second rescue (and I'm not convinced the CG would even allow Eric to stay aboard...has that even been mentioned?)...I don't know. And, frankly, hope never personally to learn.
__________________
Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply
Old 20-06-2014, 12:35   #285
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 91
Re: Captain's Log, April 30, 2014 from the Rebel Heart Blog

I'm just going by what RH had stated. Not sure why you have decided the decision to go does not merit consideration since the first paragraph of your post is speculative.
__________________

__________________
Scottuk is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
captain

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Old Log will be moved to opencpn.log.log PHD1026 OpenCPN 26 19-05-2015 14:01



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:03.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.