Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-12-2006, 04:27   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Well said cchesley, and shellback.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2006, 23:18   #17

Rogue waves revealed Boat/US Magazine - Find Articles
Is a short article that dicusses rogue waves in the atlantic and mentions another sail training ship, the Marques which was sunk off bermuda in 1984 en route to halifax. I will never forget the story as told to me by one of the surviving crew who had taken a new position on the Ciudad d'Inca. There was a lot of discussion at the time regarding the stability of the ship and the wisdom of having installed transom windows. The fellow I met in rochester that summer was below when it happened and said that he felt the wave and knew that it was huge, and moments later was wading to the hatch. He figured that the boat was under in a minute or less. Indeed these are the risks we take. (The Marques had been afloat at that point for 7 years with that rig and for 77 in total)

Old 25-12-2006, 05:32   #18
Moderator Emeritus

On Friday, December 8, the Barque Picton Castle encountered gale force conditions while on passage from her homeport of Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, to the West Indies. At approximately 2200, the ship's decks were overwhelmed by an unusually large wave and crew member Laura Gainey of Montreal, Canada, was swept overboard.
Home: Barque Picton Castle

ATribute to Laura Gainey
Tribute to Laura: Barque Picton Castle

from the Captain’s Log: Thursday, December 7th, 2006
“... The weather is just starting to get warmer as we have entered the Gulf Stream. Slowly people are taking off layers of clothing, but it’s not quite shorts and tee-shirt weather yet. Just now the 8–12 watch has the deck, under the direction of lead seaman Laura Gainey. Kelly has lookout while Fred is on helm. The rest of the watch is coiling down lines after we braced the yards sharp on a starboard tack at the change of the watch. We’re moving along at about 7 knots under lower tops’ls, inner jib, and fore topmast stays’l, heading south to warmer weather...”

Old 04-01-2007, 21:28   #19

I boarded the Picton Castle In Saginaw on its Great Lakes tour, and may well have spoken to Laura. It seems to me that the Picton Castle would be a very difficult ship to be swept off of, as the rails were, if i correctly recall, at waist level and it would seem that a rather large wave would be required to actually knock a person overboard. I send my condolences to the family and crew.
Old 31-10-2008, 01:10   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Transport Safety Board Report
Montreal Canadiens general manager Bob Gainey has praised the findings of a Transportation Safety Board investigation into a tall ship accident that killed his 25-year-old daughter.

"Everyone in the sail training industry should be reading closely, so they can apply the lessons learned at the cost of a life," Gainey said Thursday.

The TSB report identifies seven areas as contributing factors related to Gainey being swept away, including:

* The decision to sail despite the long-term forecasts of an adverse weather system.
* Insufficient communication between the officers and crew.
* Fatigue and loss of alertness among those onboard.
* Safety nets not being rigged in some areas of the ship.
* Safety harnesses not being worn.

Goto the full TSB report:
http://www.tsb.gc.ca/en/reports//mar...4/m06f0024.pdf

Old 31-10-2008, 12:38   #21

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Great follow up info GordMay.... thanks
Old 04-11-2008, 13:30   #22

Boat: Westsail 32
CBC is airing an interview this week. From cbc.ca -

Wednesday, November 5 at 9 pm on CBC-TV
OVERBOARD
"Last week, the National Transportation Safety Board released its long-awaited report on the death at sea of Laura Gainey. The findings of the report confirm what the fifth estate first documented a year ago. The fifth estate's Gillian Findlay investigated the circumstances of Laura's death off the tall ship Picton Castle and told the story of a ship that had sailed too late in the season, was undermanned and did not follow basic safety rules. Now, Laura's father, Montreal Canadiens great Bob Gainey, responds to the NTSB report's findings in an exclusive television interview on the fifth estate."

Tags
rogue wave

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: