Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2010, 02:20   #31

Boat: looking
Thanks for the link to Milan's site, Gord. I just went through all of the albums and enjoyed the photos immensely. Then, I had to remind my self that this guy was just shot. Sad, very sad.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:25   #32

Boat: Hunter 30', 1989
This is very saddening.

My wife, who I try to keep away from these stories as she is already apprehensive enough, brought this to my attention.

We looked through Milan's blog and thought what a shame.

On the other hand, we had a friend pass away last week. He had an aneurism brought on by shoveling snow off his driveway. If Milan had stayed home he would not have enjoyed the adventure that he did - as evidenced by his beautiful photographs - and may have succumbed to a less dramatic, but equally fatal event.

My condolences to his daughter, his family and his friends, of which he appears to have many.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:31   #33

Boat: grampian 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcook View Post
I wonder what it is about tropical climates that seem to bring out the criminals... I mean you don't hear about hijackings and murders on yachts in Norway, Canada, Japan... but look at Indonesia, Somilia, Venezula, Honduras... draw a line... this incident is very sad indeed... not that rich of a boat either... poor daughter...
Many reasons. Poverty, desperation, inadequate policing and weak ineffective governments. The rule of law is not universal.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:12   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
just attended a wake yesterday. Guy was shot by a deranged neighbor. Stuff can happen anywhere. A shame it happened to him and his daughter. RIP.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:09   #35

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
My advise for anyone who finds themselves in a similar situation. NEVER resist, put you hands up and do what they ask, no one wants a dead hero, they'd rather have you alive.

Another tip is to spread out your valuables. Don't keep all your cards/cash in one place. Then, if you are boarded, you'll still loose something but you won't be left pennyless. A safe is a good idea to keep them safe when away from the boat but if youve got a gun to your head, you're going to open it!

On a similar line, if you have a PC or laptop on board, keep a backup of your personal files, programs, photos, etc on a seperate drive or a usb memory stick and keep it hidden. Then, i'f you're boat is robbed then at least the hardware can be replaced.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:26   #36
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"NEVER resist, put you hands up and do what they ask, no one wants a dead hero, they'd rather have you alive."
That is the official line most PD's put out as well. OTOH there are a number of contrarians who will point out that because the official line is "roll over easy and be a victim" you are only encouraging the criminals and making life worse, in a downhill spiral.
If the criminals know, for a certainty, that some of them will be maimed and others will be dead, most of them tend to be less willing to attack in the first place.
Roll over and submit? Ahuh, and then what happens to the daughter?

The first English militias were in fact started--mandated by the Crown--because of this. The Crown ordered that if any crime were committed in any town or village, and the villagers did not take up arms to pursue the criminal in the name of the king, that THEY would be responsible to recompense the victim and answer to the King.

Those who do not defend civilized society, are not just victims, they are the enemy among us.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:32   #37

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
I couldn't aggree more but i'd hate to read another story like this where a someone was killed because they wouldn't 'roll over and submit'. Cash, laptops, etc can be replaced. A person cannot.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:40   #38

Boat: 1998 PDQ 36 Capella Classic
Speaking as someone who as travel extensively in Honduras, including around Tela... The northern (especially the northwestern) coast of Honduras is not someplace you really want to be alone and an easy target. These areas of Honduras are thick with gangs and criminals. It gets better on the coast by the time you get down to La Ceiba, but I still don't go down by the coast there unless I'm with a group of people.

Utila on the other hand is a great place and I have never had any problem being alone wondering around. I have never even felt threatened.

Roatan is pretty much the same way too, except for the area around Coxen Hole.

This is truly a sad story and another mark against all of the good people in Honduras.

Mike
Old 05-12-2010, 11:48   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
... OTOH there are a number of contrarians who will point out that because the official line is "roll over easy and be a victim" you are only encouraging the criminals and making life worse, in a downhill spiral.
If the criminals know, for a certainty, that some of them will be maimed and others will be dead, most of them tend to be less willing to attack in the first place ...
This presupposes a rational and prudent criminal; a not altogether common being.
On the other, other hand; believing he’s likely to encounter vigorous (& perhaps armed) resistance, the determined criminal might just opt for overwhelming pre-emptive violence against his victims. So begins an "arms race", in which those most disposed to indiscriminate violence “win”.

I don’t think it’s quite as simple as “never resist” or “always resist” (a false dichotomy).

Old 05-12-2010, 11:58   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
we have solid evidence for self defence right in front of us in this case. the daughter pulled out a flare gun and was left alone. If anything, she would have been a better & easier target then the father, but armed resistance proved very successful in her defence & salvation. good for her
Old 05-12-2010, 12:54   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
we have solid evidence for self defence right in front of us in this case. the daughter pulled out a flare gun and was left alone ...
It doesn't seem to be quite that clear, to me.

“... "I'm told she set off a flare and scared the pirates off."

A spokesman for the Honduran Security Ministry said Saturday that Milan was shot because he apparently resisted a robbery ...”

Here ➥ Print Story - canada.com network

Old 05-12-2010, 13:39   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
If the criminals know, for a certainty, that some of them will be maimed and others will be dead, most of them tend to be less willing to attack in the first place.
Capital punishment certainly has been proven to not to be a deterrent in the USA. I very much doubt it matters any more in countries where poverty and desperation are even more wide spread.

Isn't it great how a thread on the death of a cruiser always devolves into a discussion of weapons on board? Nobody's going to be able to make a post that changes anyone's beliefs on this so we don't stop using threads on tragedies to bolster our arguments? Give it a rest or confine it to the gun control threads.
Old 05-12-2010, 14:17   #43
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob2 View Post
Give it a rest or confine it to the gun control threads.
+1

So far we "know" the survivor was a 13 yo girl in her early 20's who swam overboard to escape whilst also waiting onboard and being missing..........
Old 05-12-2010, 14:36   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
So far we "know" the survivor was a 13 yo girl in her early 20's who swam overboard to escape whilst also waiting onboard and being missing..........
One presumes that the "RollEyes" is intended to intimate that the initial reports, were wrong - Milan Egrmajer's daughter, Myda, is actually 24years old, and remained aboard 'till rescued.
Why not just say what you mean?

Old 05-12-2010, 14:47   #45

Boat: '70 Soverel 33 (v.1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Why not just say what you mean?
(I thought he did...)
(with humor as a form of diplomacy to boot)
Closed Thread