Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2011, 14:44   #211
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Bullying on the Waterway ( Sunset Lake , Miami Beach)

Canuck, if you follow the Miami-Dade or Broward newspapers (both award winners and not supermarket rags) you'd notice that corruption, appearance of improprieties, bribes, recalls from office, and the occassional jail time are all pretty much weekly events in that corner of the world. Sadly not new or unique to that corner, either.

In general, if a dispatcher calls for units to respond, someone has to go out. So cops might "have to" go out even if they can't understand what the offense might be. The dispatchers will have some discretion--but again, if someone says "Put out a call" they don't get the option of saying "a call for what?". So there are at least 3 levels where a call could be ordered from, and all the underlings would have to respond, whether they agree or not.

Now Florida also is, oddly enough, a very progressive "sunshine law" state. Practically every public contact with the governments, every record, every email, is required to be made available for public access and inspection and purchase. It wouldn't surprise me if a cop said "Mr. X. complained" because that complaint WILL be in the open public records anyway.

"Harassment" cases require trials, require people to testify, require "he said she said" and cen become long expensive matters. So it isn't so easy to say "Mr. X. is a nut job, let's shut him down."

OTOH the Gold Coast of Florida IS a place where police have arrested folks for being pests. Like the woman who called 911 three times to complain about her cheeseburger at a burger place.

Which brings up something else: If you've never read Carl Hiaisen's books, GET SOME. He's an award-winning long time serious journalist with the Miami Herald, but if you read his novels you'll think "the man is on drugs, this stuff is way beyond the pale". Nuh-uh, knowing the beat he has covered, knowing the actual news he's reported on, you read the very entertaining novels and just nod your head. This is not Trevor McGee, but they are very much considered classed "Florida novels" these days. And a very good read.
Old 15-06-2011, 14:53   #212

Boat: I Want A Catalac
Re: Bullying on the Waterway ( Sunset Lake , Miami )

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksailor View Post
Just received a phone call from Miami Beach. I can't reveal who called with this information, but it's well up in the hierarchy.
Karlton has been cited in the past by the local code officer for his pranks with loud music and spotlights. Any more of this foolishness, another call from his neighbours, and it looks like he'll be going to court to explain.
He's also been cautioned by the City Attorney to back off - that he's looking for, and will get - trouble from the City.
His buddy whose campaign I believe he financed, Commissioner Tobin, is no longer in his camp. To quote my source, "Fred has a way of driving people away from him".
Uh, yes, we've noticed that.
The police department has been put on notice, informally, that responding to Karlton's calls about anchoring is not on. While that doesn't guarantee it won't happen again, the word is out that City Hall will act if it happens again. To put it plainly, certain individuals in City Hall are apparently not happy with their Chief. I've been told not to expect anything in writing from the police department admitting they were in error, but the word is out that the polite visits from the police requesting you to move won't happen again.
Boaters are welcome to enjoy anchoring anywhere in Sunset Lake without fear of being bothered.
Now all that being said - and I know this group isn't the problem - let's all act responsibly. Neat and tidy boats, respect for the neighbours, leave a clean wake....the usual drill. Part of the reason for this problem was a young man with a grotty boat who anchored there for a considerable period of time, antagonizing the locals AND the police. We don't need that.
Thank You, canucksailor!
To me, this is the best case outcome. No legalities, just the proper internal resolution. You told them they had a problem, they resolved it internally. They ensured that you knew that it worked. As an US citizen, many thanks for having the "wherewithal's" to show it can still be done. I applaud the last part of the above quote where you remind us that a clean wake is the best policy, and the only way.

I am not a cruiser, although my lifestyle resembles it. So land bound, sitting here on the same patch of ground as my great, great, great, great aw, cannot even count grand-pappy loved. Cannot say that I am to happy with the current state of affairs, DHS comes to mind.

Frank.
Old 15-06-2011, 15:17   #213

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Which brings up something else: If you've never read Carl Hiaisen's books, GET SOME. He's an award-winning long time serious journalist with the Miami Herald, but if you read his novels you'll think "the man is on drugs, this stuff is way beyond the pale". Nuh-uh, knowing the beat he has covered, knowing the actual news he's reported on, you read the very entertaining novels and just nod your head. This is not Trevor McGee, but they are very much considered classed "Florida novels" these days. And a very good read.
Hellosailor, I believe you mean Carl Hiaasen. Native Tongue is a delightful book that deals with uniquely Floridian environmental issues, and is a personal favorite.

Canuck, thank you for standing up for our liberties. As a native Floridian I will add that many waterfront home owners here on the Gulf coast do not share Mr. Karlton's sympathies, and I have encountered great kindness and generosity from more than one on separate occasions. One gentleman even helped me repair my outboard motor in Sarasota Bay.
Old 15-06-2011, 21:45   #214
cruiser

Boat: Dufour 34, 1975
Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor

My experiences with Floridians has shown me that Karlton is a very very tiny minority, for which I'm grateful. Goes with his IQ I think. And in the interests of evolutionary theory, I am doing my very best to see that Darwin's dictates are followed - with whatever help I can offer.
I've read some of Hiaasen's work - great writer, and I'm a big fan of Randy Wayne White and Doc Ford, as well.
Old 16-06-2011, 07:11   #215

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
My experiences with Floridians has shown me that Karlton is a very very tiny minority, for which I'm grateful. Goes with his IQ I think. And in the interests of evolutionary theory, I am doing my very best to see that Darwin's dictates are followed - with whatever help I can offer.
I've read some of Hiaasen's work - great writer, and I'm a big fan of Randy Wayne White and Doc Ford, as well.
G'Day Canuck,

I must applaud the outcome of your efforts, even though I will never want to anchor in this spot. Well done!

But I am afraid that it is too late for Darwinism to help in Karlton's situation, for it sounds like he is well past reproductive age and his DNA has likely been passed on to the next generation. Damn... I hate it when that happens!

So, if you want to help the evolutionary scheme, hunt down his kid(s) and snip something off. (Just kidding, guys).

And finally, Hiaasen does Florida sleaze better than anyone!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 16-06-2011, 10:37   #216

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36

canucksailor
"What is needed now is someone to anchor there and test the resolve of the mayor's office....any volunteers?
I'm in St. Augustine, headed north, so it's not possible for me at this time. Although, I'll be stopping by next fall on my way south. "

Does this mean you are not going to anchor fest, or has it been called off?
Old 16-06-2011, 10:53   #217

Boat: Morgan Classic 41

Quote:
But if you really want to see Florida justice metted out the way it should be, read Tim Dorsey's books. Serge has it down!
Old 23-06-2011, 11:08   #218

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Good job Canuck for sticking with it. If you're looking for a critic, you need not look any further than this forum. It has more vitriol than one would expect for a forum dealing with recreation. I don't think you pursued this to win a popularity contest but because you felt like something wasn't right. It takes all types, and while some of us would rather deal with this situation by avoiding it, sometimes you're pressed to anchor somewhere because of weather, or whatever. Hopefully this guy can let go of his fight and future boaters will be respectful. Despite anchoring laws, it is his back yard and I for one would feel an obligation not to intrude on his program.

csh
Old 23-06-2011, 13:30   #219

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top

Quote:
Originally Posted by csh View Post
It has more vitriol than one would expect for a forum dealing with recreation.
csh
Just a little vitreous humor.
Old 23-06-2011, 20:24   #220
cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor

I was a newspaper publisher for over twenty years - this board has nothing in terms of 'vitriol' compared to some of the stuff I had to deal with - including one death threat, and another guy offering to break my leg - he didn't like an editorial of mine. Told him to come ahead since he clearly knew how to find my office. Can't figure out why, but he never showed up! A shame, there was a flight of stairs I would have thrown him down.
I took this fight on because this guy got in my face and was using his 'purchasing power' to make the police do his dirty work. Now he's come to understand that his money doesn't buy him everything he wants, that other people have rights and that some of us will fight to enforce them - and...now that I CAN anchor in his backyard without being hassled, I'll anchor elsewhere.
The point is made, and like you, CSH, I don't want to cause needless aggravation. But for those who don't know where his house is, we've solved that problem for them.
That's what it's all about.
Old 23-06-2011, 20:31   #221
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny chaos View Post
Just a little vitreous humor.
Ouh. A little anatomical pun. I like it.
Old 23-06-2011, 20:39   #222
cruiser

wouldn't that be aqueous humor, at least on this site?
Old 23-06-2011, 21:24   #223

Boat: Catalina 27 - Handyman NO# 1229771
Send a message via MSN to tallyhorob

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcobra View Post
Hah! Again, been through an airport recently?
and I'm sure you are ok with that too, roll over, play dead, lets not make any waves. Because our government never has to be taken to task, they always do the right thing.

I have had really good luck contacting the internal affairs dept of most police stations. They are a little sideways in the whole chain of command, it might help. ( they all have that dept, you know because the police never need to be checked on)
Old 23-06-2011, 22:49   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
As a home owner and part time resident of Florida, I just remembered that Florida has a sunshine law and the transcript of the call the Police Officers received is public, as is the dispatcher's call to the unit responding. Time to do some hunting.

I wonder if GordMay can find the transcripts first..
Wont be a transcript it will be a recording and to get it he will have to show a compelling reason. You are referring to the Government in the Sunshine Law. Police are not subject to it quite the way the State Government is. Why to you think Skeletor and company in Tallahassee refuse to use email anymore..they do it all on the phone.
Since it is said that Karlton and Noriega are friends, all the Chief has to do is call dispatch and ask them to send a marine unit out.. The first would be a private call to the Chief and the second would be the Chief asking dispatch to send a unit to such and such no reason given.. Jobs in Fla are hard to come by now, and with all the cuts in government including law enforcement doing what you are told to do goes a long way to keeping your job.
Old 23-06-2011, 23:32   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
Remark: The Miami Police Dept is not the Miami Beach Police Dept
they are two different cities and two diffrent Police dept
Here we are talking about Miami Beach not Miami
Yeppers and Miami Beach City Council is well known for its cronyism and corruption.. dating alway the way back to when Meyer was alive..
Closed Thread

Tags
anchoring, cruising, miami, politics, regulations