Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2011, 07:52   #181
cruiser

Boat: Dufour 34, 1975
Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor
Re: Bullying on the Waterway ( Sunset Lake , Miami )

Canuck Sailor is ALWAYS here legally. I really don't want to do an offshore trek from the St. Lawrence to the Bahamas, which is the alternative to the ICW. otoh, I'd get to see Maine, and everyone tells me it's beautiful.
I didn't take this issue on for thanks from anyone. It's simply a situation that irks me and I don't take well to having my rights dumped on, either here or at home. People like Karlton bother me - and I was taught by my father that I have an obligation to use my abilities to do the things needing doing that those weaker or less able can't do. He wasn't referring to this sort of issue, but that's ok, he'd approve.
Another thing - as a journalist and owner/publisher for over 20 years, my word is the only thing I have. If I put it out there, it's the truth. I get very annoyed with people who cast aspersions, especially those who haven't read the thread through to get answers that are six pages back. But if you don't have time to inform yourself, maybe you shouldn't be posting, eh?
As far as my tactics being counter productive - no one was addressing this situation before. If anyone wants to take the job over, you're welcome to it.
Offers?
Old 14-06-2011, 08:15   #182
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksailor View Post
Another thing - as a journalist and owner/publisher for over 20 years, my word is the only thing I have. If I put it out there, it's the truth. I get very annoyed with people who cast aspersions, especially those who haven't read the thread through to get answers that are six pages back.
Wow. Now it's clear to me.

Wally, we've met and talked at the stern of my boat. I like you. Seriously. But that statement above demonstrates the transition point that you're caught up in. It's the thing you just don't get in this new electronic age.

You see, it used to be that when you wrote something, you were the "authority". Your words were laid out on ink in an expensive process that forced normal people's opinions to be weeded out. It's just not that way any longer.

Like it or not, the low threshold of publishing thoughts today means that anyone can "publish". Readers now have to filter out the content on their own. Your "authority" carries little weight. You're just one opinion. The real truth lies in the combination of thoughts and the challenges to thought - both mine and yours. You don't get a free ride just because you've been writing for 20 years. Not any more...
Old 14-06-2011, 08:56   #183
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksailor View Post
As far as my tactics being counter productive - no one was addressing this situation before. If anyone wants to take the job over, you're welcome to it.
Offers?
I don't think it's that simple.

You had broad support throughout the forum when you first brought the issue to light, but seem to have lost a substantial amount of that support at the point you set off an Ethics Commission investigation based on your correspondence. When the missives started throwing around words such as "craven" and "spineless," one has to wonder who is doing the bullying here.

Bullying is never a solution to bullying.
Old 14-06-2011, 08:59   #184
cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor

Fair enough Jeff, you're right about the diminution of 'publishing'. On the other hand, I've been there, done that, said my piece and, as noted, if I put it out there, you can take it as the truth.
Even in this age of electronic publishing, there are some standards. I keep them and don't need nor want a free ride.
And, Lord knows, if I did, this would be the last place to expect to find it! That's a compliment btw, folks! There are a lot of good, critical thinkers here, and although I haven't said it, those thoughts and comments have helped me.
Old 14-06-2011, 09:09   #185

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

"Compromise" is the new "attaining my rights under law" Sadly.
Old 14-06-2011, 09:28   #186

I for one support this effort One need to look no farther then the ongoing effort in florida to restrict our anchoring going on as we speak
Old 14-06-2011, 09:39   #187
cruiser

If anyone reading here has been bothered in Miami Beach while anchoring - by the police or Karlton - the Miami Herald would like to speak with you. This issue has been simmering for a while and the Herald wants to address it.
PM me and I'll arrange for you to speak with the reporter.
Old 14-06-2011, 09:53   #188

If you guys are serious about your July 4th anchorage in Sunset Bay, I HIGHLY recommend taking along a reporter and/or an off duty police officer... you know... for a beer
Old 14-06-2011, 12:35   #189
cruiser

rowing dude - that's a good idea - and I happen to have a reporter handy too...
Old 14-06-2011, 12:42   #190
cruiser

m/v Closeknit has given me permission to put this comment they made to me out here:
Quote:
I didn't elaborate on my original post, there was a bit of back and for-thing between Al and Karlton about police calling. Karlton offered to call for us. To me that suggests he had them in his pocket. Al told him that we had them on speed dial so he needn't call. When he was back on his property, pretending to do stuff, and noticed Al out putting on our window covers, he threw up his arms and said (to another elderly gentleman on his lawn in close proximity) "Those ****ers aren't leaving."
Old 14-06-2011, 12:58   #191
cruiser

post # 79, earlier thread on this issue. Some things are worth remembering...

Quote:
While we were anchored there in January Fred proceeded to yell obscenities at the Canadian boat anchored directly behind his house on day 2. There was also lots of go back to where you came from type comments too. They ignored him. We dinghied by and apologized for him being such an ass.
Old 14-06-2011, 16:33   #192

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman

I don't like bullies any more than the next person but having read this thread through completely, I make this recommendation: Add a marker to the Active Captain database for this particular position that says something like, "Be prepared for harassment from people in houses ashore to the east." That would flag the spot for those who care to bypass it and warn those who want to stop there. It is a similar concept to sailing in Somali waters: Cautious folks won't go there and brave (or foolish) souls will be alerted to the hazard.

Escalating situations like this almost NEVER solves the original problem and can easily lead to serious complications such as having the waterway closed to all anchoring. I stronglyh agree with Palarran in his post #130 (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post705784) and with Bash in his post #183 (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post708060).
Old 14-06-2011, 16:46   #193
CLOD

Boat: none

Man there is a CF member pissing battle going on now and it is just plain sad.

Because I got so far behind in reading this and it appears to not really be all that worth getting to the middle:

Has any positive come out of any of this as far as it relates to the anchoring issue?
Old 14-06-2011, 16:54   #194

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Has any positive come out of any of this as far as it relates to the anchoring issue?
Of course!
Old 14-06-2011, 18:47   #195
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming Yachtsman View Post
...I make this recommendation: Add a marker to the Active Captain database for this particular position that says something like, "Be prepared for harassment from people in houses ashore to the east."
I put that in myself almost 4 months ago. The details for the anchorage mention the issue and the provide the local telephone number for the Miami Beach Police Department. The situation at Sunset Lake isn't new. There are 3 documented cases of harassment that I know about. There are probably many more that have happened. An ActiveCaptain newsletter about 4 weeks ago mentioned the issue and the specific anchorage. The newsletter going out tonight/tomorrow talks about the July 4th anchoring party.

I just want to see everything happen in a safe and violence-free way. I fear that Mr. Karlton doesn't appear stable and a confrontation between him an a weapon-carrying boater will have a bad outcome for all boaters. I love anchoring and visiting Miami Beach (best dog part on the east coast happens by the Police Station at 5 pm every day along with fantastic shopping, groceries, movie theater, etc). Anchoring at one of the Belle Isle anchorages is a better place for visiting - I've had the luxury of being anchored there for weeks at a time.
Closed Thread

Tags
anchoring, cruising, miami, politics, regulations