Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 13:02   #76

Re: Bullying on the Waterway ( Sunset Lake, Miami )

With all the fallout from last weeks, Urban Weekend, you can bet that this isn't to high on the Miami Beach powers that be list right now.
Old 03-06-2011, 14:00   #77

Boat: 1984 Westerly Sealord 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
Bringing his boat out and causing damage to others would take this away from Miami Beach regulations and move it much more into Federal regulations with the Coast Guard, etc. If he ever moved his boat out to cause interference, I'd hope that the boaters anchored there would have a good plan about how to deal with it (calling local law enforcement, Coast Guard, video taping the obstruction) along with the relevant laws about it.
Perhaps local law enforcement and/or the Coast Guard should be asked to provide security and to maintain the peace for Anchor Fest. It wouldn't be an unrealistic request for an organized, peaceful, and legal protest.
Old 03-06-2011, 14:40   #78

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

Quote:
If he ever moved his boat out to cause interference, I'd hope that the boaters anchored there would have a good plan about how to deal with it (calling local law enforcement, Coast Guard, video taping the obstruction) along with the relevant laws about it.
Yes, well, there's the rub. As someone who deals with anchor encroachment all summer long, I can honestly say that there are no laws that says a guy can't anchor too close to you. There is a long tradition of common boater courtesy that says that the guy who anchored first should be afforded reasonable swing room by those who follow, but there are no such laws; there are no anchor police.

On Block Island, the USCG and Harbor Patrol tell a boater who complains about a guy who anchors too close the same thing: "You are the captain of your vessel and you are responsible for it's safety. If you feel your vessel is in danger of collision with another vessel, it is your responsibility to move; we cannot make the other guy move."

Now, that is not to deny that there aren't consequences, and he can be held financially responsible for any damage his willful act may cause. But, you would have to suffer the damage first and then seek your remedy through the civilian courts. Until there is a collision, he can anchor as close to your boat as he wants. Of course, you could choose to fend off with a very sharp boat hook.
Old 03-06-2011, 15:05   #79
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
It's also obvious that canucksailor is not a US citizen and visiting at the pleasure of the United States.
simply say

Quote:
no comprender Inglés por favor
and you will be immune to any legal action in the USA
Old 03-06-2011, 16:40   #80

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

Actually that should be:

Je ne parle pas English.

Our second annoying language up here is a bastardized version of French called Quebecois. I'm sure its been commonly heard around Miami over the years.

Sabre
Old 03-06-2011, 16:45   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug86 View Post
Of course, you could choose to fend off with a very sharp boat hook.
Like a jousting lance?

Life begins where land ends.
Old 04-06-2011, 21:15   #82
cruiser

Boat: Dufour 34, 1975
Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor

A bit of background for some doubting Thomas' here....I had this fight about anchoring in Melbourne back in 2007 over their (illegal) 3 day anchoring ordinance. The ordinance was quickly shelved after a writeup in Southwinds Sailing detailing my discussions with Mayor Goode, the town's police chief and legal counsel, plus the NMMA and others.
This situation isn't much different - plus, we have an acknowledgement from Miami Beach that we are in the right. We just have to deal with the village idiot and I don't think he'll be that much of a problem any more. He certainly won't get any support from the police after what the Mayor's office has said. All he has left is his silly little games - loud music, spotlights, empty threats. All of those can be countered with a bit of thought.
But I do like the pointy boathook idea...
Old 05-06-2011, 00:18   #83

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug86 View Post
Yes, well, there's the rub. As someone who deals with anchor encroachment all summer long, I can honestly say that there are no laws that says a guy can't anchor too close to you. There is a long tradition of common boater courtesy that says that the guy who anchored first should be afforded reasonable swing room by those who follow, but there are no such laws; there are no anchor police.

On Block Island, the USCG and Harbor Patrol tell a boater who complains about a guy who anchors too close the same thing: "You are the captain of your vessel and you are responsible for it's safety. If you feel your vessel is in danger of collision with another vessel, it is your responsibility to move; we cannot make the other guy move."

Now, that is not to deny that there aren't consequences, and he can be held financially responsible for any damage his willful act may cause. But, you would have to suffer the damage first and then seek your remedy through the civilian courts. Until there is a collision, he can anchor as close to your boat as he wants. Of course, you could choose to fend off with a very sharp boat hook.
Film the events. Tell him you will be posting on Youtube with his hull numbers to that his insurance company can find the video easily. If you can find out his insurance company, send them the video direct. Police may not be able to do anything, but his insurance company can penalize him if they figure out he is pushing the limits of the law. Even if they don't find the video immediately, the video will weigh against him in any future claim if someone Googles the hull numbers.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:44   #84

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
..... I live a million miles away in a different country so have no expertise in how to deal with the situation in the States, but having read this thread with much interest, have you considered another tack:

The man could be regretting what he has done (and especially since I'm sure he has heard about all the publicity) but has no way of 'saving face'. Perhaps if you could engage with him 'one on one' you could give him the opportunity (if he is wise enough to take it) to explain why he was acting this way and apologise.
If he were a wise man - he would do that and and be more friendly to yachtsman who anchor there in future.
One never knows what encounter he may have had in the past to have him act this way???
Just a thought ....
Old 05-06-2011, 03:26   #85

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36
Re: Bullying on the Waterway ( Sunset Lake , Miami )

impi
If this was an isolated incident that may be true, but this man has a history of this behavior. I think he has already proven that he is not a wise man.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:51   #86
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Bullying on the Waterway ( Sunset Lake , Miami )

I think whats being said is the mans a Bully.... ever tried reasoning with a bully...
sooner or later it was inevitable there had to be a 'Yottie Spring'

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:10   #87
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin

Being a Canadian in foreign waters I think I'd be inclined to invite the man over to my boat and show him some friendly Canadian hospitality. We'd start out with some Brador's (high test French Canadian Beer) and some buttered Fiddleheads as an appetizer (ya gotta have veggies ya know). Follow that up with some Beaver Tails and Maple Syrup to sweeten the taste buds. The main course would consist of some good ole' Canadian Back Bacon piled high on a Sour Dough Bun and Poutine. The second course would be a Maritime Fisherman's lunch consisting of of Seal Flipper Pie and Cod Cheeks & Tongues with a fine Gooseberry Wine to wash it all down. And if he's still hungry we'll add an Atlantic Canadian Lobster (the kind with the claws) or two all smothered in butter. For dessert we'd serve full fat home made un-pasturized ice cream and our old standby Maple Syrup. A few more Brador's tossed in for good measure. So after he consumes the 35,000 calorie delight I'd just sit back and wait for the coronary event to happen!
Old 05-06-2011, 06:11   #88

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Aye, Rick, yas fergot the Moose Nose...
Old 05-06-2011, 06:13   #89

Boat: 1984 Westerly Sealord 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Film the events. Tell him you will be posting on Youtube with his hull numbers to that his insurance company can find the video easily. If you can find out his insurance company, send them the video direct. Police may not be able to do anything, but his insurance company can penalize him if they figure out he is pushing the limits of the law. Even if they don't find the video immediately, the video will weigh against him in any future claim if someone Googles the hull numbers.
Assuming he's not self-insured to begin with, I don't think he'd really care if his insurance company doubled or tripled his premiums. It's not like he'd have to mortgage his multi-million dollar home to pay the extra thousands per year to the insurance company.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:13   #90

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

This guy can't stand to see happy cruisers in front of his house! I wonder what set him off? Sounds like a wretched dude, but worthy of our pity. Keep wearing him down -- on the high road.

csh
Closed Thread

Tags
anchoring, cruising, miami, politics, regulations