Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2011, 16:11   #16
Moderator Emeritus
 
hummingway's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gabriola Island & Victoria, British Columbia
Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Posts: 6,933
Images: 5
Re: Britain to sort out Somalia in 2012!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Maybe, maybe not. Had there been any survivors among the pirates that managed to get back to land and give a first hand account as to what happened to them, maybe so. But since a lot of pirates are lost a sea, others would just assume weather and poor seamanship. Could try mass distribution of Kindles programmed to only run the above video, to the villages that the pirates hail from. Just a thought.
It's not the first time that video has been discussed here. As with all pirate discussions the range of opinions run from solving the problem by nuking them to solving it by education and aid to the country.

The fact is Mogadishu is considered to be the most dangerous place on earth. Afraid of being killed by Russian sailors? Maybe ,but probably not more then walking down the streets of Mogadishu at night. There are replacements lined up down the block who will die for the chance to feed their family.
__________________

__________________
“We are the universe contemplating itself” - Carl Sagan

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 23-12-2011, 16:26   #17
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Re: Britain to sort out Somalia in 2012!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
It would seem very strategic but not enough for them to care I guess. I believe in the north they have oil and some semblance of gov't.

Safe would be good.
Yeah, some oil - but offshore not really been explored.......

The Key to "sorting out" Somalia is recognising reality when you see it. Somalia has never been a country in any real sense (lines on a map drawn by Europeans - probably just the bits even Ethiopia didn't want).

If I recall correctly, Somaliland wants full independence and Puntland only wants (and has) autonomy from central Govt. If both of these were recognised as independent states or at least fully autonomous regions then over half the problems of Somalia would be solved - plus would have allies in the region to do stuff that the western armies can't.....with a major advantage the west can never have, people they oppose know they aren't going anywhere. Would even work if they both only got autonomy under a very very loose Federal Govt of Somalia....with a head of State who can't actually do anything - but looks nice on Stamps kinda like the UK Queen.



Amongst other aid / assistance, if both Somaliland and Puntland were given there own Coastguard (Ships and Training) then the whole Piracy problem would be pretty much solved, especially if the west turned a blind eye . Could even add the training of some locals as Marines.....

Neither would become a place that anyone in the West would like to live - and I am sure that there systems of Govt would be heavily religion based, but that was also a stage that the West had to grow out of and took us long enough!........the trick would not to be over optimistic on moving folks from the Bronze age to the middle ages overnight.

For the southern part of Somalia (inc. Mogadishu) I would divide it into chunks based around the Tribes and make them each fully autonomous regions of South Somalia - that in turn is a fully autonomous region of Greater Somalia.....divide and conquer albeit probably won't stop 'em being a mess - but containable.

I would also take the island(s) of Socotra off Yemen and use it as a naval base....Yemen is broke (and falling apart - if it ever was whole in the first place), so would be fairly easy to get a 100 year lease from some Yemeni puppet / muppet leader - maybe in the name of the UN? or Nato or even the EU . a couple of billion invested in that region would also have spin offs to the wider economy.

I'll send David Cameron a link to this thread
__________________

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 23-12-2011, 16:43   #18
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: north carolina
Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Posts: 3,113
Re: Britain to sort out Somalia in 2012!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Yeah, some oil - but offshore not really been explored.......

The Key to "sorting out" Somalia is recognising reality when you see it. Somalia has never been a country in any real sense (lines on a map drawn by Europeans - probably just the bits even Ethiopia didn't want).

If I recall correctly, Somaliland wants full independence and Puntland only wants (and has) autonomy from central Govt. If both of these were recognised as independent states or at least fully autonomous regions then over half the problems of Somalia would be solved - plus would have allies in the region to do stuff that the western armies can't.....with a major advantage the west can never have, people they oppose know they aren't going anywhere. Would even work if they both only got autonomy under a very very loose Federal Govt of Somalia....with a head of State who can't actually do anything - but looks nice on Stamps kinda like the UK Queen.



Amongst other aid / assistance, if both Somaliland and Puntland were given there own Coastguard (Ships and Training) then the whole Piracy problem would be pretty much solved, especially if the west turned a blind eye . Could even add the training of some locals as Marines.....

Neither would become a place that anyone in the West would like to live - and I am sure that there systems of Govt would be heavily religion based, but that was also a stage that the West had to grow out of and took us long enough!........the trick would not to be over optimistic on moving folks from the Bronze age to the middle ages overnight.

For the southern part of Somalia (inc. Mogadishu) I would divide it into chunks based around the Tribes and make them each fully autonomous regions of South Somalia - that in turn is a fully autonomous region of Greater Somalia.....divide and conquer albeit probably won't stop 'em being a mess - but containable.

I would also take the island(s) of Socotra off Yemen and use it as a naval base....Yemen is broke (and falling apart - if it ever was whole in the first place), so would be fairly easy to get a 100 year lease from some Yemeni puppet / muppet leader - maybe in the name of the UN? or Nato or even the EU . a couple of billion invested in that region would also have spin offs to the wider economy.

I'll send David Cameron a link to this thread
David you have my vote if you want to try a takeover ,sounds as if you have it all figured out ....I dont need much of a kick back for my support maybe a few hundred miles of beach front property and some oil drilling concessions ....DVC
__________________
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 23-12-2011, 16:44   #19
Moderator Emeritus
 
hummingway's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gabriola Island & Victoria, British Columbia
Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Posts: 6,933
Images: 5
Re: Britain to sort out Somalia in 2012!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Yeah, some oil - but offshore not really been explored.......

The Key to "sorting out" Somalia is recognising reality when you see it. Somalia has never been a country in any real sense (lines on a map drawn by Europeans - probably just the bits even Ethiopia didn't want).

If I recall correctly, Somaliland wants full independence and Puntland only wants (and has) autonomy from central Govt. If both of these were recognised as independent states or at least fully autonomous regions then over half the problems of Somalia would be solved - plus would have allies in the region to do stuff that the western armies can't.....with a major advantage the west can never have, people they oppose know they aren't going anywhere. Would even work if they both only got autonomy under a very very loose Federal Govt of Somalia....with a head of State who can't actually do anything - but looks nice on Stamps kinda like the UK Queen.



Amongst other aid / assistance, if both Somaliland and Puntland were given there own Coastguard (Ships and Training) then the whole Piracy problem would be pretty much solved, especially if the west turned a blind eye . Could even add the training of some locals as Marines.....

Neither would become a place that anyone in the West would like to live - and I am sure that there systems of Govt would be heavily religion based, but that was also a stage that the West had to grow out of and took us long enough!........the trick would not to be over optimistic on moving folks from the Bronze age to the middle ages overnight.

For the southern part of Somalia (inc. Mogadishu) I would divide it into chunks based around the Tribes and make them each fully autonomous regions of South Somalia - that in turn is a fully autonomous region of Greater Somalia.....divide and conquer albeit probably won't stop 'em being a mess - but containable.

I would also take the island(s) of Socotra off Yemen and use it as a naval base....Yemen is broke (and falling apart - if it ever was whole in the first place), so would be fairly easy to get a 100 year lease from some Yemeni puppet / muppet leader - maybe in the name of the UN? or Nato or even the EU . a couple of billion invested in that region would also have spin offs to the wider economy.

I'll send David Cameron a link to this thread
You may have just bought the next election for Mr. Cameron!

I think what you've written makes sense. I believe Puntland has received some support from the west already, however insipid. Still good luck figuring out how's in charge! "Here then, you, how would you like to be in charge of the country? Well, yes, I know you've no experience but really how hard is it. Stand around looking important, clear your throat once and while and we'll take care of the details."
__________________
“We are the universe contemplating itself” - Carl Sagan

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 23-12-2011, 16:45   #20
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,311
Images: 75
Re: Britain to sort out Somalia in 2012!

as in most conflicts it mainly all comes down to money and control of reasorces .

one of the reasons cameroon is looking into sorting out somalia is their is a lot of money coming from the gulf states funding what we call fundamentalism in the region.

now libya is no longer a player somalia makes a great training ground for those that want to regain control of mineral resources that western companies developed in the region.

hard to say whats going to happen,but i doubt its going to be altruism......
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 23-12-2011, 16:57   #21
Senior Cruiser
 
delmarrey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Now in Blaine, WA
Boat: Modified Choate 40
Posts: 10,702
Images: 122
Re: Britain to sort out Somalia in 2012!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Well, according to David Cameron (English PM) .

"The Prime Minister's decision to tackle the Somalia quagmire is seen by some as being fuelled by the success of the Libyan venture"

Britain's new year resolution: intervene in Somalia - Africa - World - The Independent

Good luck with that one ............but even if (yet another) failed war, might be a side benefit to folks wanting to pass through the area by boat more safely.


But my bet is all words and no action (and no money!) and simply part of his recent (Dog Whistle) announcement that all Muslims, Jews and non-beleivers are to be driven into the sea from whence they came......all in the name of cheeses (like in the good old days ).

"the UK is a Christian country and we should not be afraid to say so"

BBC News - David Cameron on Christianity - views

Seems to not realise that only a minority of people in Britain are practising Christians and over half of the population sees itself as non-religious (as per the latest British Social Attitudes survey).....it's why we have stuff like electricity. and don't burn people on bonfires anymore.

Politics and religion - and with a hint of guns
Blessed Are the Peacemakers (Matthew 5:9)

A “peacemaker” is one who seeks to bring harmony and reconciliation between those who are estranged. Peacemaking seeks to produce right relationships between persons. everyone hates those who sow discord and stir up trouble (Proverbs 6:19). Vet every community and every local church and many homes have people who thrive on divisions and conflict and unrest.

Peacemakers are needed in our world. Holding grudges and evil speaking are common sources of conflict among everyone. Busybodies and slanderers and disagreeable persons can cause havoc in a community.

Peacemakers are needed among nations. Christians should face the war question squarely, doing all they can to prevent war. We are to seek to live at peace with all persons (Romans 12:18). Our faith requires that we love our neighbors and pray for our enemies!
__________________
Faithful are the Wounds of a Friend, but the Kisses of the Enemy are Deceitful! ........
A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves!

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 23-12-2011, 17:08   #22
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,311
Images: 75
Re: Britain to sort out Somalia in 2012!

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Blessed Are the Peacemakers (Matthew 5:9)

A “peacemaker” is one who seeks to bring harmony and reconciliation between those who are estranged. Peacemaking seeks to produce right relationships between persons. everyone hates those who sow discord and stir up trouble (Proverbs 6:19). Vet every community and every local church and many homes have people who thrive on divisions and conflict and unrest.

Peacemakers are needed in our world. Holding grudges and evil speaking are common sources of conflict among everyone. Busybodies and slanderers and disagreeable persons can cause havoc in a community.

Peacemakers are needed among nations. Christians should face the war question squarely, doing all they can to prevent war. We are to seek to live at peace with all persons (Romans 12:18). Our faith requires that we love our neighbors and pray for our enemies!
yup!!! thats pretty much how the old world conquerd the new world!!!

perhaps we need to find a new approach!
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 23-12-2011, 17:15   #23
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,209
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Britain to sort out Somalia in 2012!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
yup!!! thats pretty much how the old world conquerd the new world!!!

perhaps we need to find a new approach!
Yeah... pretty sure the Inca's and a few others would have appreciated that 'New Approach' a few hundred years back...
But then the 'Convert or Die Policy' is hard to beat... Win Win or wot....
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 23-12-2011, 17:15   #24
Registered User
 
stevensc's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
Posts: 679
Re: Britain to sort out Somalia in 2012!

I spent quite a bit of time in Somalia in the late 70s and probably 15 trips throughout the country till the late 80s You can't imagine how much aid from the US, Europe and the UK has been pumped in there over the years. The CDC Comonwealth Development Corporation set up a large sugar project in the near Kismayu, cleared the bush leveled the fields, irrigation equipment, tractors, housing on and on even the sugar milling and processing factory. Many millions of Dollars worth. There are othe projects throughout the country from fish and lobster processing plants, farms of all types, to factories and roads. It all has gone to waste along with all of the innocent lives lost in battles between the different factions. Who is fault who knows I don't see it getting better for a long long time.
I must say the Somalis I met and they were many from managers to mechanics were very nice people to me, I also will say they are probably the most cruel I have ever seen to their animals, and to each other.
I hope their lot improves
Steve W
__________________
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 23-12-2011, 17:27   #25
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,311
Images: 75
Re: Britain to sort out Somalia in 2012!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensc View Post
I spent quite a bit of time in Somalia in the late 70s and probably 15 trips throughout the country till the late 80s You can't imagine how much aid from the US, Europe and the UK has been pumped in there over the years. The CDC Comonwealth Development Corporation set up a large sugar project in the near Kismayu, cleared the bush leveled the fields, irrigation equipment, tractors, housing on and on even the sugar milling and processing factory. Many millions of Dollars worth. There are othe projects throughout the country from fish and lobster processing plants, farms of all types, to factories and roads. It all has gone to waste along with all of the innocent lives lost in battles between the different factions. Who is fault who knows I don't see it getting better for a long long time.
I must say the Somalis I met and they were many from managers to mechanics were very nice people to me, I also will say they are probably the most cruel I have ever seen to their animals, and to each other.
I hope their lot improves
Steve W
angola was a similar scenario and now is booming,so maybe there is still hope!

just wish that we the west started treating arms dealers the same way we would drug dealers .....
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 23-12-2011, 17:51   #26
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: north carolina
Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Posts: 3,113
Re: Britain to sort out Somalia in 2012!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensc View Post
I spent quite a bit of time in Somalia in the late 70s and probably 15 trips throughout the country till the late 80s You can't imagine how much aid from the US, Europe and the UK has been pumped in there over the years. The CDC Comonwealth Development Corporation set up a large sugar project in the near Kismayu, cleared the bush leveled the fields, irrigation equipment, tractors, housing on and on even the sugar milling and processing factory. Many millions of Dollars worth. There are othe projects throughout the country from fish and lobster processing plants, farms of all types, to factories and roads. It all has gone to waste along with all of the innocent lives lost in battles between the different factions. Who is fault who knows I don't see it getting better for a long long time.
I must say the Somalis I met and they were many from managers to mechanics were very nice people to me, I also will say they are probably the most cruel I have ever seen to their animals, and to each other.
I hope their lot improves
Steve W
Friend of mine was there and said the same .. I asked why they couldnt get it together and he said"they do fine during the day but at night the war lords would bring in the Khat and it made them crazy and old resentments would surface" dont know if thats it or not but thats what he was told by his commanders(marine corp)...DVC
__________________
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 23-12-2011, 17:59   #27
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,209
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Britain to sort out Somalia in 2012!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
angola was a similar scenario and now is booming,so maybe there is still hope!

just wish that we the west started treating arms dealers the same way we would drug dealers .....
That'd kill off the last of British Industry...
mind it'd save on all those foriegn junkets for the Royals and the I'm so In Crowd at Whitehall.....
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 23-12-2011, 18:04   #28
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,311
Images: 75
Re: Britain to sort out Somalia in 2012!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Friend of mine was there and said the same .. I asked why they couldnt get it together and he said"they do fine during the day but at night the war lords would bring in the Khat and it made them crazy and old resentments would surface" dont know if thats it or not but thats what he was told by his commanders(marine corp)...DVC
dunno about that as khat generally makes people pretty mellow,think it is more the "khat economy". the stuff is prety addictive psychologically.

it definitely screwed up yemen with peoples dependence on it.
no money for food,but money for khat..........
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 25-12-2011, 20:03   #29
Registered User
 
Dkdoyle's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ruskin, Fl
Boat: Seafarer 26
Posts: 287
This reminds me of the Chevy chase movie when he was a weapons dealer. They do it for money. Somebody is taking their money and selling them things like RPGs and guns. Bet they keep most of their money in banks too.

Bottom line if it is not profitable then they will stop doing it. Feel bad for the poor people.
__________________
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 25-12-2011, 21:12   #30
Registered User
 
stevensc's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
Posts: 679
Re: Britain to sort out Somalia in 2012!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
angola was a similar scenario and now is booming,so maybe there is still hope!

just wish that we the west started treating arms dealers the same way we would drug dealers .....

I spent lots of time in Angola too, remember: Angola has LOTS of oil and diamonds

I'm good with deep sixing the arms dealer too.
Steve W
__________________

__________________
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply

Tags
Somalia, somalia

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY Sailboat Summit - Rio Dulce - February 22-29, 2012 spostamento nobile Cruising News & Events 1 08-02-2012 08:58
Crew Available: Pacific Crew (x2) NZ - Fiji - Oz - Hawaii - USA 2012 ! sampowell1080 Crew Archives 0 08-12-2011 17:33
'THE PIRATES OF SOMALIA: Inside Their Hidden World' by Jay Bahadur GordMay The Library 13 13-09-2011 15:53
Famine in Somalia GordMay Off Topic Forum 14 20-07-2011 12:12



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:42.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.