BP Oil Spill Measures
We just received the following from Beneteau
USA and though it would be wise to pass it on:
Notice to All Beneteau Owners:
We have had a few calls regarding the Gulf Oil Spill and wanted to share this information.
We recommend that you avoid any contact with the oil slick.
If the boat does come in contact with the oil slick
The engine manufacturer feels there will be no issue, as the intake is far below the surface of the water.
- There will be a permanent staining to the white gelcoat.
- This will not effect the Structural Warranty of the boat.
DO NOT MOTOR-SAIL.
What can I do to protect my boat?
- You should carry extra engine impellers and impeller gaskets as petroleum products will damage the impeller.
- You should flush the raw water cooling system with a mixture of dawn soap and water to help break down any oil that might have gotten in the cooling system.
Boat Owners Association of The United States (BoatUS) recommends the following tips for recreational boaters:
We hope that this information was helpful. If we can be of any further assistance please contact us at:
- If your marina or boat club puts oil containment booms in place, do not attempt to cross the booms with your boat. This will only spread the oil and damage the booms or possibly your vessel's running gear.
- If there is oil in your marina, refrain from running engines or other devices that have seawater intakes such as air conditioners or refrigerators.
- Hauling out your boat will prevent damage, but as of press time it was not clear if these costs will be reimbursed by British Petroleum (BP).
- If the spill is sighted coming toward your marina or already there, call the BP Community Information Hotline at 866-448-5816 to make a report.
- If your boat comes in contact with the oil, call your insurance company to file a claim. Uninsured boaters can call the BP Hotline at 800-440-0858 to file a claim.
- Damage to a BoatUS insured's vessel that is caused by the oil spill is covered. BoatUS members are directed to call 800-937-1937 to file a claim.
Beneteau USA Customer Service
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."