Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2010, 03:48   #1
Armchair Bucketeer

BP Boss (Tony Hayward) - NOT Such a Bad Fella After All !

He's got a boat

"Mr Hayward spent the day with his son at the JP Morgan Asset Management Round The Island Race, where boats race around the Isle of Wight, off the coast of southern England.

He was later spotted by photographers on his $270,000 (£182,000) Farr 52 racing yacht, "Bob", at the event."

BBC News - BP CEO Tony Hayward criticised for yacht trip

Of course White House not happy ........if I open the window I can hear the whining from here
Old 20-06-2010, 04:04   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
After the way he was treated by our esteemed boobs in Congress I say, keep sailin.

Some Americans have such a tar and feathers mentality.....It embarrasses me.
Old 20-06-2010, 04:31   #3

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
After the way he was treated by our esteemed boobs in Congress I say, keep sailin.

Some Americans have such a tar and feathers mentality.....It embarrasses me.
Are you kidding?
Old 20-06-2010, 04:42   #4
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well, I have to agree you - the Americans were very accusatory, and you should be ashamed of your duly elected congress!!! Except that old geezer (the one who asked pertinent questions, and who kept saying "put that on 'record", when it was all clearly going on the record anyway), none of them were interested in ascertaining facts - which I thought was the objective of an investigative hearing!!!

But, I have to say, the fact that it was a quarter of a million dollar boat that Hayward took his day off on possibly didn't help his image. Had he sailed a battered old yacht down to the local pub, it might not have triggered so much anger amongst a huge public, very few of whom earn his Fat Cat salary.
Old 20-06-2010, 05:00   #5

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'
The Slimey-Limey should have been arrested the moment he showed up at the White House. Every time we fuel our boats we are concerned about causing a sheen on the water, afraid of what the fines would. And then, if we do spill a few drops, we, with much guilt, spray some Fantastic, or Joy to make it go away.He openly had dispersants used to hide the slick, only to create a huge hydrocarbon plume that undoubtably will destroy the food chain for decades. He should be butt deep in muck and oil trying to clean up his mess, not enjoying a cold one after a race.
Old 20-06-2010, 05:02   #6

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
WTF?

Yea right a top bloke?
Texas city explosion 2005 15 dead 170 injured, why cost cutting trying to increase profits.

Texas City Refinery explosion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Failure to Learn - The BP Texas Refinery Disaster

Now 11 dead and a environmental disaster.

Research how wonderful BP are, type into Google Andrew Hopkins BP failure to learn. Sorry but this is no joke.

I would have blown his yacht out of the water.

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
Old 20-06-2010, 05:04   #7

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
It all went wrong on his shift so it is logical he should carry the can, but the Brit bashing felt this side of the pond is very real.
IMHO good on him for finding time to go sailing with his son, it could leave him better prepared for the days ahead. I'm pretty sure a lot of congressmen have taken leisure time also during this and other disasters so let's just find out the cause whilst giving the support required to get it fixed, and then of course make sure it does not happen again.
JOHN
Old 20-06-2010, 05:13   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveyor View Post
Are you kidding?
It is playing badly over here. It seems that everyone in the US has a great scapegoat in BP. I'm not saying that BP is guilt free, but...

- The drilling was done by a US company, TransOcean, which seems to spend its time running from tax haven to tax haven. The rig was also staffed by people from Halliburton.

- The US govt told BP that no additional safety measures where needed as the environmental risk was considered low.

- The blow-out preventer which should have stopped the disaster was apparently supplied by Transocean.

There's more than BP to blame here but we never hear of the US companies involved getting pulled in front of congress. Maybe the US companies are getting their share of the blame in the US but on this side of the pond it seems that only BP is to blame.

In any case, BP is not really a very british company. It's listed in both London and New York, half its board are american, it's major market is the US, it has more staff in Houston than London and 46% of its employees are in the US. Anglo-american perhaps, but it's hardly British.
Old 20-06-2010, 05:20   #9

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
The fact that he was sailing a 1/4 million dollar boat has nothing to do with the problem in the Gulf, other than as a factor in an emotional tirade.
We all know that a day on the water promote mental health--don't we??
Here is a suggestion. We close all Gulf drilling, all BP customers give up everything that they own that runs on oil- and don't buy from anyone else. (You see where i'm going with this?) The boat builders in the NE can build a fleet of skip-jacks-and we can pay $500 for a scallop dinner.

All the above is RIDICULUOS, -about the same as getting angry at Mr Haywood.
He will pay the 20 billion---and the price of oil will go up.
We are all in this together folks.
Old 20-06-2010, 05:21   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
It is playing badly over here. It seems that everyone in the US has a great scapegoat in BP. I'm not saying that BP is guilt free, but...

- The drilling was done by a US company, TransOcean, which seems to spend its time running from tax haven to tax haven. The rig was also staffed by people from Halliburton.

- The US govt told BP that no additional safety measures where needed as the environmental risk was considered low.

- The blow-out preventer which should have stopped the disaster was apparently supplied by Transocean.

There's more than BP to blame here but we never hear of the US companies involved getting pulled in front of congress. Maybe the US companies are getting their share of the blame in the US but on this side of the pond it seems that only BP is to blame.

In any case, BP is not really a very british company. It's listed in both London and New York, half its board are american, it's major market is the US, it has more staff in Houston than London and 46% of its employees are in the US. Anglo-american perhaps, but it's hardly British.
The project was 5 months behind schedule. Projects that are 5 months behind schedule are sure to draw the attention of upper management, trust me on that one.

Besides, who is saying anything about British blame? This is about Mr. Hayward going sailing and the fury that decision has caused.
Old 20-06-2010, 05:22   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
It is interesting that we don't hear anything about the American companies involved...
... "Duck and cover"...

It always seems so much worse when it happens on US soil.
Old 20-06-2010, 05:23   #12
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Thanks for clearing that up Minty.

I hate the blame game where people should be trying to help.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 20-06-2010, 05:28   #13

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
DOJ, you just love to poke the lion don't you.

The Gulf of Mexico is a very big ocean. The amount of volume of oil and dispersant we are putting into it is tiny in relation to the total water volume.
-Tony Hayward

I don't wish the guy ill will and I even pity him at times, he didn't blow up the well or tell the maintenance guy to ignore critical repairs. But he clearly did not have a grip on reality when he made the above statement, and he has an air of secrecy which is frustrating. I hope BP goes on and is a productive oil company, I hope the shareholders do OK. I say this knowing that the gulf folks will get totally shafted on this. Though the TV is full of bloodthirsty talk the average American on the ground doesn't want revenge, they just want their livelihood back and their land/coast to heal.

Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
-Mark Twain

Congress are a bunch of boobs, there are some good ones in there but they get drowned out. The hearings are silly with much showmanship, but it has produced some action though hard to tell if it will trickle down to the people affected by this (by their track record, I doubt it).

Ok, now I am off to top off the batteries and work on my beautiful boat before the heat hits (have I mentioned lately how beautiful my boat is ).
Cheers,
Erika
Old 20-06-2010, 05:28   #14

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingminniwinni View Post
WTF?

Yea right a top bloke?
Texas city explosion 2005 15 dead 170 injured, why cost cutting trying to increase profits.

Texas City Refinery explosion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Failure to Learn - The BP Texas Refinery Disaster

Now 11 dead and a environmental disaster.

Research how wonderful BP are, type into Google Andrew Hopkins BP failure to learn. Sorry but this is no joke.

I would have blown his yacht out of the water.
Seems this has gone from a sailing to political set of comments.
Plus if I'm translating WTF correct then Glenn could use some mouthwash and chill a bit.

We were talking about Woodward going sailing.
Woodward was appointed in 2007.
The Texas accident was when?

That's the lot from me on this thread.

JOHN
Old 20-06-2010, 05:29   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Here is a suggestion. We close all Gulf drilling
This is an idea that has been promoted by the State of Florida since I was a wee little toe headed kid. Not a bad idea if you ask me. Oil companies can not be trusted to do things within the law or the regulations and government agencies can not be trusted to enforce their own regulations or protect the public. Do away with the whole nightmare.
Closed Thread