Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2013, 20:35   #106
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Boat Burns in Grenada!

Some of the details in my earlier post about the circumstances are not correct. So in post 67 my comment is very relevant: "This is all second hand info/suposition/gossip etc".

Like with all things it takes time to get all the facts sorted out and I am neither questioning people or have any intention to.

The only detail I will correct is that the Owner was on board, not a hired skipper. So owner and one crew.

Looks like it will be a few days till it gets towed to deep water. First I think they are going to try to get any polutants out of the hull.

BTW the reason why it didnt sink when the seacock hoses melted is that build of boat has metal extensions from the seacocks up to above the water line. I havent heard of that before on a boat.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 21:02   #107

Boat: 55' Romsdal

It will be interesting to see if the hull was insulated with spray foam. The picture from the stern would suggest it may have been which would explain why the fire was so inexorable.
Old 15-06-2013, 21:07   #108
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
What does the length of the boat have to do with the price of eggs? Its not a mega-cruiser with massive superstar status or is it? So where do we draw the line?

Boat may well have been insured up to the hilt.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 21:07   #109

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Some of the details in my earlier post about the circumstances are not correct. So in post 67 my comment is very relevant: "This is all second hand info/suposition/gossip etc".

Like with all things it takes time to get all the facts sorted out and I am neither questioning people or have any intention to.

The only detail I will correct is that the Owner was on board, not a hired skipper. So owner and one crew.

Looks like it will be a few days till it gets towed to deep water. First I think they are going to try to get any polutants out of the hull.

BTW the reason why it didnt sink when the seacock hoses melted is that build of boat has metal extensions from the seacocks up to above the water line. I havent heard of that before on a boat.

Mark
Mark, I really appreciate the effort to report this accurately. Thanks.

The seacock extensions to above waterline are called "standpipes" and are quite common on metal boats as it is easy to weld them into the structure and have enough strength to not "break off" accidentally. No reason they can't also be employed on glass boats but for reasons that I am unaware, this is not often done.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 21:13   #110

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Hi Dave! You keep asking how could I have drawn such a conclusion from just a few photos? I am an Electrical Engineer with Forensics background. Some circumstances that I considered by looking at the sequences of photos shown; time of fire, place of fire, effect of localized heat generation, the extent of fire propagation, final look at the boat's burned skin, among other factors. While every incident is unique, investigators do not have to re-invent the wheel every time there is an incident; there are patterns that stand out and point to your findings.

Mauritz
If you are an electrical engineer, you would know that you do not draw watts. You draw amps and wattage is generally expressed as power produced through some form of generation. However it is correct to say a bulb has the wattage of X watts. A generator can be a 12KW (kilowatts). A solar panel produces 100 watts per panel and so on.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 21:26   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
It will be interesting to see if the hull was insulated with spray foam. The picture from the stern would suggest it may have been which would explain why the fire was so inexorable.
Run that by Teknav, He is probably an expert on the chemical properities of spray foam...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 15-06-2013, 21:46   #112

Boat: Custom Ketch Asperida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Run that by Teknav, He is probably an expert on the chemical properities of spray foam...
Nasty comment- I see a lot of them recently on this forum.
What's going on with you people ?
Tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 21:47   #113
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
It will be interesting to see if the hull was insulated with spray foam.
Wheres my disclaimer...

This is all second hand info/suposition/gossip etc

I understand it was spray foam in all areas except two areas: The engine bay and the forward bulkhead aft the anchor locker.

I understand these two sections were "Rock Wall" but as I google it I also find "Rock Wool"

The two sections are still INTACT and they are the only intact features of the boat. The engine has been completey BURNED to nothing.

I am gunna try and get to the stern for a photo tomorrow morning. The ones from the stern I took Friday were a bit of a distance because the smoke was so toxic.

Could the engine be burned to nothing?!?!?

I will try to get a photo..

Old 15-06-2013, 21:49   #114

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
Nasty comment- I see a lot of them recently on this forum.
What's going on with you people ?
How about Watts going?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 21:56   #115

The mods certainly have the power to shut the thread down if they feel it's inappropriate.
Old 15-06-2013, 21:58   #116

Mark...Was it going to be used as a charter boat or for the owners use? The reason I ask is that I was wondering if a charter boat is built to a different standards in regards to safety and fire issues.
Old 15-06-2013, 22:01   #117
Long Range Cruiser

Private use. The owner and his wife have been on board right through the Caribbean. One crew, an Australian.
But I havent spoken to the owner yet, so I cant say for certain they never charter.

It would have been built to MCA wouldnt it?

Old 16-06-2013, 01:03   #118

I'm not sure but the thru-hull standpipes is quite a unique idea.
Old 16-06-2013, 01:10   #119

Boat: Lagoon 440

Have seen it on a few, it's common to do it leading to a sea-chest but with a bolted flange and valve between isolating the chest

Makes valve replacement a cinch but air locks come into play.
Old 16-06-2013, 01:33   #120
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
appears it may have some above the water blisters..?
But likely any wet core is now dry .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Grenada, grenada