Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2013, 17:18   #46

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Boat Burns in Grenada!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Here's a sister ship built in 2006 that can be had for a mere 3.9 million euros.

2006 Jongert 2400M Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

(check out the engine room photo)
After looking at thees photos I feel dreadfully sad for the poor owners. Perhaps instead of giving to the poor mentally ill vetran on the curb I should donate to these guy's instead.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 17:36   #47
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

is a true shame...bunt boats are truly a negative picture--they are truly dead. very sad.

on the light side----that'll buff right out with no fewer than 72 strokes.....

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 18:25   #48
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

I've rebuilt many a burn boat(my least favorite job), but NO, that will NOT buff out. Stick a fork in her, she's done!

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 18:36   #49

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Truly fabulous interior that boat had. I've stayed in many a hotel room that was not as nice as that.
Old 14-06-2013, 18:42   #50
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
If this is a genuine case let's stand together and help?
YES!! The crew man, not the skipper, but the crew is a young feller named Scotty. Everything he owns is not burnt to a crisp! he got his passport but NOTHING else. So he is in accomodation supplied by another cruiser but he has only the Tshirt and shorts he stands up in!

yes the company credit card will be splashing out tomorrow to fix him up... but he's out of a job. Now unemployed. Another **** kicker on the queue to get a super yacht job.

Yes, there is a genuine case that someone needs help.

He was shell shocked at the bar tonight and I think just wanted a good nights sleep - hes been fighting a fire since 4am... and still awake now, albiet sucking a beer .

Ownwrs, skippers etc are going to always be compensated (or their money has a risk factor) but the poor ol crew gets nout.

Glad to see the Grenada cruisers step up and help

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 19:00   #51

Boat: csy 37

great to hear, markj. local cruisers in grenada help out boatless crew till he can sort out his next move. the owner, if he's a good guy, will help him out too - maybe at least get him a flight home (actually, i think he's legally required to).

i think bluewater means well, but i don't expect that a guy who owns a $5 million yacht will be soliciting donations from us...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 19:20   #52

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

The biggest headache for the owners, besides the boat's destruction...the boat did NOT sink. The source of the fire will easily be determined, as long as the boat is afloat. If the boat sank, it would not have taken too long for the salt water to eat up the evidence, by the time salvage would have occurred.

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
Old 14-06-2013, 19:26   #53
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
The biggest headache for the owners, besides the boat's destruction...the boat did NOT sink. !
Ummmm no. These days the polution charges totally outweigh other considerations.

As any cruiser would be the skipper and owner of this vessle are doing everything possible to keep it afloat till they can get a letter from the government to let them take the hulk offshore and sink it.

They have being trying to block the seacocks this evening and trying to get a pump to keep it afloat.

Sinking in the harbour/bay would cost them heaps.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 19:37   #54

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ahh, Those new boat electrical problems!! I remember about 15 yrs ago, a mega sea going motor yacht, brand new, bilt in a BIG yard in Washington State, almost burnt up at sea on it's way down the coast to So Cal. Loose electrical connections, now this boat was sea trialed, and the connections were found loosened up 3 times, evedently from heat in the boxs. They were re-cinched before it left Seattle, and she ended up towed in Humboldt Bay. It was steel and the paint and windows were really a mess ! never saw the insides. Seems like electrical connections are a big problem for some ! I looked at the pics of the dash ! and I would have hated to tear it up , but it would be without a top if it was mine LOL Man I can't even imagine looseing my 50 grand boat let alone a 5 mil boat ! I guess it's all the same tho ! We would both loose our homes !! Hope things work out for the owner and the crew man !
Old 14-06-2013, 20:14   #55
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
. Seems like electrical connections are a big problem for some ! I looked at the pics of the dash ! and I would have hated to tear it up , but it would be without a top if it was mine
Agreed. About 20 years ago I assisted on a delivery of a new 60'ish power cruiser, plaining hull, that took salt spray behind the electrical panel and started sparking and smoking. That was scary.

I'm looking at my panels right now, and if there was a fire back there I'd have a hard time getting back to the wiring with a fire extinguisher. At best I might start whacking at it with a hammer--no axe aboard. But I wouldn't be able to open the panels if there were already interior flames, and a fire extinguisher wouldn't put out anything inside the panels without breaking them open.

Another thing to worry about for many of us. The good thing on my boat is that I could cut off the current elsewhere, but that does little good if there's already fire aboard.

That might be worth starting a new thread if anyone has suggestions.
Old 14-06-2013, 20:21   #56

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
What does the length of the boat have to do with the price of eggs? So where do we draw the line?
Okay... I'll play...

We draw the line somewhere above what I paid for my boat.

Anyway, 'tis sad about such a fine appearing boat burning. But with you folk throwing out numbers like 5 million I guess the owner can handle things.

My proletariat mind is more concerned with the crewman who lost his kit. Hopefully the owner will step up. And maybe Mark will keep us advised on that.

Mark?
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 20:27   #57

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

This is how I did my panel. A flip of 2 plastic mirror hanger brackets and 3 seconds later voila! So if a fire was to break out, at least I could get to it. The older HR's came with clackie toggle switches mounted through the wood of the companionway wood bulkhead with fuses. I rewired with tinned wire crimped and soldered. Plus over-sized the wire for loads. I have found if the wire and terminal get moderately warm during their use, the will loosen over time. My feeling is that if you go up in wire size, everything runs a little cooler. However, I do check it on occasion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Electrical panel 001.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	62565   Click image for larger version

Name:	Electrical panel 002.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	62566  

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 21:08   #58

Boat: Seafarer36c

I did a little flame testing of some wire the other day. Ancor insulation burned pretty well under flame but went out when the flame was removed. Some fancy aircraft wire with a teflon insulation did nothing execpt turn black under flame. Some cheap automotive wire continued to burn after the flame was removed...
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 21:21   #59

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
Like financially?

You are mad.
Some consider me mad maybe but I am quite sane frankly, thanks for the insult anyway.

I think to all intelligent people out there it is clear that I certainly don't mean helping a rich person who is adequately insured. I also don't mean replacing such an expensive boat. I think you might see where I am coming from but if not ... oh well.
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 21:51   #60

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

"Ownwrs, skippers etc are going to always be compensated (or their money has a risk factor) but the poor ol crew gets nout."

So true. When the White Star Liner Titanic sank in 1912, the crews wages stopped at the moment the ships sank. On top of that, grieving families of lost crewmen were charged freight by the White Star Line if the body of their lost loved one was recovered and shipped home for burial.

I am with Mark, the crewman is the one who needs help--the rich owner is deserving of our sympathy, but not is certainly not the needy one.

Tags
Grenada, grenada