Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 04:44   #16

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII
Re: Boat abandoned en route to Bermuda washes up on M.V.

you would some serious roaming plan to use a cellphone 300nm offshore!..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Since the invention of cellphones and the notion of calling 911 for help... most people, Americans especially have become sissies. Back in the olden days (pre 1980's) you knew you were on your own, and needed to be prepared... no calling 911 and expecting others to come get you out of the mess you created.
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:54   #17

Re: Boat Abandoned en route to Bermuda Washes up on M.V.

We need to know what kind of boat that is,its the answer to the BLUE WATER BOAT question! it comes home like a faithful old horse just let go the reins
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:12   #18

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by sartorst View Post
We need to know what kind of boat that is,its the answer to the BLUE WATER BOAT question! it comes home like a faithful old horse just let go the reins
Pearson 365 ketch
Old 09-07-2013, 05:37   #19
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic38 View Post
you would some serious roaming plan to use a cellphone 300nm offshore!..
It's the mentality I'm talking about... you know, quickly calling for help instead of thinking things trough and being prepared. Not actually using a cell phone 300 miles out, but I assume he used some kind of radio or phone device to do it.

The mindset I'm referring to is that now it's OK to get yourself into any kind of serious mess without forethought of the consequences, and then expect others to come and save you... usually at their expense.

And now... it's even politically incorrect in Amerika to criticize anyone for doing such a thing. Forty years ago, you could expect to get a dumby slap upside your head from your parents for doing something stupid or a hefty bill from the Coast Guard or tow boat for coming to your rescue. Now everyone makes excuses on the knuckleheads behalf for their behavior.

I think some of the boating people here in the Med think it's like a big fun-in-the-sun swimming pool... where if you get tired or in trouble, you can just swim to the side and hop out of the water whenever you want, or have the lifeguard come fetch you.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:30   #20

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

WTF! Must be lonely up there at the top! All those stupid mortals down there, f---king up all the time. No one has heard from this guy. No one knows what the circumstance's where at the time. Critical dehydration, (vomiting), injury. Who knows? Not me, and inspite of your certainty, not you! This bitter, self righteous, mindless criticism of people and situuation's is what is stupid. And boring.
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:31   #21

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

There has been a much higher incidence of east wind this spring in the Bermuda area. He must have abandoned it before hitting the gulf stream.
Greyhound was spotted 640 miles NE of Bda. 2 weeks back.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:47   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogensailor View Post
WTF! Must be lonely up there at the top! All those stupid mortals down there, f---king up all the time. No one has heard from this guy. No one knows what the circumstance's where at the time. Critical dehydration, (vomiting), injury. Who knows? Not me, and inspite of your certainty, not you! This bitter, self righteous, mindless criticism of people and situuation's is what is stupid. And boring.
It's no longer politically correct to criticize anyone or make any general statements regarding safety or behavior in Amerika without someone getting offended. Thanks for proving my point.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:35   #23

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

It's not a matter of PC anything. It's a matter of obnoxious self righteousness. Constructive, enlightened criticism is required for all learning to take place. Negative destructive critiques of the sort you offer are too "general", and too condemning to be of much help, or interest. What's to be learned? That's the point! Nothing ventured nothing gained. Must we die for our mistakes? It sounds like you may have some valuable lessons to impart. Your generally unkind presentation cancels out the possibility of anyone learning from you. You don't know!!! And niether do I. Lets find out, and continue the adventure. Sorry if my critique is too harsh. We all make mistakes.
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:45   #24
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Must we die for our mistakes?

unfortunately this isn't generally allowed now and we go out of our way to keep some people in the gene pool

now - back to boats that sail themselves across the open sea single handing, missing all the shoals and other boats, in order to find a nice soft beach in a high rent location. Probably wasn't even using charts or the autopilot.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:57   #25

Yet another example of a boat more seaworthy than it's crew. They always seem to come ashore over there on their own! No judgement intended.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:22   #26
cruiser

Quote:
It's a matter of obnoxious self righteousness. Constructive, enlightened criticism is required for all learning to take place. Negative destructive critiques of the sort you offer are too "general", and too condemning to be of much help, or interest....

Thanks again!
Old 09-07-2013, 10:27   #27
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
Back to boats that sail themselves across the open sea single handing, missing all the shoals and other boats, in order to find a nice soft beach in a high rent location. Probably wasn't even using charts or the autopilot.
It makes me think I might be better off when it comes time to head back across the pond, to just set the autopilot for North America, jump off and swim ashore... rather than sailing myself with crew. It would certainly be cheaper.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:31   #28
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
It makes me think I might be better off when it comes time to head back across the pond, to just set the autopilot for North America, jump off and swim ashore... rather than sailing myself with crew. It would certainly be cheaper.
Only works if you fully commit, so be sure to cancel your insurance
Old 09-07-2013, 12:13   #29
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
This isn't the first time a person has left a perfectly good vessel.

And it won't be the last time -- nor should it.

You leave your vessel if you believe your life MAY be in peril. You don't have guarantees either way, but you do the prudent thing and make sure you survive.

Just because all abandoned vessels don't sink doesn't mean he might have been close, esp. given his knowledge of his and his boat's abilities.

I wouldn't be embarrassed if that happened to me. I would make the best call I could at the time, and be thrilled if in the end the boat survived.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:18   #30
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCall View Post
If his insurance company paid him for the loss of the boat, he should hope they don't get wind of the recovery. Legally, the boat belongs to them and, if he wants to keep it, he will have to buy it back from them.

So now we're going to assume that he's both an idiot AND a cheat?
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bermuda, route, bermuda