Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-07-2015, 08:17   #31

Boat: Ericson 30+
Re: Boarded in Nassau

Sketchy, luckily we didn't have too much troubles in nassau, though we were the smallest boat anchored there. Going into town is not THAT bad as long as you stay on the shoreline of it.

Old 22-07-2015, 10:14   #32

Boat: 41 Morgan OI & 46' Cheoy Lee, Trawler, 46'

Last year we were on our 46' Cheoy Lee trawler renting a slip at the first marina on the right going into Marsh Harbor.
A guy swam out from shore and stole a 23' tender with Yahama outboards. He was even seen on the security camera in the lobby the next day. Seems they like Yahamas. The next day a 27' Contender was stolen from an American near Marsh Harbor. This seems to be a common occurrence these days.
In any event don't be a naïve American tourist. Lock your stuff up, don't leave fishing rods or dive equipment out on the deck, and be aware of your surroundings.
Good luck,
Captain Don
PineapplePrincessLLC.com

Old 22-07-2015, 10:34   #33

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Vasco,
Glad to hear that you and your wife avoided any personal harm. Your encounter is truly sad since Nassau is an outstanding place to re-provision for cruisers heading to and from the islands. However, as was the conversation in many previous discussions, the rules have changed and cruisers need to vote with their pocketbooks and spend money in those areas that appreciate their dollars. I, personally, hope that the Bahamas are not next in line to replicate the growing crime statistics found in the Windward/Leward Islands and Central and South America. "The times they are a changin' ". Good luck and safe sailing.
Bahamas was rated last year as the most dangerous cruise ship destination in the world. The US has rated the crime situation there as critical for many years. Nassau is the worst but there is crime everywhere. I once had to hide among the dunes on a remote beach in Eleuthera when gunshots erupted very close at hand, having thought myself very much alone. The whole region fringing the Caribbean is the most dangerous statistically for cruising sailors and the most dangerous in general in terms of crime as an area of the whole world. 16 of the top 25 nations in the murder rate statistics fringe or are located in the Caribbean sea, including all the top 6 spots. The Bahamas clocks in at number 12 in the world.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 10:46   #34
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
The whole region fringing the Caribbean is the most dangerous statistically for cruising sailors and the most dangerous in general in terms of crime as an area of the whole world.
Are there really statistics for crime against cruisers? I don't believe that general crime statistics and crime against cruisers relate much to each other really.
Old 22-07-2015, 10:56   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Are there really statistics for crime against cruisers? I don't believe that general crime statistics and crime against cruisers relate much to each other really.
You got me there sailorboy. There are not specifically for cruisers. But if you look at the Caribbean Safety and Security Net and more particularly the Noonsite Piracy pages and flip back for more than a decade you will find that by FAR the Caribbean region scores highest for attacks on cruising sailboats. It is also my experience directly. I have not personally had problems in the Caribbean, but I personally know several who have been boarded, brutalised, and even stabbed. Fortunately none of my friends or acquaintances have been murdered there… yet. But you are FAR more likely to be murdered there as a yachtsperson than anywhere else. As to robbery? Well… check out Noonsite.

As to their not relating? Why on Earth wouldn't they? Of course they do.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 22-07-2015, 11:02   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
As to their not relating? Why on Earth wouldn't they? Of course they do.
Because it matters where and what type of crime is occurring. I don't believe the current very high number of shootings etc in Chicago relate to increased risk to a cruiser visiting Chicago. The shootings aren't occurring in the marina or areas that a visiting boater would be going to (unless they are looking for drugs in which case that's just another drug related crime really).
Old 22-07-2015, 11:05   #37

Quote:
Because it matters where and what type of crime is occurring. I don't believe the current very high number of shootings etc in Chicago relate to increased risk to a cruiser visiting Chicago. The shootings aren't occurring in the marina or areas that a visiting boater would be going to (unless they are looking for drugs in which case that's just another drug related crime really).
Well it is possible the correlation is only oblique, but it is absolutely there. If there are a lot of armed, violence inclined thugs living in coastal towns, then, well, there are a lot of armed, violence inclined thugs right where they need to be to be a problem for you… and, well, you do leave your boat from time to time, no?
Old 22-07-2015, 11:13   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Well it is possible the correlation is only oblique, but it is absolutely there. If there are a lot of armed, violence inclined thugs living in coastal towns, then, well, there are a lot of armed, violence inclined thugs right where they need to be to be a problem for you… and, well, you do leave your boat from time to time, no?
I agree that if you go into a area of high crime then you are are at increased risk. But there are lots of places with high general crime rates where the crime mostly occurs in areas a cruiser don't go to. Bet this applies to pretty much any city in the world.
Old 22-07-2015, 11:23   #39

Quote:
I agree that if you go into a area of high crime then you are are at increased risk. But there are lots of places with high general crime rates where the crime mostly occurs in areas a cruiser don't go to. Bet this applies to pretty much any city in the world.
Well with this I disagree. Your attempt to artificially corral crime to certain areas where cruiser's don't tend to go is really a stretch. Seems to me that you are just making this up for the sake of the point you are trying to make, which is already basically lost, vis a vis crime against sailors in the Caribbean region. It is bad. Crime in general in the region is also bad. There is a correlation. End of story, really. I honestly don't know what you are trying to get from your statements on this. Reassurance?
Old 22-07-2015, 11:30   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm saying if the word is out that there is a lot of crime against cruisers in an area that's an issue to cruisers. But if the locals are shooting each other each other, but not cruisers, stay out of their way. Is that all that hard to accept?
Old 22-07-2015, 11:35   #41

Quote:
I'm saying if the word is out that there is a lot of crime against cruisers in an area that's an issue to cruisers. But if the locals are shooting each other each other, but not cruisers, stay out of their way. Is that all that hard to accept?
Um… how do you propose to do this effectively? Reckon they all walk around wearing bandanas and flashing gang signals or something?
Old 22-07-2015, 13:40   #42

Boat: Tayana FD-12

Spent close to a month anchored in that very spot back in March of 2007. Never had a problem. That really sux, what is the world coming to?
Old 22-07-2015, 13:42   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorvati View Post
Spent close to a month anchored in that very spot back in March of 2007. Never had a problem. That really sux, what is the world coming to?

Been anchoring there since 1990. First time it's happened to me.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 17:06   #44

Boat: Ericson 30+

We heard no gunshots when we went this past year, but didn't venture too far from shore being cruisers. We also had met 2 guys younger than us cruising and they went all the way into shore to the "local" grocery store, and they were smart about it and were fine. Kate and I went to closer more expensive store and felt safe as well.

I also clicked on this thread originally thinking it were BASRA/ Bahamian coast guard "boarding" which also frequently happens to anchored cruisers in and around Nassau.

Made this video talking about how our Nassau cruising experience went.

I guess the rule when cruising Nassau is, make sure your dinghy stays on the deck or up on those davits to be sure! Boats towing really nice center consoles are prone to some serious theft.

Tags
nassau

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: