Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 21:37   #1

Boat: Beneteau 393
Best Boat Show ?

Can someone reccomend an upcoming boat show for us? we are located in Oklahoma and the only one I find so far is one in the Houston Texas area the weekend of the 24th this month. Is that a good place to start? We are going to be in Shreveport in November if there is anything that direction. I have attempted to find them but there are very few listed.(or I am not looking in the right place is more like it) We are looking at Multi hulls.
got seashells? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 21:47   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Our Texas boat show used to be one of the best for finding a used boat, now not so sure. We never had a strong vender section but we are one of the largest concentration of boats in the US. This year it is at South Shore Harbor, a huge marina (marina holds over a 1000 boats I think) So if ya want to walk on a lot of boats in a short period of time I thing Texas in the water boat show is a good place to start. Florida’s used boat market is bigger but more spread out, boat show">Annapolis boat show (from what I saw) doesn’t have the variety Texas has, don’t know anything about California.
Hope that helps, we will leave the light on for yaJ
Erika
Old 09-09-2010, 22:43   #3

Boat: Dehler, Cruising 41 - BEBECA
Send a message via Skype™ to deltasig
Visit as many as you can, talk to as many people as you find willng to share info. That's the best part in the selection process
deltasig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 22:44   #4

san diego, surprisingly enough, is kind of lame

edit: the boatshow i mean. love the city.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 05:21   #5

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
The Houston boat show really isn't worth your time unless you are looking for fishing gear. There aren't a lot of vendors for kit and not a lot of different boat builders- Beneteau and Hunter are what comes to mind. I don't even remember seeing any cats the couple of times we went.

We had planned to go to Chicago until work forced us to stay home. Now we are shooting for Annapolis. I lived in Annapolis, downtown in the 80's and that show has always been enormous. Lots of vendors and lots of boats.

If you are looking at multis- I'd shoot for either the Annapolis show or better yet, Miami Strictly Sail.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 08:13   #6

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
Jump on a plane and go to Annapolis. Best sailboat only show by far.
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 08:40   #7

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Also agree that Annapolis is the way to go (unless you can get to Southhampton this weekend - that show rocks). In addition to the show itself, Gemini has had multi-hull (new and used) events around the boat show.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 08:44   #8

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Southampton is a great boat show. I'd say it's one of the few 'destination' boat shows. If you attend, try to extend a bit and stay at Bucklers Hard. And see the Buleigh (sp?) Car Museum.

We've been 4 times and the last 3 times we've spent 3 days there. The accommodation is a rip-off though.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 09:02   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
The Annapolis Show is still the top site for multis becasue Gemini hosts the Multihull demo days afterwards, while the Power Show is running. With advance planning you can get to sail on a number of multis. There will also be a used Cat show at a nearby marina, again with possible rides.

The disadvantage of the Annapolis events is lack of accomodations. Everything is already booked. You have to rent a car and find a room 15 miles away, and drive in to the Naval Academy Stadium to park and ride the show busses.

Miami's show is at multiple Venues, there is public transportation, and lots of housing choices, a few economical (but pretty bad.) Pick your poison!
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 15:35   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Jump on a plane and go to Annapolis. Best sailboat only show by far.
yep.......
Jimbo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 11:44   #11

Boat: It will be an Island Packet 38 most probably
I am going to the Annapolis boat show and I'll be doing the Take the Wheel seminar on Saturday. Sandy, you mentionned that with advance planning we could sail on different multis. Is it still possible to arrange something and who should I contact about this?

Thanks

Missou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 13:53   #12

Boat: none-yet! :)
Send a message via Yahoo to annasails23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missou View Post
I am going to the Annapolis boat show and I'll be doing the Take the Wheel seminar on Saturday. Sandy, you mentionned that with advance planning we could sail on different multis. Is it still possible to arrange something and who should I contact about this?

Thanks
Bumping up for you, Missou.... anyone? How about monos?

Cheers!
Anna
annasails23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2010, 09:05   #13

Boat: It will be an Island Packet 38 most probably
Thanks Annasails! I cannot consider a mono since I have a balance problem because of a very partial paralysis on my right side. I still can walk and function almost normally but I have some limitations to consider. Although, I could go on a monohull for a little while as long as I stay put while under sail. My husband and I would really enjoy sailing several cats to start comparing them. It will enable as to plan our future and our budget.

Cheers!

Missou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2010, 09:25   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
The Houston boat show really isn't worth your time unless you are looking for fishing gear. There aren't a lot of vendors for kit and not a lot of different boat builders- Beneteau and Hunter are what comes to mind. I don't even remember seeing any cats the couple of times we went.

If you are looking at multis- I'd shoot for either the Annapolis show or better yet, Miami Strictly Sail.
Yes, the "Houston" show is more geared towards fishing boats. The "In the Water" Boat Show in Clear Lake is geared towards used sailboats with a few (major brand) new sailboats, and also a healthy power boat section. I will peek at the show this year and see if it is as good as I remember, with this economy I'd guess it will be smaller than normal.
This year we should have a bunch of cats at the show, I have seen a huge climb in the cat population here in clear lake (I am surrounded by em!). I agree that Miami would be the best for a new Cat. Will let you know after the show.
Erika
Old 26-09-2010, 16:59   #15

Went to the Houston in the water boat show ( 2010 Southwest International Boat Show) in Clear Lake Texas, south of Houston.
What I saw:
Lots of powerboats, big (104 ft), medium, small, lots of powerboats. The sailboats mainly ranged in the 40-50 footers and had quite a few(maybe 50 or so) then a few 30+ footers(20 maybe). There was new Pacific Seacraft, Sun Odysseys, beneteau, Jenneaus (spell??), and Hunters. I couldn't find one catamaran! The vender section was mainly generators and powerboat stuff along with a few non marine booths (car dealerships ?). I found a local Volvo parts dealer so well worth the price of admission ($15) for me. All in all I thought it was an good show.

I thought the Annapolis show(2003) had more new boats and the Annapolis vender section is way way superior.

I think the Clear Lake area is one of the best places to see used offshore/coastal sailboats but you don’t need a boat show to see them, our marinas are huge (average 1000 boats per marina) and centrally located so easy to boat shop without driving a lot.

Hope that helps,
Erika

Tags
boat show