Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2010, 17:19   #16

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
Boat show... to what end?

Seashells,

" Is that a good place to start? "

Well, let's back up a step or two and ask what you wanted to do at a boat show.

Boat shows are useful for learning about gear, visiting with vendors, maybe snagging some discounts. But they aren't necessarily the best places for buying boats, learning about boat quirks, making connections to learn to sail, etc.
Old 28-09-2010, 19:32   #17

Boat: Beneteau 393
We are trying to see what the different layouts are on the boats and try to get a feeling for what size would work best for us. The web pages are greatfor pretty pictures but we want to see them in person and make a list of things that we need to get more information on or things that we do not think will work for us.
got seashells? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 05:12   #18

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
I thought the Annapolis show(2003) had more new boats and the Annapolis vender section is way way superior.
The Annapolis show is NEW boats only (although some of the boats on display may be a used model, depending on the manufacturer).

Most of the vendors on the boats will be boat brokers, so they will be able to discuss brokerage boats (aka "used"), if that is what you are really interested in.

If you are a serious buyer, a broker will find a way to get you on one or more boats after the show for a test sail. Keep in mind that most of the boats will be on their way to the next destination immediately after the show, so the opportunities are all over the map. You might even be able to get on some boats to help them with the next leg of their trip.

Missou, the Multihull Demo Day is October 12 (only one day this year). We used this event in 2004 to make our final decision to buy our Maine Cat 41. Sadly, it looks like Maine Cat is not on the list of boats being shown.

Fair Winds,
Mike
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 05:58   #19

Boat: It will be an Island Packet 38 most probably
Yesterday, I called the Take the Wheel organization to verify if I could reserve a catamaran for the seminar. I had called them in August to make the request and they had told me it was too early. I had explained to them why I prefered a cat and they took it into consideration. I am booked for a Gemini and a FP!! I am so happy.

We reserved a room in a hotel that is 30 minutes away from the show site grrrr. We will arrive early for our parking and take the shuttle, unless Hubby wants to try to find himself a parking spot close by. To you think it will be possible?

Missou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 06:06   #20

Boat: Nonsuch 324, 30', Dulcinea
My two favorites are Miami which takes more than one day to see and Annapolis.
Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 09:13   #21

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missou View Post
Yesterday, I called the Take the Wheel organization to verify if I could reserve a catamaran for the seminar. I had called them in August to make the request and they had told me it was too early. I had explained to them why I prefered a cat and they took it into consideration. I am booked for a Gemini and a FP!! I am so happy.

We reserved a room in a hotel that is 30 minutes away from the show site grrrr. We will arrive early for our parking and take the shuttle, unless Hubby wants to try to find himself a parking spot close by. To you think it will be possible?
Take the shuttle unless you are willing to pay a lot for parking. There are a couple of places right by the boat show that open their "lots" for the boat show and charge you a nice bit of change for it (granted, they use the money to support local schools, etc).

The shuttle is pretty well thought out and can save you some aggravation of trying to maneuver a car in downtown Annapolis during the crazt boat show weekend.

Enjoy the seminar!
Mike
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 11:28   #22

Boat: L42
I have been to Annapolis 5 times in the last 10 years and always enjoy it. Great selection of Multihulls and not really difficult to get a test sail on the Demo days following the show. All you really need to do is talk to the sales guys on the boats to reserve a slot.

As long as you don't try to stay within walking distance its not that bad. I usually stay at the Hampton Inn and get a reasonable rate, its about 10 minutes from the show. I have never used the shuttle, although it sounds like a reasonable way to go. I normally can find plenty of places to park for about 10 to 15 dollars right at the show.

I have always wanted to try Miami, but every year something comes up. Maybe this year.

These two are your best bet to see a wide variety of Cats.
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 11:55   #23

Boat: Cabo Rico
I got reservations at the Sheraton a couple of days ago and it was $200 night. Ouch. Oh well, in the boat world that's nothing. They are close to the show and have a shuttle.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 12:22   #24
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoTraveler View Post
I got reservations at the Sheraton a couple of days ago and it was $200 night. .
You could invite 10 cruisers... $20 each and we could have a party.

Does it have a bath tub?

I don't smell, much...

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 18:45   #25

Boat: It will be an Island Packet 38 most probably
Thanks Mike, I can't wait for the seminar.

Missou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 18:47   #26

Boat: Jeanneau 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_C View Post
I normally can find plenty of places to park for about 10 to 15 dollars right at the show.
Where abouts?
Jimbo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat show