Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2017, 02:44   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 371
Re: Belgian customs at it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Different interpretation of EU rules by countries is the short answer.

The UK has for some time used red diesel for off road use only, farm tractors, building site equipment, cranes etc. This also included commercial and leisure vessels plus aircraft. The EU decided years ago that this couldn't go on and gave the UK some time to stop it and charge tax on fuel for propulsion particularly for yachts and aircraft. The UK kind of ignored it for a couple of decades as too difficult.

However, eventually the EU put its foot down insisting fuel for propulsion in yachts must be taxed heavily, so the UK came up with a fudge or compromise as civil servants are want to do. So on a tank full of red diesel the yachtie declares at the point of sale how much as a percentage he will use for propulsion and how much for heating and cooking which are not taxed or only lightly. UK Customs and Excise have agreed not to query a 60% propulsion and 40% heating purchase for a yacht. Higher use for heating might be open to a challenge by customs though.

So now and it has happened in the past, Belgium which has a tiny coast of 40 miles or so will fine anyone with even a minor trace of red dye because they believe that red dyed fuel should not be used as its not correctly taxed and not for leisure use. 3ppm has been quoted which gets you a E500 fine.

Once the local marina and harbour businesses feel the pinch words will be said, however, Belgium always has a hung parliament so no one party has sufficient majority to sort anything out.

Pete
What a great reply!
Old 13-07-2017, 03:06   #17

Boat: Various

My solution would be slightly different. I wouldn't buy fuel in the UK. They've had decades to comply with what everyone else is doing.
Old 13-07-2017, 04:07   #18

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
To add just a little to this --

ALL marine diesel in the UK is dyed red.
So presumably this would affect all US and Canadian boats, too, yes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
My solution would be slightly different. I wouldn't buy fuel in the UK. They've had decades to comply with what everyone else is doing.
Not so easy for many -- based in the UK -- to do. Sorta like saying don't buy fuel in FL, to FL residents...

-Chris
Old 13-07-2017, 04:22   #19

Quote:
It’s not that straightforward. The UK coast is dotted with small marine fuel facilities that traditionally (and still do) provide fuel primerally for commercial use, such as local fishing boats. To provide also un-dyed fuel would mean the addition of second full tanks and pumps, which is not commercially viable or even practical in many cases. The sensible solution chosen by the UK was to charge leisure boaters the appropriate tax on red fuel used for leisure purposes.
Old 13-07-2017, 05:06   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
How would you avoid buying fuel in your own country? Weird comment. Like telling Florida boats to only buy fuel in the Bahamas.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 13-07-2017, 05:27   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
So presumably this would affect all US and Canadian boats, too, yes?-Chris
Probably, of course its not the red dye that's the problem, cat litter and a dose of acid has been used in Northern Ireland for years to remove this. Southern Ireland uses green dye by the way. No, its the chemical marker you can't see that lands you in trouble.

However, we are talking about a 40 miles stretch of coast with 3 ports, Zeebrugge, Oostend and Neiwpoort. Other than having to go quite far offshore to avoid the Belgium wind farms, its only a days hop skip and a jump until you are in Holland who are completely different.

I think the original EU decision dates back to about 1993, so the English Civil Service have done a pretty good job in stalling things and then coming up with the fudge over different classes of tax on the same tank of fuel. You might think that it was more about sticking two fingers up to the EU, but I couldn't possibly comment.

Pete
Old 13-07-2017, 06:57   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
So presumably this would affect all US and Canadian boats, too, yes?

Not so easy for many -- based in the UK -- to do. Sorta like saying don't buy fuel in FL, to FL residents...

-Chris
I'm suggesting those cruising and not having to. Obviously some have no choice, but most do have a choice if they're cruising outside the UK.
Old 13-07-2017, 06:59   #23

Quote:
How would you avoid buying fuel in your own country? Weird comment. Like telling Florida boats to only buy fuel in the Bahamas.
I wouldn't like it at all. I'd start applying pressure to get my country to conform. Until then I'd buy in the next country on my planned cruise. I'm just saying that everyone is placing the fault with Belgium and that's not where the fault truly lies.
Old 13-07-2017, 07:23   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
I wouldn't like it at all. I'd start applying pressure to get my country to conform. Until then I'd buy in the next country on my planned cruise. I'm just saying that everyone is placing the fault with Belgium and that's not where the fault truly lies.
I disagree. The fault is with Belgium for sure. No other European country has the same problem recognizing the reality in the UK, which is that you cannot buy undyed fuel in the UK, and that there is no infrastructure to supply undyed marine diesel fuel.

"Conforming" would mean constructing an entirely new fueling infrastructure -- not realistic at all in a country with 11,000 miles of coastline (about the same as the entire U.S. coastline including Alaska's) and hundreds of ports. And probably also replacing all the fuel tanks in all UK yachts, since you can never really get the red dye out.

You can't just "buy it until then in the next country on my cruise". You can't really ever get the red out, and certainly not with just one or several tankfuls.

It's not even relevant any more since the UK will be out of the EU altogether in a couple of years. This kind of mindless bureacratism is one of the big reasons why the Brits voted to leave the EU, which is terrible for everyone.
Old 13-07-2017, 07:30   #25

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneJK View Post
tax per liter : 50 €ct/liter (approx) (ie red is 50 €ct/liter cheaper than white)

I believe the fine is calculated on the size of your tank(s) , ive read that the fine is 4.6 euros/l of tank capacity
That's a pretty hefty fine!
Can a person just declare their fuel and pay the tax? If not, it is clearly better to avoid their waters.
Old 13-07-2017, 07:33   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
. . . Can a person just declare their fuel and pay the tax? If not, it is clearly better to avoid their waters.
The tax has already been paid -- the UK started charging excise tax on fuel used for propulsion of pleasure vessels, a long time ago, to conform with EU rules, although this was hugely unpopular.

Previously fuel was untaxed like fuel used for fishing etc.

That's why other European countries are OK with British yachts having red in their tanks -- the tax in fact has been paid.
Old 13-07-2017, 07:46   #27

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
The tax has already been paid -- the UK started charging excise tax on fuel used for propulsion of pleasure vessels, a long time ago, to conform with EU rules, although this was hugely unpopular.

Previously fuel was untaxed like fuel used for fishing etc.

That's why other European countries are OK with British yachts having red in their tanks -- the tax in fact has been paid.
This keeps getting more bizarre by the moment! Thanks for the update.

If the tax has already been paid, shouldn't the EU be able to issue a judgement in this case? It seems that the EU likes to issue judgements about everything so this should also be able to be brought before them.
Old 13-07-2017, 07:47   #28

Quote:
I disagree. The fault is with Belgium for sure. No other European country has the same problem recognizing the reality in the UK, which is that you cannot buy undyed fuel in the UK, and that there is no infrastructure to supply undyed marine diesel fuel.

"Conforming" would mean constructing an entirely new fueling infrastructure -- not realistic at all in a country with 11,000 miles of coastline (about the same as the entire U.S. coastline including Alaska's) and hundreds of ports. And probably also replacing all the fuel tanks in all UK yachts, since you can never really get the red dye out.

You can't just "buy it until then in the next country on my cruise". You can't really ever get the red out, and certainly not with just one or several tankfuls.

It's not even relevant any more since the UK will be out of the EU altogether in a couple of years. This kind of mindless bureacratism is one of the big reasons why the Brits voted to leave the EU, which is terrible for everyone.
I'm totally with you The real issue is about whether tax has been paid, not the colour of the fuel.
Old 13-07-2017, 08:04   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
This keeps getting more bizarre by the moment! Thanks for the update.

If the tax has already been paid, shouldn't the EU be able to issue a judgement in this case? It seems that the EU likes to issue judgements about everything so this should also be able to be brought before them.
Yes, and other EU coastal states have flexible policies that allow British yachts to have red diesel on board PROVIDED they show receipts proving that duty was paid on 100% of the fuel. (Not the 60% or whatever which is more common -- since duty is not payable, according to UK law, on that part of the fuel used for heating and generating electricity).

That's a reasonable, practical compromise.

The EU has not acted. And with the UK leaving the EU, will surely not do anything now.
Old 13-07-2017, 08:14   #30
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Ramsgate sells white. A few others but not many.
Closed Thread

Tags
customs