Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2019, 07:56   #1

Boat: Baba 40
Bahamas - the next cruising domino teeters...

https://www.waterwayguide.com/latest...ews+07-10-2019
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 02:29   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Bahamas - the next cruising domino teeters...

Link not working for me.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:32   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Link worked for me.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:44   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

And me. It discusses the missed revenue from Charter craft which are in the Islands but booked and paid for in the US so the income and VAT doesn't go the Bahamas.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:28   #5

Dont know about Bahamas, but some other venues require additional boat registration fees and local reporting/taxes on charter guest stays...much like a hotel. This way taxes get assesed regardless of where the service was paid for.

Belize does this and they audit periodically...stiff fines for not reporting bookings.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:52   #6
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

seems that for the private cruiser there is only upsides in the story

- possible reduction in permit fee so that a 36' boat is paying the same as 200' boat
- possible permit fee reduction based on length of shorter stay
- online check in and payment of fee

does seem to be any "domino" in the story to me
Old 16-07-2019, 10:24   #7

Boat: Pearson 34-II

All politics aside and strictly based on Economics: If I were Ming the Merciless and I wanted people from planet earth to visit my planet--Mongo . . . would I make it difficult or easy for them to travel to my planet and spend their tourist dollars? A Ph.D. in Economics is not required to respond. Good luck and safe sailing . . . Rognvald
Old 16-07-2019, 11:40   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
All politics aside and strictly based on Economics: If I were Ming the Merciless and I wanted people from planet earth to visit my planet--Mongo . . . would I make it difficult or easy for them to travel to my planet and spend their tourist dollars? A Ph.D. in Economics is not required to respond. Good luck and safe sailing . . . Rognvald
If you could charge them and they would line up in droves to pay...why would you not?
Old 16-07-2019, 13:28   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
seems that for the private cruiser there is only upsides in the story

- possible reduction in permit fee so that a 36' boat is paying the same as 200' boat
- possible permit fee reduction based on length of shorter stay
- online check in and payment of fee

does seem to be any "domino" in the story to me

I’d bet that what you will see though is that a 90 day stay will be about what the current 1 yr one is and one year will be real expensive.

Which they may be shooting theirselves in the foot doing that as people won’t stay as long and if they aren’t in the Bahamas, it’s not likely they are spending money there.

So maybe they won’t jack up the prices realizing that they may lose income doing so? But it’s the Government, so who knows what will happen?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 13:29   #10

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
If you could charge them and they would line up in droves to pay...why would you not?

Hi, B,
I don't think that is the case in the Bahamas. I have spoken with many cruisers here in SW Florida that used to go every year but wouldn't return now for a multitude of reasons but the higher fees and/or the threat have certainly changed some peoples mind. There are always those who will go despite increases but if you want the economic benefit to the islands and their people, open the floodgate and encourage everyone to visit. We visited many small islands in the Bahamas in the past that had a direct benefit from "small dollar" tourism that translated into big dollars at the end of the season. Townie bars, fish shacks, knick-knack vendors, bread/pastry makers, smack boats, cafes, bottom cleaners, local mechanics, etc., etc. These people will miss the income when the flow of cruisers stagnates. I don't believe the Bahamas are experiencing an economic boom. Perhaps, they should rethink their marketing strategies. Good luck and safe sailing . . . Rognvald
Old 16-07-2019, 15:25   #11
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Gee, the fees are nothing compared to the cost of beer. Beer, cheese, beef, good bread, potato chips, - well, pretty much everything except rice and obscure parts of a pig costs a fortune in the Bahamas.

I personally don't have a problem with reasonable charges for cruising another country but really would prefer the money earned from the fees is used to pay for or improve the cruising experience.
Old 16-07-2019, 15:44   #12

Quote:
Hi, B,
I don't think that is the case in the Bahamas. I have spoken with many cruisers here in SW Florida that used to go every year but wouldn't return now for a multitude of reasons but the higher fees and/or the threat have certainly changed some peoples mind. There are always those who will go despite increases but if you want the economic benefit to the islands and their people, open the floodgate and encourage everyone to visit. We visited many small islands in the Bahamas in the past that had a direct benefit from "small dollar" tourism that translated into big dollars at the end of the season. Townie bars, fish shacks, knick-knack vendors, bread/pastry makers, smack boats, cafes, bottom cleaners, local mechanics, etc., etc. These people will miss the income when the flow of cruisers stagnates. I don't believe the Bahamas are experiencing an economic boom. Perhaps, they should rethink their marketing strategies. Good luck and safe sailing . . . Rognvald
One of the original reasons for the Bahamas upping cruising permit fees is that cruisers dont contribute much to the local economy: they bring their own lodging, transportation, much of their food, catch local seafood themselves, poo in the water...and then leave. Thats basically paraphrasing a comment of a Bahamian official at the time.

For most venues, cruisers tend to over estimate their economic impact.
Old 16-07-2019, 16:31   #13

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=belizesailor;
For most venues, cruisers tend to over estimate their economic impact.

I think the Rio Dulce is a place where cruisers really do have a major economic impact.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 17:45   #14

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Hi, B,

We spent April thru mid May 2016 in the Exumas, and did again in 2019. I saw more cruisers there in 2019, not less. Also more 100 ft+ yachts there.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 17:58   #15

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

We need to realize that one couple or one family that books a hotel room/s for a week, and purchases three meals a day plus booze, and souvenirs for that week has a much larger economic impact than a cruising boat does in the same weeks time.
The Bahamians know who is buttering their bread, and we cruisers aren’t doing it. We do add some to the economy, but way less than land based tourism does.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, cruising