Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2013, 11:00   #31

Re: Bad day for Artemis Racing

I watched the preliminary races (san diego?) maybe 6 months or more ago. in the smaller cats... really close races and exciting.... but those cats werent on foils.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 11:03   #32

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Apparently the Germans have quit after what happened.
Old 17-05-2013, 15:31   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

America's Cup Death Raises Concerns Over High-Tech Race Boats : The Two-Way : NPR
Old 17-05-2013, 16:23   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Just rem,ember the biggest loss of life in a sail racing situation in our part of the world was on "a proper seagoing boat" (Winston Churchill Syd Hobart). Three dead, and three others on the same race on varying sorts of monos, so don't get all high and mighty about modern boats using modern technology.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 17:05   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Just rem,ember the biggest loss of life in a sail racing situation in our part of the world was on "a proper seagoing boat" (Winston Churchill Syd Hobart). Three dead, and three others on the same race on varying sorts of monos, so don't get all high and mighty about modern boats using modern technology.
Point taken, but I don't think there's a comparison between offshore racing and the AC.
Old 18-05-2013, 06:02   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

BBC Sport - America's Cup: Luna Rossa team call for safety changes
Old 18-05-2013, 07:08   #37

Boat: Valiant 40

Yacht racing in big boats pushing the technological envelope has always been dangerous and it will always be dangerous if only because of the degree of forces at work the inherent need in a competitive environment to push equipment and crew to their limits for the sake of boat speed. In this respect, yacht racing is in the same league as the racing of any other machine. The only reason that NASCAR or Formula 1 is statistically safer is that there is a tremendous amount of experience and oversight at work over a long period of time.

Beyond that, it's hard to cite these guys for pushing too hard when our national bloodsport, football, is responsible for brain injuries in thousands of amateur teenage athletes every year. These sailors know the risks and they make a conscious decision to participate on these teams. And I'm going to bet every last one of them is loving every minute of it.

As far as Ellison's second objective, creating a format that his teenage kids would want to watch, he's making a point, and it's a valid one. To think he literally wants the AC to be the next snowboarding sport misses the point entirely. He's trying to make yacht racing entertaining, and he's succeeding. The AC has been the exclusive province of billionaires since it's inception and it is being transformed into something more than that. If it's successful in generating enough media exposure then corporate sponsors will be doing the heavy lifting and the sport will have broader international participation and generate more interest and exposure. I for one don't think that is a bad thing at all. Ellison was speaking euphemistically. What he really meant was "no one wants to watch wealthy yacht owners creep along a long course for an hour or two, particularly the younger audience that is the key to transforming the sport from a sponsorship perspective."

I think it is worth noting as well that technological advances funded by the wealthy trickle down fairly rapidly to the rest of us. New expensive features come out in the top models of cars and a few years later make their way into Civics. The same is true for yachts. We directly benefit from what these teams learn about design, materials, and construction.

It is tragic that a life was lost in this event. While it's cynical to point out that Simpson's death will generate increased interest in the event, it's also just plain true. But if Simpson's death results in more interest in the sport and a thorough review of safety in the AC, then it will have not have been entirely senseless. The man loved sailing, was superlative at it, and lost his life participating in it at the highest level. Godspeed to him and condolences to his family for their loss.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 08:15   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
He's trying to make yacht racing entertaining, and he's succeeding. The AC has been the exclusive province of billionaires since it's inception and it is being transformed into something more than that.
If anything, I would argue that it's exactly the same - in fact more so. It was once the province of millionaires, but with what these boats cost to design, build and replace, it now requires billionaires. As for changing the dynamic, yes, but the interest level? That remains to be seen. These boats are fast, no doubt, but the tactics are not transparent for a lay audience. Let's face it, most people who watch NASCAR are there to drink beer and watch someone crash. Is that really what Ellison, et. al are aiming for?
Old 10-07-2013, 19:16   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

America’s Cup sponsor Louis Vuitton wants a refund
America
Old 10-07-2013, 19:34   #40

Boat: PETERSON 44
All I want is the barnacles off my 2 thousand dollar boatie.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 21:37   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

The problem with the Americas Cup is not the boats. The problem is all the fighting they do on land.

12 meters were boring...sorry, they just were. ULDB's of the same length are faster. In working on the SF Bay on almost a daily basis, I have had the 72 footers very close quite a few times. You just have to see it in person to believe how exciting they are. I had one do a gybe right in front of us up on all four foils doing at least 30 knots.

I would hate to see sailing become a nanny sport where others decide how much risk professional sailors should be allowed to take.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:37   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
The problem with the Americas Cup is not the boats. The problem is all the fighting they do on land.

12 meters were boring...sorry, they just were. ULDB's of the same length are faster. In working on the SF Bay on almost a daily basis, I have had the 72 footers very close quite a few times. You just have to see it in person to believe how exciting they are. I had one do a gybe right in front of us up on all four foils doing at least 30 knots.

I would hate to see sailing become a nanny sport where others decide how much risk professional sailors should be allowed to take.
problem is that none of that excitement translates on video. Let's face it, the multis were just (yet) another cynical attempt to limit the field.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:26   #43

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Re-introduce the rule that has the vessels arriving on their own bottoms, and sail whatever the weather may be that day!

FWIW.

Ann
Old 11-07-2013, 12:42   #44
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

A great shot of the fan turnout for today's "race."

New Zealand picks up 2nd solo win in Louis Vuitton Cup - SFGate
Old 11-07-2013, 13:03   #45
Armchair Bucketeer

For Gorilla Advertising could do a lot worse than sail a couple of J Class yachts through the "race"..........

.......might even skewer a couple on a bowsprit along the way!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
racing