Originally Posted by KatKokomo
We appreciate the advisory but everyone has to make their own decision. We are finishing up re fit of our boat in Danao/Cebu and wanted to go south.
We are a German flagged vessel and lately our alert level has been raised from yellow to red. Our plan was to sail from Cebu to Negros to Puerto Princessa, Palawan to Brunei. Now what????
First both Peter and I say ignore the warning from Palawan down to Brunei. Both of us see nothing wrong and we are both conservative sailors.
1. You have an option to get to Puerto Princesa by heading North and the stopping in front of Caticlan.
Spend a day looking at Boracay.
This brings you down to Puerto Princesa without stopping in Negros.
2. However, if you have not seen the whale sharks I would swing first South to Tagbilaran on Bohol. Go see the Chocolate Hills for a day. Then early morning swing over to 9 27.7 N and 123.23 E. Head
to shore in dingy and leave someone on board. Person left aboard has to pace up and down and await turn to go to shore. Do not enter area with markers where they are feeding.
If you dont want to risk going into Bonbonon Bay..I will give you an alternate good overnight anchorage. See email
. Then head
across to Puerto Princesa.
3. A variation on Route
1 is to swing over to Coron and dont hit the reef just in front and beyond the dock
. Then come down West coast
of Palawan and stop in El Nido. Your last landing on Palawan should be just South of Quezon.
Then Balabac, Kota Kinabalu?, Brunei, Miri, Kuching?, Johor or Singapore
Note: Smaller monohull
owners, I do not recommend option 3 for you owing to sea state. Also look careful at incoming weather
. I expect one more Cat 4 typhoon in November and my guess is around November 16 it will cross Southern Negros and hit Northern Palawan November 17.
If my former captain
is available send for him. He has been on all these routes and stops aboard my vessel.