Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2013, 19:59   #1

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Armed robbery in Mexico

In Latitude 38...yet another robbery towards a cruiser. This time at gun point.

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 21:02   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Armed robbery in Mexico

The stretch of coast between Zihuatanejo and Manzanillo has come to be regarded by many who regularly cruise the Mexican Pacific coast as best avoided for overnight anchoring. This will only serve to further reinforce that point, I imagine, and it will be the many, many honest people along that part of the coast who will suffer from lost business as a result.

It brings to mind the violent robbery of Nancy and Dan Dryden, a cruising couple from Anchorage who were viciously attacked aboard their Southern Cross 39 Sunday's Child while anchored in Rio Dulce, Guatemala. Nancy was seriously injured and Dan was killed in the 2008 incident.

The locals there understood clearly that it would seriously threaten their well-being if cruisers began to avoid the area . . . so a coalition of local authorities and business-interests, more than likely, undertook to get to the bottom of things. It didn't take them long, either.

Soon, two known thugs in the area were murdered and two others were sent to prison. Problem solved. Extrajudicial, to be sure, but quick and effective.

TaoJones
Old 20-02-2013, 21:20   #3
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Extrajudicial, to be sure, but quick and effective.
Apparently not.

Vigilantes and wannabes sound the same everywhere.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 21:34   #4
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Get the heck out of there people... until the government gets all the killing and other violence under control again. The warning signs have been there for years and current events show it won't be long before cruisers get killed.

The killings in Guatemala have prevented us from going there too. It's not worth it, there are equally beautiful places without the problem.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 21:44   #5

Hopefully Toa, the local authorities realize the same...loss of revenue for the area. What I have never understood though is the slant Latitude 38 continues to put on these violent crimes. They seem to almost justify the behavior by paralleling it to crime in the States. To me, it's apples and oranges. I would not cruise L.A. on my boat because it has nothing to offer and is over-populated. Yet this small city in Mexico is a "semi-tourist" area with little population. Still, it does not dissuade me from making the trek down there. But it does heighten my awareness that no matter where you are or go...have local knowledge and act with awareness. When I travel, I always remember that I am their guest and that their laws may apply differently to me as to the locals.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 20-02-2013, 22:01   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
What I have never understood though is the slant Latitude 38 continues to put on these violent crimes. They seem to almost justify the behavior by paralleling it to crime in the States.
To be fair, it was a reader of Latitude 38 (and a friend of the victims) who pointed out the fact that there were four senseless murders in Orange County (where the victims are from) at about the same time as the robbery in Mexico, not anyone at Latitude 38 / 'Lectronic Latitude.

TaoJones
Old 20-02-2013, 22:26   #7

Yes...I realize that...but if you follow Lat 38 you will always see them defend the actions of the country. Especially when someone questions it. Maybe they want people to feel safe...I don't realy know what their reason or agenda is.
Old 21-02-2013, 03:54   #8

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

We were in Pacific Mexico for 18 months from Oct 2010 to March 2012 and loved it...

There are places cruisers don't go and I would imagine this will be added to the list.

Mexico is literally wired for sound, with four SSB/HAM Nets, a Yahoo Group, plus VHF Nets in all the major ports. The Coconut Telegraph lets everyone know what the situation is in every port or anchorage.

I am not a tourisum promoter, but I cant tell you we have now visited six countries with our boat and Mexico is still our favorite place...

It is cheap, the people are freindly and it is relatively safe. The areas were crime occurs is usually far away from the anchorages and marinas that cruisers use, especially when yuou get out of the larger cities.

In the last, year I have read or heard about four different sailboats boarded by criminals who subsequently robbed the owners and/or caused injuries. They were all in the Caribbean Sea and none in Mexico.

This is the first incident of violence I have heard against cruisers on the Pacific Coast of Mexico for several years. Like every where else, outboard thefts continue in certain areas of Mexico, but property theft does not keep me from continuing cruising.

The bottom line is that flaming Mexico or telling others not to go, because you have heard or read about crime there is silly... Using that reasoning you should also warn your friends not to go to LA, Washington, DC or Miami because they are dangerous.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 03:57   #9
CLOD

Boat: none

the way I read it is that makes 2 robberies in 10 years

sorry it happened, but lets not start going all wild west
Old 21-02-2013, 04:39   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Not to over react, but I'm sure there have been far more than 2 in 10 years.

In all fairness to Orange County, I'm certain the per capita gringo violent crime rate is much higher in Mexico and other parts of the third world than anywhere in the Western world.
Old 21-02-2013, 05:30   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

those of us here in zihuatenejo are waiting to see what the authorities will do--is under investigation.
the area needs money from tourism, tourism is dropping off for more than one reason. the economy still sukks, world wide. kinda hard to make a bit of change off the tourists any more.. this does not excuse the bandidos--there is no excuse for that.
there are still folks in zihuatenejo who travel north--and some still headed south--they will be avoiding coleta de campos this year. that will help to punish the area as no tourist dollars will appear there this year.

so we await information on the treatment of the problem......mexico is very dependent on tourism for income.

boatguy--i you are incorrect. you are not sailing here...we are. there have been few if any boardings with weaponry here in mexico.
dink thefts, yes--boardings for thievery--no.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 05:56   #12

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Not to over react, but I'm sure there have been far more than 2 in 10 years.

In all fairness to Orange County, I'm certain the per capita gringo violent crime rate is much higher in Mexico and other parts of the third world than anywhere in the Western world.
Crimes of violence against cruisers in Mexico, at least the Pacific side (I haven't followed the Caribbean siode), is very rare... Property crimes like outboard motor theft seem to continue at steady pace in certian areas like San Blas and Mazatlan.

As far as statistical data, especially per capita, Mexico is still below many "First World". For instance in one analysis, the UK had 186% more total crime than Mexico.

Another analysis said that the USA and Mexico each had 3.6 homicides by guns per 100,000 people, but that the homicide by gun deaths in Mexico were twice as high... I guess the Mexicans shoot straighter.

The same survey said that the USA had seven times the overall crime than the Mexico.

I guess what I am saying is some of us who have visited Mexico in our boats have a very different opinion of Mexico than those who haven't...

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 05:58   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post

. Like every where else, outboard thefts continue in certain areas of Mexico, but property theft does not keep me from continuing cruising.

I do not know for Pancho Villa country, I was only once in Mazatlan in 1976 and do not know who is stealing what this days, but that theft of outboards (and other equipment) i would take with pinch of salt.
there were outboard thefts from Dubrovnik to Istria in last couple of summers, but mostly in the northern part of the Adritic and around Istrian peninsula. and guess who police caught. cruisers, three Britons and two Italians.
scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 06:12   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

do you have access to cruisers passport info to determine who has been to Mexico and can rate their post based on that?
Old 21-02-2013, 06:12   #15

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

There are about 18,000,000 Americans in Mexico each year.

Tags
Mexico