Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2013, 07:47   #91

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Armed robbery in Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
Now see, that's exactly what I'm saying. If he had shot me, it would have been "innocent father senselessly killed by insane criminal".
If I had shot him it would have been "Violent maniac removed from society by good samaritan".
...but are you exactly sure it's not the other way around...lol
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 09:16   #92

Boat: Pearson 34-II

"Mexico is twice as safe as most of the popular Caribbean cruising destinations, which do not catch the knocking that some posters in this forum are very happy to throw at Mexico without really knowing the country or its people All I can say to them is stay north of the border we don't want you down here. Bigots and racists we can do without." Mexdon

So, Mexdon, if someone happens to disagree with you based upon personal opinion, personal experience or interpretation of statistics they are a "Racist?" How would you describe your statement in terms of syllogistic reasoning?
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 09:32   #93

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
"Mexico is twice as safe as most of the popular Caribbean cruising destinations, which do not catch the knocking that some posters in this forum are very happy to throw at Mexico without really knowing the country or its people All I can say to them is stay north of the border we don't want you down here. Bigots and racists we can do without." Mexdon

So, Mexdon, if someone happens to disagree with you based upon personal opinion, personal experience or interpretation of statistics they are a "Racist?" How would you describe your statement in terms of syllogistic reasoning?
Ya...I got that from a female member here on another thread regarding the Sea of Cortez. A male member was relating his experience of having a family member in the wrong place at the wrong time and was murdered. He did not slur the Mexican people at all but felt people knew more than they let on and felt that he could not trust anyone. So he was called a Racist. All I did was point out that his reaction was hardly race related. I mean...he was in Mexico...right?
In my opinion, that term has been slung around way too much since the 80's. Many of us that grew up in the 60's truly know what real racism is.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 09:33   #94

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Hmmm...

Im not gonna trash Mexico because i happen to like both Mexico and Mexican people, generally speaking. But if I was, and I were Hispanic, would I be racist? A lot of folks north of the border are wholly or partly Hispanic. Some like Mexico. There are others, i am sure, who dont. No need to throw the racism card on the table.
Old 25-02-2013, 08:34   #95

When a black man is offended when someone refers to him as black,
When a Mexican is offended by being called a Mexican,
The problem isn't the person making reference, it's the receiver who is offended by his own race or skin color.

If you are offended by who you are, must be tough looking in the mirror.

Anyways, let the numbers do the talking, and there should be enough fraudulent numbers out there to skew all aspects of reality.

If this is a one off, then that's what it is. God is in the details, unfortunately we don't have the details, so we can't pass judgement on the are based on lack of detail and statistics.
joeboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 08:54   #96

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
what 914 said.....

when one is awakened in mid of night, what is first thought.....
Jehovahs' witness? Mormon's?
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 13:52   #97

Boat: OEM, proportional

Quote:
when one is awakened in mid of night, what is first thought.....
Old 25-02-2013, 14:51   #98
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

considering their obvious means (maybe just a big payment and a state pensioned retirees), I'd say they got off pretty easy and did the right thing. even if the wife had been taken advantage of ( which other other posters claim is best reason to be armed) a Lagoon 470 can buy a lot of therapy.

Keeping a low profile and avoiding known trouble areas is the best approach in my opinion. although the American way is to be the biggest and best, lots of guns, etc; the value of my next boat will be approx 5% my net worth and be the smallest cat in most anchorages.

Of course at some point I'll also be concerned about the virtue of my daughter, which may change things a bit.

Tags
Mexico