Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2013, 16:45   #46
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Armed robbery in Mexico

great another guard pussy to worry about
Old 21-02-2013, 16:53   #47
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
great another guard pussy to worry about
Just one more advantage to owning a Cat
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 17:03   #48

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Well it beats murdering locals like the rest of this gun weilding forum seems to think is appropriate.

Perhaps we should take the advice of the great American thinker and philosopher Rodney King: Can't we all just get along." But perhaps, an even better response might be heard from the the now angelic voice of the late Don King who wished all his followers "Love, Peace and Soul." Rest in Peace brother Don!
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 18:04   #49

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post

The bottom line is that flaming Mexico or telling others not to go, because you have heard or read about crime there is silly... Using that reasoning you should also warn your friends not to go to LA, Washington, DC or Miami because they are dangerous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
the way I read it is that makes 2 robberies in 10 years

sorry it happened, but lets not start going all wild west
You see...this is how threads become polarized they way they do on CF. No one was flaming Mexico or turning anything into the wild west. It was a discussion on an incident reported by Latitude 38 and the fact that we are reading more of this stuff lately. the positive that comes out of it are cruisers in Mexico that are informative about nets and communication as a whole. Where to and where not to go.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 18:27   #50

Boat: OEM, proportional

Well then, the answer is to go where there are no people. Mind you, this has been tried before and every time it seemed to have worked they found that there were people there. It's a conundrum.
Old 21-02-2013, 19:03   #51
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Perhaps we should take the advice of the great American thinker and philosopher Rodney King: Can't we all just get along." But perhaps, an even better response might be heard from the the now angelic voice of the late Don King who wished all his followers "Love, Peace and Soul." Rest in Peace brother Don!
Heh . . . Don King . . . not quite. See below:

Don King (top) Boxing promoter - Don Cornelius (bottom) Soul Train host
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DON-KING-NET-WORTH2.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	55413   Click image for larger version

Name:	don_cornelius.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	55414  

Old 21-02-2013, 20:08   #52

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Connie and I met a couple about 20 years ago, up in Yacatat Alaska, we were in the same ancorage for about a week waiting out some weather ! and ya know what? They had a pet Skunk, and it was not de-smelled !! Now ya talk about a good robber deterent !! We don't have the gut's to get one but have thought and laughed about it !! What yall think about it ???
Old 21-02-2013, 20:24   #53

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Well . . . perhaps . . . but the armed robbers boarded the vessel with a clear purpose, so it's impossible to know what might have ensued if they were increasingly frustrated and only a sliding glass door stood between them and their intended victims.

TaoJones
To me that seems like a very good reason for "Right to Carry".
Mods, I know I know,
Whack me for it, but you know I'm right.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 20:31   #54
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
To me that seems like a very good reason for "Right to Carry".
Mods, I know I know,
Whack me for it, but you know I'm right.
Keep in mind, this robbery occurred in Mexico. No one should even think of taking a gun, ammunition or so much as a spent casing into Mexico. Anyone found with any of those items will be dealt with in the harshest possible way and will come to regret it . . . unless a person has always wondered what a Mexican prison looks like from the inside, of course.

TaoJones
Old 21-02-2013, 21:16   #55

You will never find me across the boarder, there is a lot that happens down there we never hear about. My sisters friend daughter was killed on a church vacation to mexico and it never made the news in the states. 50,000 people dead in drug wars.

nothing in mexico for me.
Old 21-02-2013, 21:47   #56

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
Well then, the answer is to go where there are no people. Mind you, this has been tried before and every time it seemed to have worked they found that there were people there. It's a conundrum.
People don't go there anymore because it is too crowded!
nimblemotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 23:01   #57

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Connie and I met a couple about 20 years ago, up in Yacatat Alaska, we were in the same ancorage for about a week waiting out some weather ! and ya know what? They had a pet Skunk, and it was not de-smelled !! Now ya talk about a good robber deterent !! We don't have the gut's to get one but have thought and laughed about it !! What yall think about it ???
Reminded me of a Trimaran called 'TRIAD' in the late '70's early 80's cruising around South America, they were peace loving hippies, they bought a little kitten that was being dragged in the dust on a piece of rope by some children.

They looked after the little 'kitty-kat' however it grew up to be some Sth American wild cat, no tail big teeth! Early morning and evening the cat would scream it's call and then do laps up the mast across the boom with great speed.

Many boats in that era lost their 'stash', Triad never locked a thing and lost nothing ,,,,EVER!

It's all about perceptions, robbers perceived they were not an easy target, and they perceived correctly.
Old 22-02-2013, 08:03   #58

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Heh . . . Don King . . . not quite. See below:

Don King (top) Boxing promoter - Don Cornelius (bottom) Soul Train host

Tao, please forget the unforgiveable slip of tongue, but when you speak of "Kings" and royalty and all that implies it becomes almost Freudian when names become confused and interchanged. In the heat of euphoric banter and uncontrolled reverence for the above named (yes, even the icon of American honesty-Don King) the mind cannot be responsible for such transgressions. But to you my brother of "the Way," I hope you accept my humble apology and a wish for "Love, Peace and Soul" in your life. P.S. The last quote, as you have you astutely mentioned, is properly credited to the late Don Cornelius of Soul Train fame. P.S.S. And, in hopes of furthering his profound legacy, I leave you, my brother, with the following tribute to this great man. Please excuse my digression, but I was truly caught in the moment.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 08:15   #59
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbri View Post
You will never find me across the boarder, there is a lot that happens down there we never hear about. My sisters friend daughter was killed on a church vacation to mexico and it never made the news in the states. 50,000 people dead in drug wars.

nothing in mexico for me.
The irony is that your location is given as Thailand. Murder rate higher than the USA and with an ongoing Muslim insurection as well as a couple of border disputes that go "live" now and again. Plus of course drug wars that do spark up now and again (the trick is to be on the side with the biggest Police - better for business )....and brewing civil unrest (apparently lots of folks have been smelling their end of the stick in recent years from being the peasant in a feudal society) - possibly that will become an armed conflict......or simply a(nother ) coup (which are not always as bloodless as reported in the press).......

.......oh, and Govt death squads, albeit to be fair, how else would you keep the lid on all that . The upside is that it makes a good place to have "secret" prisons, if you need to torture folks and sometimes make 'em dissapear in a way that is frowned upon back home......

But the locals smiling a lot makes for a good PR image .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 09:38   #60

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quoting LA as a comparison to an armed robbery in a third world country is disingenius. There are a lot of places I wouldn't go in LA either, and a tourist was ecently murdered there.

Avoiding an area with several recent attacks until the local police can aprehend the thugs, (if they ever do), is simply prudence.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico