Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2015, 08:24   #181

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Are the Seas getting more Violent?

Quote:
If we differ it is in our faith in humanity to act responsibility. I've worn myself out on that front and have become jaded in my outlook.
I understand. I fight with that all the time. When I feel like giving up I think of the tireless efforts of people who have dedicated their lives to the fight and do what I can. It isn't much but its what I can do.
Old 30-03-2015, 09:20   #182

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Yes, science is a self-correcting process that understands that all truths are contingent on current information, data and theory.

Christianity, Judaism and Islam are social systems of unchanging TRUTHS derived from the writing of Mesopotamian scribes based on events and beliefs that, by definition, are untestable, and unquestionable.

Completely the same thing

And there's the rub. Scientific truths are always contingent on current data and understandings (called scientific theories). Science is a process that is always challenging contingent truths. New data becomes available, new insights, new theories, and the scientific world will change. That doesn't mean it happens easy, or without political struggle. Science is conducted by humans, with all our foibles and ego-driven flaws.

But that's the beautiful thing about the process called science. It works despite our flaws. It is a process that drives us inexorably to improved understandings of the phenomena we examine. It's not a linear development, and there are backslides, and even outright fraud (in this way, scientists can be similar to holy people ). But the process of observation, theory, experiment/evidence, compare, and then repeat is a PROCESS which drives towards improved understanding.
Like in this case, making models and then issuing proclamations
Old 30-03-2015, 09:30   #183

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Like in this case, making models and then issuing proclamations
Therapy, all you're doing is displaying your complete lack of understanding of climate science (or indeed any science).
Old 30-03-2015, 09:48   #184

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Therapy, all you're doing is displaying your complete lack of understanding of climate science (or indeed any science).
That is what your "priests" always end up saying.
Every time.
You seem to think only you know about science, people, reading, and oh...wait....Climate.

Heh.

Thanks.
Old 30-03-2015, 10:03   #185

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You seem to think only you know about science, people, reading, and oh...wait....Climate.
I doubt very much that Mike thinks that. In fact I can tell by his posts that he doesn't. And neither do I. But I'm sure we can tell from your posts that you think you do. You throw the word "priests" and "religion" at us and all we are doing is pointing you to some very important information. If you don't agree that is fine. But if you don't take the time to even read or watch the information presented to you then that is really "contempt prior to investigation", which is ignorance. So, please leave personalities out of the discussion and focus on scientific investigation instead.
Old 30-03-2015, 10:24   #186
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Other than one or two posts by people actually out cruising, all i have seen is fight's about the distruction of the world. We are not going to save it this way folks. Mods please close this thread.
Old 30-03-2015, 10:39   #187

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Mods please don't close this thread. Just put it on ignore if you find it repugnant.
Old 30-03-2015, 10:40   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
I doubt very much that Mike thinks that. In fact I can tell by his posts that he doesn't. And neither do I. But I'm sure we can tell from your posts that you think you do. You throw the word "priests" and "religion" at us and all we are doing is pointing you to some very important information. If you don't agree that is fine. But if you don't take the time to even read or watch the information presented to you then that is really "contempt prior to investigation", which is ignorance. So, please leave personalities out of the discussion and focus on scientific investigation instead.
Quote:

Sorry, I should have said y'all huh?

It quacks like a duck.

So just leave it to Mike then instead of what you think he thinks. I might think you think I think we agree on some points. Then what do you think I would think about what he thinks you think about that?

But I wasn't and you didn't jump anyone previously that was. Is it because you don't agree with me? Or was it because they agreed with you?

And you are labeling me without knowing anything about me or what I have investigated. You sir, are doing exactly what you are complaining about.
So. Buzz off eh?
Old 30-03-2015, 10:41   #189

Yes. please do.
Old 30-03-2015, 10:56   #190
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Deep I started this thread in order to understand more about what is going on in the oceans now. I understand your passion and the belief system(s) involved. If you want an endless debate I suggest you start your own thread. Thank you.
Old 30-03-2015, 11:03   #191

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You are right Newt, thanks for the reminder.
Old 30-03-2015, 11:03   #192

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Other than one or two posts by people actually out cruising, all i have seen is fight's about the distruction of the world. We are not going to save it this way folks. Mods please close this thread.
As I said in my very first post here Newt (#4 in the thread): "You've already doomed this discussion by daring to mention "global warming." I can hear the stampede of naysayers already heading this way." You had to know this would happen. And yes, I need to apologize for contributing to the descent of the discussion. I must learn to be more stoic, and to ignore those who approach scepticism like religion.

For the record, I still think this topic is worth exploring. I posted references to increasing trade wind speeds, and long-term hurricane data. Your references to increasing wave heights are also very interesting. And Cornell's changing World Cruising Routes, which is adapting to the globe's changing climate patterns ... all these things are important items to be discussed.

Ann Cate shared her experiences, stating she had not observed these changes. It would be useful to have other observations from 'out there'.
Old 30-03-2015, 11:09   #193
CLOD

Boat: none

Isn't the reason the seas are more violent than in the past because there are more Americans with guns cruising?

Who would have thought that adding guns to a thread could lighten it up
Old 30-03-2015, 11:22   #194
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You're all my friends. Just tired by the nastiness of the debate. What are you going to do if I invite you on my boat and you see another CF member that you disagreed with? Walk off?
Old 30-03-2015, 11:33   #195

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Global warming threads are more volatile than anchor threads

It is getting too hot here so this thread is now closed.
Closed Thread