Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2015, 15:53   #136

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Are the Seas getting more Violent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
I don't see any difference between people running around worried about the climate warming and chickens running around worried about the sky falling.

The climate is changing. The climate has always BEEN changing. The climate will be in a state of change forever. The only difference is that we've gotten better at measuring it, and some of us have decided we can take advantage of that fact.

And that's the sum total of it. Things change. Adapt or become obsolete. Nothing has changed about this for billions of years.
Old 26-03-2015, 17:32   #137

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

You guys with pockets, deep or shallow, need to watch this next video because he talks (after the glacier science stuff) about how insurance is going to go up, what Florida is going to look like, how Fl. can't be protected by dikes (the Dutch have been consulted), costs in NY, etc. Very interesting. After watching this I am starting to understand why so many Americans deny GW. Its public policy in many places. For instance all Florida public employees are banned from saying the words "climate change". What the hell, the developers need to sell all that land before the flood. Bye the way, the sea level has gone up about 1 foot and it is going to go up a lot more.
Old 28-03-2015, 17:44   #138

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Anybody ever heard of this?

About 252 million years ago, around 90 percent of the species on our planet were wiped out in the end-Permian extinction, also known as the “Great Dying,” the worst mass extinction on Earth. It’s an ancient whodunit, with suspects ranging from asteroids to volcanoes. But it turns out the killers can’t be seen without a microscope.

According to MIT researchers, the culprit was a single-celled microbe called Methanosarcina that eats carbon compounds and produces methane as waste. This microbe exists today in garbage dumps, oil wells, and the guts of cows. In the Permian period, scientists believe Methanosarcina underwent a gene transfer from a bacterium that allowed Methanosarcina to process acetate. Once that happened, the microbe could consume large piles of organic matter containing acetate that were sitting on the ocean floor.

The microbe population exploded, spewing huge amounts of methane into the atmosphere and acidifying the ocean. Most plants and animals on land perished, along with fish and shellfish in the sea. But the microbes would have needed nickel to multiply so wildly. Based on their sediment analysis, the researchers believe Siberian volcanoes belched the large amounts of nickel needed by the microbes.

“I would say that the end-Permian extinction is the closest animal life has ever come to being totally wiped out, and it may have come pretty close,” says researcher Greg Fournier. “Many, if not most, of the surviving groups of organisms barely hung on, with only a few species making it through, many probably by chance.”
Old 28-03-2015, 19:26   #139

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

So, to "Live Long and Prosper", get rid of your nickles, and nicad batteries.
It'll also help calm the seas.

Ayn Rand
Old 28-03-2015, 19:28   #140
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Therapy,

I had not heard that one. Thanks for posting.
Old 29-03-2015, 08:33   #141

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Therapy,

I had not heard that one. Thanks for posting.
It is from the all-knowing internet so it could have originated from the Onion for all I know.
Old 29-03-2015, 08:48   #142
CLOD

Boat: none

I read it was a big ass volcano in India that was the root cause.
Old 29-03-2015, 08:50   #143

Boat: Rafiki 37

More from our collective God, and its minion: Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction_event

What's interesting is that many researchers now believe we're in the midst of the sixth great extinction: the Holocene
Old 29-03-2015, 09:00   #144
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

"The wonderful thing about science is that it's true whether you believe it or not" -- Neil de Grasse Tyson.
Old 29-03-2015, 09:01   #145
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
More from our collective God, and its minion: Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction_event

What's interesting is that many researchers now believe we're in the midst of the sixth great extinction: the Holocene
Old 29-03-2015, 09:03   #146
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

some folks refer to facing reality as having ones head in sand. sorry pal, i aint ostrich
penatuvo et alii in volcanoland make much more impression on our planet than all of humans combined
whatye gonna do...ban volcanic eruptions?
be kind to planet..yo momma dont work here..learn to pick up afterr yerselves.
y'all acting like we can reverse this long term trend....that is beyond absurd.
Old 29-03-2015, 09:19   #147

funny how folks who feel a deep seated NEED to judge others without being aware of REALITY, which is...
WHAT do YOU feel we as humans can ACTUALLY be able to effect insofar as REAL reversal of this NATURAL and CONTINUING process this planet has been doing for its entire existence..
i am a REALIST.

IFF you can propose a REAL and EFFECTIVE plan, then mebbe you can bash those who actually DO face reallity as opposed to the sheeple screaming the sky is falling.
remember that yer momma dont work here and you MUST clean up after yourselves...
Old 29-03-2015, 09:29   #148
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The answer will become increasingly clear in many of our lifetimes (I plan on being around for at least another 20 years). Someone will be chagrined at being wrong -- if it's the "warmists" it'll be an embarrassment for sure. We'll have to admit that the science, which looked right, was actually wrong.

If it is the deniers, the consequences will be slightly more profound. You'll be admitting that you were wrong and that you willfully ignored mountains of evidence in order to maintain that stance. A somewhat more damning indictment, I should think.

So go ahead. Chose your side.
Old 29-03-2015, 09:38   #149

there is NO side.
. politically, yes, there are sides, as the all controlling big brother wants to also control climate.
OR tax citizens for no reason.
believing in the REALITY of constant change is healthier than running about trying to repair something unrepairable and progressive.
personally, i do not care who has headupassosis
i live my way, as each of you judgementalists should also do
remember how your personal gods say....judge NOT lest thee be judged.
Old 29-03-2015, 09:54   #150

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
funny how folks who feel a deep seated NEED to judge others without being aware of REALITY, which is...
WHAT do YOU feel we as humans can ACTUALLY be able to effect insofar as REAL reversal of this NATURAL and CONTINUING process this planet has been doing for its entire existence..
i am a REALIST.
If you were really a realist on this issue Zee you'd realize that humans have had a massive impact on the plant's biosphere. From the lands now devoid of trees, to the extinction of numerous species, to the pollution of vast tracks of our planet, us little gnats are altering the planet in massive and substantial ways.

The fact that other events like volcanoes or asteroid impacts can produce larger effects in no way alters the FACT that humans have changes this planet substantially. THAT is REALITY.

I actually agree with you in that we can't do much to change our short and medium-term futures. If we turned off our fossil fuel civilization tomorrow, we'd still be dealing with the impact of global warming for generations to come. So does this excuse US from action?

The benefits of us cleaning up our act will not fall to this generation, and probably not even to the coming generation. Our kids, and our kids kids, will feel the greatest negative impacts of climate change if we carry on our path (and those impacts are mostly social/economic, not the stuff of Hollywood movies). If we alter our course now, our kids kids may start to see some of the benefits. Our actions TODAY won't help US one bit with regard to climate change, although wiser use of resources is always a good idea (as MOMMA always told us).

I think your lifestyle is part of the solution. You already live with a far lower impact than the vast majority of us here on CF. If we all chose your lifestyle, we'd go a long way to addressing some of the challenges.
Closed Thread