Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2016, 07:04   #1
Marine Service Provider
 
Steadman Uhlich's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 6,055
ARC Boat Swan 76 Fire Gutted Rodney Bay Photos

Crew fight to save ARC yacht after fire takes hold and rages on board...

Elaine Bunting, December 8, 2016

Swan 76 that had just finished the ARC rally was gutted by fire as she lay alongside at Rodney Bay Marina

A crew celebrating a successful ARC transatlantic crossing to Saint Lucia found themselves fighting a huge fire on board overnight to try to save their yacht after fire broke out in the forecabin.

The Swedish-registered Swan 76 ketch Pauline af Skanör was gutted through the forward part of the boat when the blaze took hold around 2230 while alongside at Rodney Bay Marina. One crewmember was on board, dozing in the aft cabin, when he smelt smoke. Luckily he was able to get off and raise the alarm before the fire spread.

The blaze grew so intense that the forecabin was said to be glowing red with heat. Smoke pouring from the yacht was visible several miles away. Fortunately there were no yachts berthed next to the Swan at the time.

Help came from other ARC sailors, including professional skipper Ross Applebey from Scarlet Oyster and some of his crew. They helped close hatches and stuffed the dorade vents with clothes to stop in the inflow of air.

The local fire brigade arrived with a diesel pump, but this kept shutting off. The crew of a superyacht berthed several pontoons away was able to run a large diameter fire hose down the dock and its on board pumps were used to blast water at the fire.

The fire continued to burn for some two hours despite the water being hosed at it. “The energy was incredible,” commented Ross Applebey. “We must have put 40 tonnes of water in the boat and it was still burning. The boat was way down on her waterline.”

Eventually the fire was quenched, but Pauline af Skanör is severely damaged by fire and smoke, as the photos show.

Staff at the marina helped the crew find hotel accommodation and took clothing away for laundering.

The owner of the yacht was due to arrive tomorrow. The insurance company has been informed. From first appearances and the evidence of the photos, however, yacht could well be a total constructive loss.

Read more at Crew fight to save ARC yacht after fire takes hold and rages on board
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1903.JPG
Views:	1082
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	137732   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1904.JPG
Views:	1022
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	137733  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1905.JPG
Views:	1002
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	137734   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1906.JPG
Views:	986
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	137735  

__________________

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:15   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,413
Re: ARC Boat Swan 76 Fire Gutted Rodney Bay Photos

smoking in bed, probably drunk as well
__________________

Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:22   #3
Registered User
 
Suijin's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Annapolis MD; currently in Luperon DR
Boat: Valiant 40
Posts: 4,465
Re: ARC Boat Swan 76 Fire Gutted Rodney Bay Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
smoking in bed, probably drunk as well
Pretty much that.

That marina is PACKED after the ARC, and fortunately the bigger boats lay along side the main dock, which is 20' wide. Still it's a miracle that it did not spread.

What I find rather amazing is that the fire burned for 2 hours and did not seem to move aft or sink the boat.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:41   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 617
Re: ARC Boat Swan 76 Fire Gutted Rodney Bay Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
smoking in bed, probably drunk as well
Where did you get this from?
The fire started in the forecabin of the boat
while the member was sleeping aft.
The linked article plainly states the fire is believed to
have been caused by an electrical malfunction
Not all sailors smoke and or drink and I
reject the stereotype.
We are not all "Drunken Sailors"
Iit does no good to wildly sepeculate with no
hint of evidence.
Glad there were no injuries.

Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:14   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,106
Re: ARC Boat Swan 76 Fire Gutted Rodney Bay Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Go View Post
Where did you get this from?
The fire started in the forecabin of the boat
while the member was sleeping aft.
The linked article plainly states the fire is believed to
have been caused by an electrical malfunction
Not all sailors smoke and or drink and I
reject the stereotype.
We are not all "Drunken Sailors"
Iit does no good to wildly sepeculate with no
hint of evidence.
Glad there were no injuries.

Cheers
Neil
Because after a long passage, many people have a few drinks. My guess is more do than don't. Because a fire in a bedroom or a berth in the later hours of the evening have historically been a result of someone falling asleep with a cigarette.

I thought the exact same thing. a few drinks and a cigarette before bed. Speculation is what it is. There is no need to 'take offense'. We have enough PC nonsense in this world. There is nothing to tip toe around here.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:19   #6
Marine Service Provider
 
Steadman Uhlich's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 6,055
Re: ARC Boat Swan 76 Fire Gutted Rodney Bay Photos

I read about this on social media (Facebook), where I saw this quoted article. In the comments there, someone posted that they read that 10 or more fire extinguishers were used to attempt to put out the fire, but that did not do it.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:36   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: San Carlos Mexico
Boat: PDQ 36
Posts: 140
Re: ARC Boat Swan 76 Fire Gutted Rodney Bay Photos

WOW, that was an amazingly hot fire, too bad about the boat, but thank goodness no one was hurt.
KiminAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:56   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 617
Re: ARC Boat Swan 76 Fire Gutted Rodney Bay Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Because after a long passage, many people have a few drinks. My guess is more do than don't. Because a fire in a bedroom or a berth in the later hours of the evening have historically been a result of someone falling asleep with a cigarette.

I thought the exact same thing. a few drinks and a cigarette before bed. Speculation is what it is. There is no need to 'take offense'. We have enough PC nonsense in this world. There is nothing to tip toe around here.
I took no offense, just a rejection of the stereotype.
That said,
I do appreciate truth and fact and the linked article
stated that it is believed the fire was electrical in origin.
All smoking boats I have ever been on had a strict policy
of No Smoking below deck, Period
If I was prone to speculation, given what was stated in the article
I would jump to an issue with shore power especially, after
a successful transatlantic crossing then a fire at the dock.
Fire on board, wether at sea or tied up at a marina
is one of the biggest dangers aboard.
Given the value of the boat I'm certain there will be
an insurance investigation.
The results of that investigation when known
will be important for all who ever step aboard a boat.
You are correct in one thing
PC nonsense and speculation
should never overrule Truth and Fact

Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:55   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bellingham
Boat: Outbound 44
Posts: 7,285
Re: ARC Boat Swan 76 Fire Gutted Rodney Bay Photos

Samsung Galaxy left in the forward cabin charging after a long voyage So what is up in the forward of these bigger yachts? A bow thruster and windlass, but they are probably hydraulic.
__________________
Paul
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 13:50   #10
Registered User
 
svHyLyte's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tampa Bay area, USA
Boat: Beneteau First 42
Posts: 3,866
Images: 25
Re: ARC Boat Swan 76 Fire Gutted Rodney Bay Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Samsung Galaxy left in the forward cabin charging after a long voyage ....
You say that in jest but it is a real possibility and was akin to my first thought when I read the story, particularly so when I read of the failing efforts to extinguish the blaze. I know of a case locally where a college girl put her phone (make unknown) under her pillow so she'd be sure to hear it, but not disturb her roommate, if it rang during the night. It became so hot that it set her pillow and mattress to smoldering. Fortunately, one of the kids awakened to use the lavatory, smelled the smoke, wakened the other girl and managed to get the thing out of the child's bed and into the toilet before the whole room went up. More lithium-ion (Sp?) powered devices have caught fire than just Samsung phones, unfortunately, and once aflame, they reportedly burn with a vengeance.

FWIW...
__________________
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 14:12   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: SoCal
Boat: Formosa 30 ketch
Posts: 532
Re: ARC Boat Swan 76 Fire Gutted Rodney Bay Photos

The fact that it took two hours to put it out points to the possibility to lithium-ion batteries up foreward. Ever seen videos of Tesla or RC airplane batteries going up? (Or Boeing aircraft). Those batteries have fuel, oxidizer, and ignition all in one nifty little package.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 14:34   #12
CF Adviser
 
Pelagic's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Posts: 8,364
Re: ARC Boat Swan 76 Fire Gutted Rodney Bay Photos

I think that the lack of an aggressive and properly equipped fire team is the reason it took so long to put out

I do not think the Superyacht crew geared up and went inside with a fog spray as they should have been trained to do.

They probably just poured water down a hatch from a safe distance
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 15:06   #13
Registered User
 
neilpride's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: in the world
Boat: csy 44 tall rig.
Posts: 3,108
Re: ARC Boat Swan 76 Fire Gutted Rodney Bay Photos

Refit waiting in Finland....
Glad boat and crew are ok, despite the damage....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 15:14   #14
Registered User
 
mdbrown's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Central Illinois
Boat: MacGregor M26S with aspirations to cruise
Posts: 36
Re: ARC Boat Swan 76 Fire Gutted Rodney Bay Photos

I'm glad everyone got out ok.

It's doubtful that they spent two hours putting water on the fire. They *may* have spent two hours throwing water at the boat. You have to put the wet stuff on the red stuff.

As for 10 extinguishers, if they are the little ones most people carry then could easily see that. They are good for a very small fire that has just started. If it's big enough that the heat is pushing you back, it's time to go for big water.
mdbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:47   #15
Senior Cruiser
 
SV Bacchus's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Presently cruising the Bahamas
Boat: Leopard 42 OV
Posts: 1,215
Re: ARC Boat Swan 76 Fire Gutted Rodney Bay Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Refit waiting in Finland....
If the vessel can be repaired, will they ever get rid of the smoke smell?
__________________

__________________
SV Bacchus - Living the good life!
SV Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
arc, photo

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crew Wanted: Rodney Bay to Fort Lauderdale JohnT Crew Archives 0 30-11-2012 14:27
Any CF Members in Rodney Bay St Lucia? mikefp60 Meets & Greets 1 30-09-2012 18:24
Any CF members in Rodney Bay St. lucia? mikefp60 General Sailing Forum 2 04-08-2012 16:27
Crew Wanted: Rodney Bay to Trinidad perry59 Crew Archives 1 19-05-2012 10:56
Opinions on Swan 44 vs Swan 441 Jolly Monohull Sailboats 5 09-02-2011 23:19



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:13.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.