Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2012, 16:58   #76

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Re: Apocalypse..any plans?

I wouldn't underestimate the chance of apocalyptic events,natural or manmade.911 was real,and so was the New Madrid earthquake.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 17:07   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danosimp3 View Post
I'd prefer a deck-gun that shoots beer cans filled with concrete.
On a serious note: perhaps another thread on defensive tactics aboard. I've often thought about getting into a shoot out on the boat. Most scenarios end with holes in something. Either me or target, and usually the boat. Any one got a reinforced firing position?
Steel boat baby!
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 17:30   #78
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisM View Post
By pure coincidence, my wife and I will be flying from Honolulu to Sydney on Dec. 20, arriving Dec. 22nd. Crossing the dateline will mean that we will never experience Dec. 21st.

So...my question is this: Will our plane contain the only people left alive on earth when we touch down...OR...will we get to watch the world disintegrate beneath us and have no place to land?

Maybe you will be on the main route fer the rapture and can sneak in without anyone noticing? You will be half way there already anyhoo! Just take a big step out the door...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 17:38   #79
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Maybe you will be on the main route fer the rapture and can sneak in without anyone noticing? You will be half way there already anyhoo! Just take a big step out the door...
you will get a good view from up there if there is a meteor strike
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 17:44   #80

Boat: Columbia 41

If the Mayans were to smart how come they didn't see the Spaniards coming?
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 17:54   #81

Boat: Block Island 40

Well, I don't put a whole lot of stock in the predictions of a civilization that isn't around anymore. If they couldn't figure out what was going to happen to them, how am I supposed to believe they could predict what's going to happen to me?
Then again; they may have seen this whole ficsal cliff thing coming long ago..
Personally, I'm more worried about JP Morgan's short positions in silver futures and the eventual run-up in the PM market causing them to dive and the Fed's willingness to use our money to bail them out. Total economic collapse will result, considering JP Morgan's multi-trillion dollar derivitives position that will bring down the house if they fail. JPM and HSBC have been playing with fire and we are all likely to get burned when the fiscal situation spirals out of control at the end of the year and there is a mad rush to safe-haven PMs. This will cause a financial apocalypse like the world hes never seen when the two largest banks get exposed on their PM shorts and cause the world economy to crash. That's when you'll see the "great awakening" that the Myans predicted.
I'll be chilling in the sun on my boat watching it go down. I'm currently headed for Puerto Rico where the sun's shine-shinin'.
I dumped a ton into PMs and stocked the boat with boose. I'll be partying like its 1999.
Old 29-11-2012, 18:12   #82

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas View Post
I wouldn't underestimate the chance of apocalyptic events,natural or manmade.911 was real,and so was the New Madrid earthquake.
I wouldn't over-estimate the chance either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Plan B View Post
If the Mayans were to smart how come they didn't see the Spaniards coming?
Now that's funny and good point. Personally, I think their calender ended because they ran out of ink!
Here's 10 Dooms-days that never happened.
By the way...We have a comet coming closer to the earth than any other time 02/2019. With that passing, scientist will be able to tell if it will hit the earth next time is come around in around 20 years after that. The thing is about 1 1/2 miles in size...A continent killer...have a nice day!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 18:24   #83

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

Didn't the calender end because the stonecutters went on strike?
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 18:24   #84
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

"The Mayans believed that December 21, 2012 AD is the culmination of a series of events over time that leads to towards an the ultimate spiritual awakening of the world ( The 2012 Apocalypse )."
"The Mayans viewed 'time' and 'dates' as a meshing spiritual cycles.
"The Mayan grand cycle of evolution will culminate on December 21, 2012 AD. The 2012 Apocalypse,
They believe the changes are underway and will continue steadily accelerating as we head towards this date." These are a couple of variations of the Mayan
Apocalypse. I never could figure out how this was interrupted as the end of the world...It might be that just the use of the word "Apocalypse" caused some confusion because what the Mayan definition was different from the biblical definition
Old 29-11-2012, 18:37   #85

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by flink View Post
Well, I don't put a whole lot of stock in the predictions of a civilization that isn't around anymore. If they couldn't figure out what was going to happen to them, how am I supposed to believe they could predict what's going to happen to me? ...
Then again; they may have seen this whole ficsal cliff thing coming long I'm currently headed for Puerto Rico where the sun's shine-shinin'.
I dumped a ton into PMs and stocked the boat with boose. I'll be partying like its 1999.
Smart move if the boat is full of beer. Rum? Not so much.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 18:46   #86

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Great to hear from you again, Anjou... glad things are working out for you. My wife was born on Dec 21 and if I forget that, my world will definitely change, and not for the better! Mayan predictions aside, it will either be a long day or a short one depending on which hemisphere in which you drop your hook. Cheers, Phil (no, not that one!!)
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 19:21   #87

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

Good Friends, Good Drinks,,Some good Chinese Food and Good Laughs...then GoodNite!!!! Lol

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 20:03   #88

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
" Age " , approx every 2150 years, holds different good and bad personafacations. At about, this time, we are to enter into the new " Age ",

An interesting video about this is on you tube

Starts off slow, skip to 13:30

Is everything on the video correct? Nothing is all correct, but it does make one think

Old 29-11-2012, 20:27   #89

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormantx View Post
Reminds me of the Y2K thing a few years back...looked out the porthole when I woke up and Boot Key harbor was still there, but the rum bottle was mysteriously empty.
That New Year's eve is the only one I stayed sober. Got paid handsomely for that though.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 20:33   #90

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
"The Mayans believed that December 21, 2012 AD is the culmination of a series of events over time that leads to towards an the ultimate spiritual awakening of the world ( The 2012 Apocalypse )."
"The Mayans viewed 'time' and 'dates' as a meshing spiritual cycles."
"The Mayan grand cycle of evolution will culminate on December 21, 2012 AD. The 2012 Apocalypse. They believe the changes are underway and will continue steadily accelerating as we head towards this date."
These are a couple of variations of the Mayan Apocalypse.
Actually these are all examples of things people claim the Mayas believed, but there does not exist any hard proof at all that the Mayas attached any special significance at all to the roll over of the most significant digit in the long count.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote