Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2009, 14:46   #31
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherT34C View Post
I agree with David. "Youngest to..." is a foolish exhibition that will end tragically. We'll officially blame the parents, but fault will also lie with those of us who give these "records" the attention they thrive on.
I agree with that as well.
Take out the foolish parent factor in these "Stunts" and there would not be these attempts.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 16:21   #32

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36
I have mixed emotions on this subject. My daughter holds three records for being the yougest to complete various long distance motorcycle rides. She wanted to do these, I did not tell her to, in fact I tried to talk her out of one of them. She really wanted to do them, so I let her and helped her. I don't belive she would have the confidence that she does today without having those accomplishments. Just because someone will ask, 1000 mile in less the 24 hours (age 15), 1500 miles in less than 36 hours (age 16), US east coast to west coast 2450 miles in less than 50 hours (age 17).
I did catch aome flack from some people for allowing her do this, but I felt she was mature enough and could handle it, and she did. That being said I have a problem with society telling me or my kids what to do. Society deals in generalities, and not individuals.
I think this world pays to much attention to other peoples business and not enough to thier own.
Old 19-08-2009, 16:30   #33

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
I agree with that as well.
Take out the foolish parent factor in these "Stunts" and there would not be these attempts.
I resent this. My wife and I have decided to conceive a son soon, and I am drawing up plans for a boat that will not only be capable of safely taking him solo around the world, but also be equipped to change and feed him. If this all works out it'll be tough to beat. Press packet to follow...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 16:31   #34

Boat: 1979 Hughes 35
Quote:
Thank god here in the EU, we have laws and attitudes to make life safer.Sometimes, some people need protecting from themselves, for their own good.
Am I the only one that has a serious problem with this? Since when is it up to a bunch of politicians to decide this?

I don't remember ever signing any document when I was born that gave "the government" power over my decisions. Also, who came up the idea that 18 years old is when one is finally allowed to make their own decisions? This just limits a teenager for many years, and they would grow up faster if society would allow them.

Its just scary that people have actually come except this total control, and actually think that the "government" should be able to make decisions for the population. The main reason I'm so drawn to cruising is the allure of true freedom, not slaving away for my entire existence paying taxes to a governing body that only has control and money in mind.

I'm sort of surprised that on a cruising forum, full of people who have passion for world adventure to find these negative posts. These teens and their families should have total control over their decisions regardless of others opinions. Even suggesting government involvement is scariest thing of all.
Freerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 16:40   #35

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36
I agree Freerider,

I want my goverment to protect me from my enimies, not myself. I am quite capable of doing that.
Old 19-08-2009, 17:25   #36
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endojoe View Post
Right....and "society" is better equipped than parents to determine how children should be raised?
"society" says kids are endangered in boats---gimme a break!!! let them sail--is better for them to sail than to sit in front of a tv!!!
and--yer SPOZED to not pay attention to the fishing pole whenye fish---yer spozed to sleep to catch a fishie--they know whenye are watching and wont bite anyway!!!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 17:40   #37
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

OK in defense of that statement I was just poking fun at Anjou. She lives in the UK and they can do what they like there. We already whooped em good so we can do what we like over here.
Old 19-08-2009, 17:47   #38

Oh, come on, Tellie. The tide is clearly turning. Tiny Tiger is U.K. too. And as soon as I figure out this wing walking on seaplanes thing, those world records are gonna be shattered.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 17:55   #39
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

OK, Let me know how that Seaplane thingy works out. You can reach me at Base camp Everest waiting for my eight year old to get back down.
Old 19-08-2009, 17:58   #40

Quote:
OK, Let me know how that Seaplane thingy works out. You can reach me at Base camp Everest waiting for my eight year old to get back down.
Hmmm, kind of got me with that one. Is she British?

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 19:58   #41
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
I agree with David that there is a great danger in making “youngest” such a newsworthy and overhyped criteria to have someone sail alone around the world.

Sooner or later an ambitious parent will cross that line of being a good parent because of a natural desire to prove that their 14 yr old child is “special”.

At what age? I don’t know…. but I think our social services have a part in setting up a legal age minimal, so as to remove the temptation to put a child in danger, even if the child is pleading with the parents to allow them.

In most industrialized countries, the Law states that a child under 16 needs to be protected from anyone 16 and above, who touches them sexually.

I think that is a good law because it sets the bar and ignores the circumstances of both parties involved to gratify themselves.

Allowing trained teenagers to set sail on their 16th birthday on a round the world solo attempt would be a fantastic rite of passage and incredible birthday present that I have no trouble accepting with today’s navcom and safety standards.

It would no longer be newsworthy and would hopefully be managed on whether the individual and boat was “ready”, rather than being driven by an artificial time schedule, which we sailors know is a dangerous component when deciding to go to sea.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 22:01   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
With these "youngest in the world" things I am always sceptical.

How much support does the trip get?
How close is the nearest support boat?
Who is making the calls on weather?
Who is planning the passages?

yada, yada...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 22:07   #43

Boat: Jason 35
My uncle parachuted out of a plane in WWII at the age of 15! But I get what David M is saying, and I somewhat agree with him. I heard that Zac Sunderland had his dad in a boat next to him the whole time. Don't know if that's true, but if it is, then David's point would be moot, wouldn't it?
Jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 22:16   #44
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace View Post
My uncle parachuted out of a plane in WWII at the age of 15! But I get what David M is saying, and I somewhat agree with him. I heard that Zac Sunderland had his dad in a boat next to him the whole time. Don't know if that's true, but if it is, then David's point would be moot, wouldn't it?
Categorically untrue, Jace. There were points along Zac's route where his father met him, primarily to repair the vessel. The Sunderland's are not independently wealthy, by any means, and with a brood of seven children (IIRC), Zac's parents did not have the luxury of forgoing any work, and its attendant income.

It was the rather Spartan effort that made Zac's accomplishment so much more inspiring than that of the young Brit who is about to break Zac's record (in a chartered Open 50 sponsored by Totally Money).

TaoJones
Old 20-08-2009, 10:23   #45

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
Even capable adults can die at sea.

Is it right to encourage a child to go somewhere intrinsically dangerous, even if they're as capable as an adult?

Should they spend a few more years alive before they risk the gift of being alive?

Just how safe is circumnavigation if properly planned? Isn't there always the rogue wave, the sudden gale?

I suppose the couch is the safest place to be, but where is the line of sanity for children? Should one be drawn?

The 16 year old girl will probably make it, but indeed, what if she does not for reasons beyond normal human control? Would she have been any safer statistically on land till age 18? In some places on land, the statistics are pretty grim for safety for any person.

There's the correct question - what are the statistics of danger in a circumnavigation for a properly equipped boat and properly trained solo circumnavigator, regardless of age? Can this 16 year old exercise sound judgement in the worst of conditions - solo?
First Mate is offline   Reply With Quote