Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2010, 12:46   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Laasqoray Online..... Wararkii oo fidsan
see above article,these people are trying very hard to help themselves,without much help from the rest of the world.
Old 04-11-2010, 13:46   #62
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Wow! I never realized this whole piracy thing was really our fault. First we ruined their tuna industry, then we flooded them with weapons. Hopefully we won't get arrested by the UN and put on trial in Brussels for crimes against Somalia.
We should given what we did inn Africa generally

Quote:
Perhaps we can put a hold on all economic development in the West so this doen't happen again with other countries.
I think were doing that very successfully at the moment

Dave
Old 04-11-2010, 14:06   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

passive resistance,simple yet effective

October 25, 2010 -- Updated 1910 GMT (0310 HKT)

A cargo ship owned by Beluga Shipping was seized by pirates. The ship was freed Monday.

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • The vessel MV Beluga Fortune was held captive for one day
  • Crew locked themselves in a panic room, shipping firm CEO says
  • Naval forces come to rescue as crew of 16 unharmed

(CNN) -- A cargo ship seized by Somali pirates off the coast of Kenya was freed Monday after one day under siege, and the German-based Beluga Shipping company said its crew of 16 was unharmed.
The pirates were thwarted after the crew of the MV Beluga Fortune locked themselves in a panic room and switched off the main engine, cut off the fuel supply, blocked the bridge and reported the Indian Ocean attack to military forces, said Niels Stolberg, president and CEO of Beluga Shipping GmbH.
The pirates, seeking a million-dollar ransom, were unable to maintain control of the vessel, and naval forces were able to come to the rescue, Stolberg said in a statement. The vessel continued its journey to Richards Bay, South Africa.
"The excellent behavior of our colleagues on board made such a swift and happy ending of the capture possible," Stolberg said.
Old 04-11-2010, 14:21   #64

Boat: Cabo Rico
Great outcome with this one.
Old 04-11-2010, 14:33   #65
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I have been looking for my safe room on the yacht beneteau just don't seem to have fitted one

Dave
Old 04-11-2010, 15:05   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I have been looking for my safe room on the yacht beneteau just don't seem to have fitted one

Dave
You open the hatch on your holding tank and then climb in. Nobody will come looking for you in there!
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Old 04-11-2010, 15:56   #67

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
passive resistance,simple yet effective

October 25, 2010 -- Updated 1910 GMT (0310 HKT)

A cargo ship owned by Beluga Shipping was seized by pirates. The ship was freed Monday.

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • The vessel MV Beluga Fortune was held captive for one day
  • Crew locked themselves in a panic room, shipping firm CEO says
  • Naval forces come to rescue as crew of 16 unharmed
(CNN) -- A cargo ship seized by Somali pirates off the coast of Kenya was freed Monday after one day under siege, and the German-based Beluga Shipping company said its crew of 16 was unharmed.
The pirates were thwarted after the crew of the MV Beluga Fortune locked themselves in a panic room and switched off the main engine, cut off the fuel supply, blocked the bridge and reported the Indian Ocean attack to military forces, said Niels Stolberg, president and CEO of Beluga Shipping GmbH.
The pirates, seeking a million-dollar ransom, were unable to maintain control of the vessel, and naval forces were able to come to the rescue, Stolberg said in a statement. The vessel continued its journey to Richards Bay, South Africa.
"The excellent behavior of our colleagues on board made such a swift and happy ending of the capture possible," Stolberg said.

But this is no real solution.

This post did not say whether anyone was captured or not.

If not then the pirates will just be out there for another ship tomorrow.

Oh yea, let's say that tomorrow all the big ships will have those safe rooms and none will be hijacked. And what do you think the pirates will do then? Go home and dust off their fishing nets. NOT.

They already know two English sailors are worth at least 500k. What do you all think they will be thinking? You can guess what I think.

Also, up till now the ransoms are being paid for the most part right? What is the consensus of opinion on what they will do if they are not paid? Yep, you can guess what I think. They will execute at least one to see what happens.

What will the world say then? Pay them or kill them back?
Old 04-11-2010, 16:07   #68

Why do some people need to find reason to sympathise with these criminals, they are criminals, what they do is a crime and not a minor one. Pull your heads out of your arses; being warm and fuzzy towards these low lives is not going to slow the problem. Being poor are not and never have been an excuse for robbing kidnapping and killing.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
Old 04-11-2010, 16:08   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotQuiteLost View Post
This is potentially another horrifying example of a situation which has been allowed to spiral out of control. Not sure what can be said that doesn't sound trite, at this point.

The thing that sucks the most about this pirate situation is that somehow, someway, a government (or group of governments) is going to use this (greater) situation to curtail freedoms in some way or another for us sailors.

If every yacht was required to pack firepower as part of its insurance policy, word would get out. And if there was a legal 'safe zone' or somesuch that, once violated, permitted the target vessel to defend themselves proactively rather than waiting for the AK-47's to open up at point blank range, it would deter many of these 'pirates.' I'm not saying it makes attacks impossible, but nobody wants to take fire, especially at the likely small ransom they can collect off a yacht.

A tanker is one thing, where the payoff is in the millions. You probably are willing to take that risk if you're a criminally-minded individually, but not when the best you can hope for is a couple hundred grand divided umpteen different ways.

God forbid we actually go back to the days where pirate hunting was a profitable enterprise. Figure out a way to do that, and in this economy, the problem would get cleaned up in short order.
I carry 12 gauge signal cartridges and put them on an arrow I could fire at an attacking vessel and it will cause a fire that cannot be extinguished as a bullet hole can be plugged with cloth or a cork. It would be fun watching pirates going for a swim, no?
Old 04-11-2010, 16:10   #70

I carry 12 gauge signal cartridges and put them on an arrow I could fire at an attacking vessel and it will cause a fire that cannot be extinguished as a bullet hole can be plugged with cloth or a cork. It would be fun watching pirates going for a swim, no?

zenigma
Old 04-11-2010, 16:32   #71

Boat: Tayana 37
Hey Lakesuperior, I agree completely with post #50.
Hello Aussiesuede, thankfully there is no list. My point is that blaming the west for not doing for these people or feeling sorry for them is pointless. Huge amounts of western aid has been turned into better killing tools. Leave them to wallow in it until they've had enough and are willing to take responsibility for their standard of living. In the meantime we should figure out ways to make these pirates hurt.
Old 04-11-2010, 16:39   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Why do some people need to find reason to sympathise with these criminals, they are criminals, what they do is a crime and not a minor one. Pull your heads out of your arses; being warm and fuzzy towards these low lives is not going to slow the problem. Being poor are not and never have been an excuse for robbing kidnapping and killing.
but it was okay for the early colonial powers to do it to ,the abbos,the dervishes,the american indian,south sea islanders,west africans ,marquesans,algerians,incas etc etc etc
Old 06-11-2010, 08:04   #73
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Interesting line in new Ecoterra website re this incident:

Quote:
Rumours on captured yacht persist (ecop-marine)
What had been reported by a news-hound from Reuters following rumours originating from the Seychelles, which had pretended that a sailing yacht with three persons had been abducted, could so far neither officially nor from any credible local source be confirmed, though it had triggered a frenzy in the British media.
However, it could well be that in the world of yachting around the Seychelles, where drug-smuggling is not uncommon, an incident of any sort might have occurred, which some want to cover up and others want to use for their own agenda.
Somalia Piracy reports from Ecoterra November 3

I guess that means it didnt happen.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 06-11-2010, 08:15   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Joe View Post
he would carpet the decks with fly paper studded with carpet tacks. .
That's what Slocum did -- minus the fly paper -- in Patagonia.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:18   #75

Location: December 2014 Back in Marmaris Turkey getting Dora Mac ready to put back on the market.
Boat: Diesel Duck 462 M/V Dora Mac
Hostage Shot Dead

Hostage shot dead by Somali pirates
Closed Thread