Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2006, 15:49   #1

Boat: Sunray 25' KnottybuoyzII
Another Sad Chapter for the Stuemer Family

The Stuemer Family was from the Ottawa area. Diane, the mother, had a brush with cancer and that was the ephany for the family. They sold their businesses and everything else and bought a boat and sailed around the world. Diane wrote of the family adventures and they published them in the Ottawa Citizen. It was like the entire part of the province took the adventure with them.

When they finally returned home, things did not go so well. There eldest son, Jonathan, was having alot of difficulty settling back into land life. Diane's cancer returned in 2003 and this time it beat her.

Jonathan was just arrested last night for attacking his father while he slept.

http://www.cbc.ca/ottawa/story/ot-stuemer20060619.html

Not many details have been released, but I hope this latest incident gets him the help he needs to cope.

Lori, Rick and Shadow
Knottygirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2006, 19:25   #2
Kai Nui

Very sad. AND, very out of the ordinary. I have never know any kids raised on a boat to be worse off for the experience, but then again, who knows what else has gone on in his life. I agree with you Lori, I would hope this gets him the help he needs.
Old 20-06-2006, 10:39   #3
cruiser

Agreed. Most kids and adults I've met that were raised liveaboard are better adjusted than many on land - without a lot of bad influences. Although, they tend to call the front of a car the "bow."

Probably losing his mom is what did it.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2006, 12:08   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
There will be more to the story than we get to see. I have been working full time with Kids just like him for two years now. It's hard work. Some days you just want to cry for them, some days you want to cry with them, some days you want to bang your head against the wall, some days you want to bang their heads against the wall and if your lucky, on the occasional day, you get to see a difference. It maybe small, but it is like Gold. Preciouse.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2006, 18:03   #5

Boat: Sunray 25' KnottybuoyzII
I don't believe that Jonathon's problems we a direct result of his family's adventures either. If it had any impact on what has happened since, it was that he missed the freedom and adventure. The death of his mother less than 2 years after they returned had to have had a major impact.

He has been charged with attempted murder and has been sent for psychiatric evaluation.

One note, though, Jonaton was the middle child, not the eldest. He was 9 when they sailed away and 13 when they returned.

If anyone is interested, have a look at the site that was created to follow their adventures. www.northernmagic.com

On one last note, It was Hurbert's dream to sail around the world, from before he met Diane and they had the children. She tolerated the water, hated fish and most things boaty, so he buried the dream. Then, after 20 years of family life in the rat race, Herbert was injured in an accident at work and Diane was diagnosed with cancer. At that time they sat down and evaluated things and decided it was now or never. Diane, once opposed to the idea then fully embraced it and infact, meticulously documented it on the site.

Lori, Rick and Shadow
Knottygirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2006, 08:07   #6

Maybe it was being front page news that made him 'go off'.

Not everyone likes being the center of others attention, especially when the attention is part of 'bad news'.

I wish the family the best. Often the best we can do is leave them alone.

randy
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote